Random Encounters

A forum to discuss the 24x7 online p-Hârn world Harshlands MUD (http://harshlands.net) inspired by N. Robin Crossby. Discussion should avoid current In-Character world activities so as not to spoil the immersion of others in the game.

Moderators: horus, Revus, Crosis, blackhorde

blackhorde
Site Admin
Site Admin

Random Encounters

#1 Post by blackhorde » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:07 am

Working on some random encounter code. Currently it just loads mobs into the world around a person as they move thru the wilds.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to make this more interesting.
Fred Ellis aka Blackhorde

Visit Harshlands, 'the' online Harn MUD World
http://www.harshlands.net
"I shower in their tears ..."

Tabitha
Beadle
Beadle

Re: Random Encounters

#2 Post by Tabitha » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:01 pm

I recommend setting it up in two ways simultaneously.

1) Establish a few spawn points where a certain number is guaranteed to pop up, then have them wander within their zone.

and 2) Establish spawn points where a random number (e.g. 2d6 Pagaelins) will spawn. Have them also wander within an area.

This way, encounters should go much like the random encounter table in D&D. As long as travelers stick to the roads, no two trips on that road should be the same. I would also go for quality over quantity, and not flood whole zones with Pag--I mean npcs.

Another idea accompanying this one is to have 1 or 2 groups spawned. A Tulwyn hunting party, a pack of vlasta, etc. Whatever is appropriate for the area they're in. That way, there is a minor chance of running into the unholy motherlode of encounters. A sharp eyed party might be able to circumvent or outrun them.

If they're lucky.

blackhorde
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by blackhorde » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Tabitha wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:01 pm
I recommend setting it up in two ways simultaneously.
Our existing live spawn code offers this type of encounter already. Static npcs have been removed on the builder port in favor of spawns whose positions are remembered thru reboots rather than reset back to a start location.

The random encounter system I propose would be something different to liven up the world specifically where PCs wander.
Fred Ellis aka Blackhorde

Visit Harshlands, 'the' online Harn MUD World
http://www.harshlands.net
"I shower in their tears ..."

michbabs
Woodward
Woodward

#4 Post by michbabs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:03 pm

Stuff to slaughter is always appreciated, but interesting mob/obj-progs would make all encounters more interesting.

Hungry child, inadvertently left behind asks for help getting to the next town... simple task. Or it's a trap and a dozen of her brigand friends are waiting around the next bend!

michbabs
Woodward
Woodward

#5 Post by michbabs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Had another thought... can party strength be calculated somehow to determine the encounter strength? So that a more difficult encounter has a higher chance of loading when a large well-trained party is about.

You could use the sum of offense skill values for all group members. Or another combat skill that fighters would train up - parry, dodge, block. Or the sum of all four skills. Or the sum of some armor value. Or weapon values.

So one fighter might get one gargun - but three PC fighters with six combat stayputs (party of nine) might get four gargun and an aklash with a wyvern circling overhead.

Would also suggest adding near-encounters without loading mobs - just a scary echo to scare the wee out of folks :)