Thonahexus 8 Manor Building

For GameMasters who want to ask advice of other GMs, get GMing tips, and talk about plot hooks, gaming aids and accessories of all kinds; things that could make a GM's job easier.

Moderator: Spartan

MDMann
Constable
Constable

Re: Thonahexus 8 Manor Building

#26 Post by MDMann » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:08 am

Size isn't everything Peter... :?

I removed some ivy a few months back, but the roots have gotten into the wall it was creeping along and I know it's going to be an absolute sod to sort.
Per Sir Veer.

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#27 Post by Targan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Leitchy wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:28 am
Stumps can take a very, VERY long time to pull out. Rothesay, your neighbour must have been a superhero of some kind. Or the tree had a particularly small tap root or the soil was very deep. Most farmers who are clearing stumps, and have the assistance of a tractor, take a day or two to shift a big stump. Bulldozers make short work of things, but the best a Harnic farmer can manage is an ox team. If the soil is even a little bit rocky, you've got a world of hurt.
This why I was a bit surprised that the use of explosives was so easily dismissed when I mentioned it here. At the time I was licenced there was plenty of work around for shotfirers just starting in their careers to do stump removal work on farms. The setup took a little bit of time and careful prep, but the actual stump removal was extremely quick :D
Sent from my PC using my keyboard

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#28 Post by Rothesay » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:50 am

Leitchy wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:28 am
Stumps can take a very, VERY long time to pull out. Rothesay, your neighbour must have been a superhero of some kind.
He's a wiry guy, older than me who was born in Vietnam. Interesting fellow even with his tree fixation. 8)

Munin
Knight
Knight

#29 Post by Munin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:09 am

Much depends on the stump. I helped a neighbor remove a stump from his front yard - I helped him because he and his brother had been struggling with this stump for days. They'd tried axes, spikes, even drilling and burning. Nothing. But I had just happened to have borrowed a chainsaw to clear out a big honeysuckle bush that had gotten problematic. Even with a chainsaw, I worked on it for over 45 minutes and barely made a dent.

The trunk of that tree was a mere 6" in diameter, but the root-ball was massive, tangled, and the taproot went extremely deep.

Also, 70 yards is not 23 paces - 70 yards is 70 paces (or thereabouts).

For dense forest, you can have hundreds of trees per acre. We're not talking about a tree-farm here, we're talking about natural growth. They may not all be towering giants, either - a 25-foot-high, 4" diameter tree is still a pain to deal with. My parents' property is just shy of 10 acres. There's 4 of it between the house and the river. When we built that house, we thinned down to just a few trees, maybe one every 60 feet or so. Thinning out the tangle of thornapple trees down by the embankment was a miserable slog - in addition to being hard as rock, it's dense, spiky, and a colossal pain to even be around. Most of the trees that were left in the yard were beautiful ash trees - that over the last five years have all died due to Emerald Ash Borer infestation. For the last three yours running, we've pulled 10-12 trees out of those 4 acres every year (and made a hell of a 4th of July bonfire every year!). We're maybe halfway done, and this is from land that had been thinned down to lawn.

If we have 5 or 6 people helping (me, my dad, my brother-in-law, my nephew, my cousin, and my other cousin's husband), we can usually pull 6 trees out in a weekend. But we're using chainsaws to fell and trim them, a bobcat to transport the trunks, and a lawn-tractor with wagon to transport the limbs. The trees aren't going far, maybe 100 yards, 200 for the ones closest to the house. Even with modern tools, it's hard, sweaty, back-breaking work. I shudder to think what it would be like to do it with rustic tools. None of these trees is larger than 9" in diameter (all are less than 50 years old), and we're not doing anything with them other than putting them in a big pile for burning.

All of this is to say that I don't know what the right number should be, but I know it's a hell of a lot more work than it looks.