Morgathian undead armies...struggling for a plausible lie

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

GarryHamlin
Villein
Villein

Morgathian undead armies...struggling for a plausible lie

#1 Post by GarryHamlin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:40 am

So there are already rumors around Rethem about stockpiled gulmorvrin armies awaiting the command for action. And, as in my campaign, it seems likely that people would eventually stumble on caches of these dormant minions. And it's hard for me to imagine that people wouldn't find this disturbing. So I'm wondering if the Morgathian church wouldn't have some plausible story (lie?), consistent with Morgathian theology to explain what all these undead are lying in storage for. And I'm presently stuck for suitable public affairs spin for this. (Reports are false, the bodies aren't there, you never saw them? They're there in event of the need for national defense?) Has anyone come up with a creative explanation for this disturbing presence that works in their world?

Krazma
Constable
Constable

Re: Morgathian undead armies...struggling for a plausible lie

#2 Post by Krazma » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:55 am

Why would the Morgathians need to lie about their goal? It's chaos. Darkness. The destruction of order.

GarryHamlin
Villein
Villein

#3 Post by GarryHamlin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:32 pm

My thought process there is that the faith is legal in Rethem, which (I assume) would not be the case if its followers were openly acknowledging that they were seditious. E.g., If you're the token Agrikan on Golotha's heptarchial counsel and your Morgathian counterparts are openly discussing their plans for the end of civilization as we know it...well, wouldn't that make the rest of the concerns of the council...sort of moot? What sort of business would you get around to discussing with that on the table?

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#4 Post by Krazma » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Well, they don't really have too many other concerns. Golotha is pretty dark and chaotic. The Heptarchial Council is essentially just the continuation of the Theocracy. See Golotha 2.

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#5 Post by Derfman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:25 pm

In my pharn the stockpiles are not especially large.

True, over centuries, a few undead a year adds up.......

.....If they don't get used up, lost or destroyed.

With a the infighting and shenanigans the morgathian clergy get up to, every few decades they burn through some of their stock, often against other clergy......

.....and some get used up against adventurers....

A possibly large number a lost, pharn as desired. When a senior Morgathian cleric is ......retired...... the location of his secret stockpile, if any, dies with him.....
....so, a number of lost small to medium stockpiles are just.... lost.

And in my pharn they just don't make huge numbers of them. They make as many as they can, but I enforce some limiting factors.

Peter the skald
Grand Master Silly Bugger

#6 Post by Peter the skald » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Stockpiles of the deceased centralised, venerated, protected, shielded from direct gaze....

Which to most human societies is normative burial/cemeterial ancestor worship. The difference between a morgathian and peonian/laranian/christian/roman etc etc etc dead storage facility is that in the morgathian one the dead move. Sometimes. When commanded by a priest. (let's talk voodoo) Or commanded by their god. (biblical references)

Outside of observing such life changing (ahem) events...they are just burial sites......
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#7 Post by Targan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Where around the Morgathian temple will you find the undead horde? Why, at the dead centre of course.
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli

GarryHamlin
Villein
Villein

#8 Post by GarryHamlin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:28 am

When a senior Morgathian cleric is ......retired...... the location of his secret stockpile, if any, dies with him.....
....so, a number of lost small to medium stockpiles are just.... lost.
I love this idea!

Peter the skald

#9 Post by Peter the skald » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:56 pm

Indeed, it is fair to assume that due to the cleansing after the theocracy whole batches of u dead and knowledge of have been lost.
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#10 Post by MDMann » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:02 pm

The Laranians and to a lesser extent the Agrikans also destroy them sporadically. Ditto the Siemists and Sarajinians. Those who probably destroy the most one way or another are probably the Navehans.

It's not going to stop their accumulation of course but will seriously slow it down.
Per Sir Veer.