Crossing Borders: The Warriors Grave and Foreign Travelers

This is where you can talk about HârnWorld places, people, religion, magic, society and cultures, etc. Ask questions about published towns and cities, ruins, mines, and gargun nests, mysterious map references, and battle sites.

Moderator: Spartan

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

Crossing Borders: The Warriors Grave and Foreign Travelers

#1 Post by Nightly Knight » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:39 am

In The Warrior's Grave module, it states that Sir Lardis islikely to be highly suspicious of armed traveelrs. I think this is an interesting exampleof moving around borders. So howdoesit work though? If, say, a party is sent from Jedes to investigate something in Shenadun, how do things get resolved peacefully? Some form of diplomacy?

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Crossing Borders: The Warriors Grave and Foreign Travelers

#2 Post by Rothesay » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:43 am

You tee up the key question - why is Jedes sending anyone to investigate something in Chybisa?

I should think it would be common courtesy to 'check in' with the local lord even if one is from the same kingdom if conducting some sort of official business on his land. This is even more true if a foreigner.

Plus, there is that whole invaded from both sides thing. Chybisans are apt to be a bit tetchy about that I would think. :lol:

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#3 Post by Targan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:47 am

Rothesay wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:43 am
Plus, there is that whole invaded from both sides thing. Chybisans are apt to be a bit tetchy about that I would think. :lol:
Yes, Chybisan nobles would tend to be some of the more paranoid land holders on Harn.
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#4 Post by Nightly Knight » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks for the replies. Both of you made clear that it is reasonable for Chybisan nobles to be very wary, and I agree with that assessment. So IF it were to happen, I have these further questions:

1. Would a fairly wise noble (in this case either Balim himself or the Constable) prepare the way in advance by asking permission to enter the area or

2. Would they try to rely on courtesy and on the spot diplomacy? (God help us, PC proximinity alert)

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#5 Post by Rothesay » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:34 am

I would combine the two in order to give your PCs the chance to be involved. Have Balim (or whomever) send credentials like a letter of introduction, asking permission to etc., etc. But ...

Then give your players the opportunity to manage the interaction on the scene. Throw in a monkey wrench - maybe the Laranian chaplain catches a PC's eye or some other faux pas that irritates Sir Lardis. You get the idea.

Warrior's Grave is a nifty adventure - I ran it for a one-off group back in the day and it was great fun. 8)

Thamias.
Bailiff
Bailiff

#6 Post by Thamias. » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Nightly Knight wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:24 am
Thanks for the replies. Both of you made clear that it is reasonable for Chybisan nobles to be very wary, and I agree with that assessment. So IF it were to happen, I have these further questions:

1. Would a fairly wise noble (in this case either Balim himself or the Constable) prepare the way in advance by asking permission to enter the area or

2. Would they try to rely on courtesy and on the spot diplomacy? (God help us, PC proximinity alert)
If you want to go with the mood of the module, I would think the reaction of Lardis would largely depend on the party and how they approach the fief.

A party of armed commoners strolling around on Lardis' lands without an obvious good reason to be there (like guarding a merchand or a group of miners) would be considered to be either brigands or henchmen of clan Gwantir. They can count themselves lucky if they receive any chance to declare themselves before they are butchered. If they are not attacked, they would be disarmed and thrown off the fief.

If they are commoners and want to approach the lands without causing too much trouble, they might consider to act (or become) miners, trappers or mercenaries guarding the miners. All three groups have a good reason to go to Shenadun. Since Sir Lardis wants his manor to grow, he will not discourage these groups. If they play this well, they might even get the lord's support and protection.

If they don't mind hard work, the party can come as labourers. Sir Lardis is desperately short of hands to do all the work on his fief, so he will likely welcome them, if they have a good story why they are coming (like being runaway serfs from Kaldor in search of freemen acres and protection from Kaldoric pursuers).

If the PCs are a party of knights in full battle armour, arriving in the vicinity of Shenadun without any diplomacy in advance is unwise and would likely result in an extreme reaction. Lardis would probably close his gates, arm his militia and retainers and send a rider to the baron to raise the alarm.
What could a party of Kaldoric knights want in Shenadun, if they are not the scouting party for a much larger force?

If they present a letter from the earl of Balim, Lardis would very likely discuss this with the baron. The PC nobles would also be expected to visit the baron's court first. He might ask some questions, why they are there.

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

#7 Post by zrayaan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:36 am

Realistically, Balim sends a junior herald. Knowing him, he waits until he has a better excuse to cover his real motivation. The excuse will provide cover for the PCs activities. Because of this, timing might not be right away.
Cheers, Konnel.

Eshâyaél | Green & Pleasant Land