Welcome to the new Lythia.com

Announcements, news and updates of things that affect members. NEW MEMBERS & GUESTS PLEASE READ.
Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the new Lythia.com

#1 Post by Leitchy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:29 am

Yes, Lýthia.com has finally had a face lift after many years of looking the same. The new site uses Wordpress, a popular weblog software package. I hope this makes the content of Lýthia.com fresher and more constantly changing. There is an RSS feed for those of you who like that kind of thing (I've just started using Google reader myself, so I know it works). But let's begin at the beginning for those that are confused.

So what the hell is going on?
Lythia.com and the HarnForum used to be two different web sites built using different software packages; Lythia.com used Post Nuke, and the HarnForum used (and still uses) phpBB. Each website required a user to register; that is, a user had to register on both sites, each independent of the other. Not long ago, I amalgamated the two sites, putting the forum software "underneath" the main Lythia.com site name. But that didn't change the need to be registered on both areas.

Now the main site has been updated. I no longer use Post Nuke; instead I decided to use blogging software from WordPress. Just like Post Nuke, it requires registration of users, and this is still separate from the phpBB software that the HarnForum uses. And, unfortunately, I was unable to copy user registration details from the old Post Nuke software to the new WordPress sofftware; the two systems are incompatible that way.

In case you don't know, blogging software allows for others (subscribers) to respond to individual blog entries (called posts) with comments of their own. I have set up Lythia.com so that only people who are registered with the blogging software (NB, not registered with the forum because that's separate) to make comments on posts. You don't NEED to be registered if you have no intention of leaving comments, you can use the site the same way everyone else does. Or you can delay registering until you DO want to make a comment. Either/or, I don't mind. :)

So what's this about the forum again?
Going back to the beginning; phpBB, the software used for the HarnForum, has recently gone through a major upgrade (from v2 to v3). This new version was five years in the making. It has significant new functionality and new security. It's hands down a vital upgrade. When I moved the HarnForum from its own website (the old http://www.harnforum.com) to its new home under Lythia.com, I upgraded the forum software to an early release candidate (a beta version, if you like) of the new v3 phpBB software. All was good for a long time.

But finally, the developers of phpBB finalised the new software and released the official new version. I didn't know this, but there had been 5 other beta releases since I installed the new HarnForum and some of these made changes to the behind-the-scenes database. So when I upgraded, things went south a bit...the HarnForum suddenly became unusable. And the only way I could see to fix the problem was to start from scratch and then move the information from the old into the new.

Now comes the part where we join things together. Since I was intending to update Lythia.com with the new blogging software in the very near future anyway, I decided to bring that forward to mesh with the new install of the Harnforum using the brand new version 3 of the phpBB software. Of course, I hadn't quite finished porting all the downloads across....

Where are all the downloads?
Very few of the downloaded are available. I plan to rectify this over the next few weeks, but there are a few hundred files, and each has to be linked in, and a post made. Yes, I have found a way to track downloads. :)

Why Blogging Software?
I wanted to use blogging software for several reasons; the first and most important is to allow easy content updates to Lythia.com. The second is to allow me...or force me...to write. I want to be a writer, and the strongest , most frequent advice I get is to write, then write some more, and then write again. Write every day. Writing is something that must be practiced, so I'm told. Blogging about myself has no attraction, but blogging about Hârn, well, that's something I can try to do. The third reason is to open up authorship to a select few others; to give other Harn writers an opportunity to write short blogs on their topic of choice.

But that doesn't mean I'm restricting authorship; far from it. I encourage everybody to have a go, but you will need to contact an author with your piece and they will advise, edit and put the piece up on Lythia.com. This, I hope, will encourage contributions from those for whom English might be a second language, or for those English speakers who don't have as solid a grasp of the technical aspects of writing as they might like. This is where you can start to learn. The authors I plan on having will have a proven track record of publishing material.

OK. So, anything I should know about?
Yes. Installing the new version of the phpBB forum software has had the undesired effect that you will have to delete all Lythia.com cookies from you browsers (see here for details of how to delete cookies), and you may have to upload your avatars again. I don't know about uploaded attachements; these may have failed to link back in, although I did copy them across. If you have uploaded files in the past, please check your threads to see if they still link to them. If not, please upload them again (you can edit your own messages), and let me know (see address below).

If you have any problems or you want to contact me for any reason at all, then please send me an email. For the time being, the address is new-lythia@lythia.com (this address won't last very long).

---------------------

NOTES:
Registering: Sorry for the confusion; Lythia.com is made up of two main components; the BLOG site and the FORUM site. You will need to register on the BLOG site if you wish to make comments on articles written on the BLOG site. If you are already a member of the FORUM site, you don't need to register there again. If you are new here, you will need to register on BOTH sites.
Register here for the BLOG site
Register here for the FORUM site <--- Don't do this if you are already a member of the HârnForum!

(Edited to expand on the amount and quality of information provided. Sorry, TheRealMe! :oops: )
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

TheRealMe
Yeoman
Yeoman

Re: Welocme to the new Lythia.com

#2 Post by TheRealMe » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:50 pm

Sheesh! Sounds like a lot of work for you. What was wrong with the old forum? :D

This is my first post, and it seems to be working, so far, though I have not re-registered.

