Options for Updating Lýthia.com

Announcements, news and updates of things that affect members. NEW MEMBERS & GUESTS PLEASE READ.
Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Options for Updating Lýthia.com

#26 Post by Leitchy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:54 am

I think we're pretty close here. Disregarding links to the forum and *maybe* a wiki in the future, the categories for downloads we have so far are:
  • HarnWorld
  • HarnMaster
  • Adventures
  • Art & Fiction
  • Game Aides
That's nice and simple. How about subdivisions within the HarnWorld category?

For the discussion section of the blog, I've come up with four major categories; History, People, Economics and Game Stuff. Naturally, there will be an amount of crossover. A post won't necessarily be under just one category. A good example might be the Millers' Guild article; that crosses at least two, and perhaps three categories (and maybe four, if the history of the guild is discussed).

History covers both past and future events, and looks at the consequences of those events. I really enjoy "what if" scenarios and the examination of alternative viewpoints, and I plan to do quite a bit of this.

People covers everything from an individual, through family, clan, village, town, city, kingdom, to entires regions. It also includes tribes, races, guilds, religions and all the other ways that people associate with other people. Other topics in this category are cultural issues and attitudes, examining the impact of special events (like war, famine, diseases, etc.) on the affected people. Basically, anything that happens to people.

Economics covers trade, crafts, kingdom budgets, fines and taxes, and the whole 'what makes the world go round' thing.

Game Stuff (yes, I'm looking for a better name) covers rules, adventure snippets, campaign discussions, GMing issues, new spells, scrolls, herbal remedies, and all that kind of stuff.

Anyway, more suggestions and comments are welcome. I'm beginning to be kind-of excited about the update to Lythia.com, and I hope you all will be too. :)
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

becubed

#27 Post by becubed » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:46 pm

Leitchy wrote:Game Stuff (yes, I'm looking for a better name)
Mechanics?

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#28 Post by Leitchy » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:55 pm

becubed wrote:
Leitchy wrote:Game Stuff (yes, I'm looking for a better name)
Mechanics?
I've settled on Game Elements
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

john
Constable
Constable

#29 Post by john » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:45 am

So do I understand correctly that (in this ferinstance):
I am planning my game for tomorrow night. When last we saw our intrepid heroes, they were departing Gardiren downriver to Tashal, so I want to look at Tashal stuff, and maybe some sites along the way.
So I go to:
HarnWorld>Kaldor>Tashal
and see sections on History, People, Economics, and Game Elements? (BTW I like that)

And, looking ahead, I plan to send then to Olokand next, so I go to
So I go to HarnWorld>Kaldor>Olokand
and see sections on History, People, Economics, and Game Elements there too?

I like that, but I have one concern:
I know there are settlements between Gardiren and Tashal but I don't recall their names right now. Will it be easy to find those visually? Text is OK. But I cannot do a search because I don't recall the name.
I can see the cities and castles getting plenty of support, but the keeps and manors often see a few get very detailed and the rest ignored. To follow my ferinstance above, suppose Setrew (IIRC) is en route and would be a good place to stop. If there is little fanon or discussion related to it, but one single gem perfect for my campaign, I might never see it.
It would help if there were a graphic or a textual outline-type or similar way to view the kingdom to see which areas are developed or have a lot of discussion.
REALLY cool would be a map of the kingdom with colored dots to indicate adventures, detailed fanon sites, campaign logs, and chatter associated with that specific site.

I guess in the end my goal is to find info about a specific site when I am at a nearby site. I don't know how much is possible, but we'll never know if we don't ask, hey?
Thanks for everything, Peter!
Heroes should be uncommon. They just happen to be the PCs.

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#30 Post by Leitchy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:37 pm

Hmm...I don't think it's going to be quite as good as you hope, John. :)

You'll be able to click on Harnworld, and see everything that's there. With tags, I hope to allow you to search on "kaldor" and find everything published that pertains to Kaldor, and maybe even search on "olokand" and find everything that pertains to that search term. Still early days yet, and I don't have full knowledge of how it will work at the moment.

As for an interactive map, sorry, but I doubt it will happen. Too much work to set up and maintain (plus I wouldn't even begin to know where to start with that). One thing I've noticed is that if the text of a download description contains a tag, that is linked to all other posts that contain that tag. So clicking on the tag will show everything else with the same tag. That's as linked as I can make it, given the style of software I'm using. We'll see how it pans out once I get a few dozen files listed. It's gonna take a few more days yet. :)
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links