Registration Issues Discussed

Announcements, news and updates of things that affect members. NEW MEMBERS & GUESTS PLEASE READ.
Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registration Issues Discussed

#1 Post by Leitchy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:45 am

Instead of making things better I actually made them worse. :(

<sigh> Well, I'm going to have to look into some other type of forum, because this is just ridiculous. But doing that while maintaining the history of the forum isn't going to be that simple.

I've reinstated the registration to Admin only, and removed all the spammers who registered. My problem is the spammers don't care if the account is activated. The mere fact they appear in the memberlist is enough because they have a link to a website there.

Until phpBB has a system where new but unactivated registrations do not appear in the memberlist, this will continue.

Note I've edited this thread to remove previous posts and so forth. I'll delete this in the next few days.
Last edited by Leitchy on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#2 Post by Rothesay » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:20 pm

Peter -

This hack appears to add a feature to the Admin CP which will prevent new registrations.

I'm not sure if it's just right, but it's a start. I googled "phpbb disable registration" to find it. 8)

Odder
Bailiff
Bailiff

#3 Post by Odder » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:36 am

It seems like preventing registrations is a bit drastic.

Peter, if we change the memberlist so that it only shows activated members, will that eliminate the problem? It seems like it would just be a case of modifying the query.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig into it.
I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend, but I am.

Shane
Solithar

#4 Post by Shane » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:39 am

I hear good things about SMF.

There's also VBulletin, which isn't free, but allegedly has better security than the free boards. Maybe we could do a 'Paypal Donate' thingie to purchase it?
::: Shâne
Now logging as Shadow of Bukrai.

Odder
Bailiff
Bailiff

#5 Post by Odder » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:45 am

Line 145 of memberlist.php (in phpBB version 2.21):

Code: Select all

$sql = "SELECT username, user_id, user_viewemail, user_posts, user_regdate, user
_from, user_website, user_email, user_icq, user_aim, user_yim, user_msnm, user_a
vatar, user_avatar_type, user_allowavatar
  FROM " . USERS_TABLE . "
  WHERE user_id <> " . ANONYMOUS . "
  ORDER BY $order_by";
I don't know what the flag for identifying approved users is, but adding a statement to match that to the WHERE clause should solve the problem. Assuming it's the "user_active" field in the "phpbb_users" table, the change would be (can't add formatting to code bbcode, but look for "AND user_active=1"):

Code: Select all

$sql = "SELECT username, user_id, user_viewemail, user_posts, user_regdate, user
_from, user_website, user_email, user_icq, user_aim, user_yim, user_msnm, user_a
vatar, user_avatar_type, user_allowavatar
  FROM " . USERS_TABLE . "
  AND user_active=1
  ORDER BY $order_by";
I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend, but I am.

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by Leitchy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:27 pm

Hmm...that may well do it. Since most of work has gone off to a Christmas function this afternoon, I may spend some time checking the phpbb website for an official solution, and if none is found, implement that. It could be the go...

The other thing I'd like to see is a link in the notification email to delete the user (in addition to the existing link which activates the user). That would make life somewhat easier. :)

Here's the solution, which is really just a complete version of Odder's above. It's included here if I ever need to refer to it again. :)

The problem is that it doesn't really eliminate the problem, it just makes it invisible to the end users, which is mostly what I'm trying to do, I guess.

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
memberlist.php
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#
AND user_active = 1
#
#
WHERE user_id <> " . ANONYMOUS;
#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------
#
WHERE user_id <> " . ANONYMOUS . " AND user_active = 1";
#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
includes/functions.php
#
#
#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#
AND user_active = 1
#
#-----[ SAVE/CLOSE ALL FILES ]------------------------------------------

Finally, did you see my new solution? Will it work, do you think? I don't want to prevent new members (not at all), but that's the best I could come up with, and it means a delay, which will put off some people.
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#7 Post by Rothesay » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:53 pm

Leitchy wrote:The problem is that it doesn't really eliminate the problem, it just makes it invisible to the end users, which is mostly what I'm trying to do, I guess.
This was my thought - making it invisible doesn't eliminate the dross clogging the memberlist. Alas, no solution seems perfect as yet. Perhaps an e-mail to the phpBB people is in order suggesting some features for their next release. :wink:

hrafn
Knight
Knight

#8 Post by hrafn » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:55 pm

Some time ago, I gave up with running phpBB-forums. I switched to SMF, because I plan to integrate it on some sites with a Joomla-CMS and so far, I didn't have the "security" problems I had with phpBB.

The data import from phpBB to SMF was easy and there was no data loss (AFAIR).
Með kveðju, Thorvald

Shane
Solithar

#9 Post by Shane » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:19 am

Leitchy, I've been doing a litle bit of research on this issue for another forum I frequent. There's a thread over the phpBB forums about a tiny little mod called VIP Code. A lot of people report good results using this little mod. Check it out.
::: Shâne
Now logging as Shadow of Bukrai.

Torg Smith
Half Villein
Half Villein

#10 Post by Torg Smith » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:09 am

Hi there,

Can you eliminate web links in the profile and limit the links to signatures?

Are you able to create a signature before you are registered?

Just some thoughts.

Thank You,
Torg Smith