- Ed
"Your logic is flawless. But that doesn't mean you're right." - Tedd Good

TheRealMe
Yeoman
Yeoman

#3 Post by TheRealMe » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:55 pm

Oh, maybe when I thought that I was logging in again, I was actually re-registering... Confused now, and will go away.

- Ed
"Your logic is flawless. But that doesn't mean you're right." - Tedd Good

foulspawner
Villein
Villein

#4 Post by foulspawner » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:01 pm

I like the new look, still getting used to the layout, but so far I'm enjoying the new "tag" feature. One can only dream of all Harn content being ditigally linked like this =P~ . Once all the content gets put back in this will be very useful in finding related articles/content.

Well done Leitchy and thank you for always looking for ways to improve this hub of the Harnic community :D

rob
Knight
Knight

Re: Welcome to the new Lythia.com

#5 Post by rob » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:00 am

I had to 'suffer' no Forum withdrawal for a day Peter!!! A day without the Forum is, well, like a day without sunshine. Glad its back. And oh Peter, THANKS for another great job. :D

Bartender
Cottar
Cottar

#6 Post by Bartender » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:51 pm

The new website looks a great deal better than the old one. Good job! :)
Regards

Bartender

Nichola
Knight
Knight

#7 Post by Nichola » Sat May 10, 2008 12:32 am

Just to nag a little, I've had a couple of people PM me to get copies of articles that haven't been restored yet. I don't mind terribly, but worry about those that decided a PM was too much effort. If there's anything us remote people can do to help, I'm sure there would be some volunteers.
Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE! -- Agatha Heterodyne

Dan Bell
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dan Bell » Sat May 10, 2008 7:33 am

I think many of us would like to help.
(I should point out Leitchy is working on adding files. See the section on downloads: Avertu, Athelren, Vil Abbey, Tashal: Upper East Side, and Tashal: Eastside City Block were all added in the last 24 hrs.) Thanks Leitchy! :D
Visit the Nelafayn Hundred Project
http://www.lythia.com/harnpages/nelafayn/

Neil
Constable
Constable

#9 Post by Neil » Sat May 10, 2008 6:50 pm

Thanks Neil, edited for spelling. -Dan
Uxbridge English Dictionary:
Iconography: Filthy Byzantine pictures

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by Leitchy » Sun May 11, 2008 12:05 pm

Things are going back up, yes, but slowly, slowly.... I'm a lazy barstool, after all. So if people want particular things put back up, please let me know, either by PM or by mail (see sig block below).

Unless you tell me what you want, you may have to wait until I get around to it....which as we all know could take forever + 1 day. :)

I will also make a more concerted effort to make all the material available again.

Promise... :roll:
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

asturman

#11 Post by asturman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:44 am

HI All

As an enthusiastic newbie to Harn, I'm really enjoying discovering all the great fanon articles on Lythia.com.

I was just curious as to how the old and new sites compare in content, and whether there was still old content to be migrated?

Andrew

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by Leitchy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:57 am

Yes, there is still content to migrate. I just moved house, so things are still in a bit of a state of flux. Plus my kinship is gearing up for the implement release of The Lord of the Rings Online Volume 2: The Mines of Moria. :)

I'll make a special effort to throw up more content in the next week.
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

asturman

#13 Post by asturman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:55 am

Thanks, Leitchy, that would be great!

Have fun in Moria, I'm tempted to join just to see it, having run a Decipher/ICE LOTR game in Moria for 2 years.

Andrew

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by Leitchy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:30 pm

More content up now, and more over the next few days. Will try to get additional stuff coming through on a regular basis if I can get the time.

Anybody who loves Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, and who likes online gaming should try LOTRO; it's a standard MMOG (there isn't really any "role-playing" element to online gaming) but it has lots of fab little bits and pieces. Like personally watching the departure of the Fellowship from Rivendell with Elrond and being thanked by Gandalf for all the help; chasing Smeagol through Tal Bruinen in the Trollshaws as he attempts to follow the hobbits (of course, you don't actually catch him—that would kinda disrupt the story); coming across the three petrified trolls around an old, old campfire; journeying down, down....down to Goblin Town. :)

And that's just the little, off-hand stuff that makes this a great experience. Exploring the ruins of Fornost and Annuminas, searching through the alleys and byways of Carn Dum, figuring out the labyrinthine tunnels in Goblin Town, and traipsing across the frozen wastes of Forochel; all grand stuff that, if you have read Tolkien extensively, makes his stories even more vibrant. You really feel like you are taking part in one of the biggest, most epic fantasy stories or all time; Lord of the Rings is the grand-daddy of modern fantasy in many ways, and certainly one of the inspirations for Hârn.

Online gaming isn't for everyone, and it can be a complete time sink and sometimes a really boring grind (gaining reputation with various factions, for example), but overall, it's a hoot to play. Especially since you can do it from the comfort of your own home with your friends (and others) via in-built voice chat. Without that, it would be far less enjoyable. :)
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links