Ezar's War Odessey

For GameMasters who want to ask advice of other GMs, get GMing tips, and talk about plot hooks, gaming aids and accessories of all kinds; things that could make a GM's job easier.

Moderator: Spartan

phderiksson
Beadle
Beadle

Ezar's War Odessey

#1 Post by phderiksson » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:07 pm

An Odessey inspirerande by the Noble Birth post by Darkra. My intention is to, step by step, build an adventure based on the late home return of a knight, or the son of the same knight, who fought in Ezar's War.

The War
Odysseus, king of Ithaca, is one of the heros in the Trojan war.
As replacement for the Trojan War, I go for Ezar's War. The war between Kanday and Rethem (682-697), which ended with victory for Kanday. The war began when the Order of the Copper Hook invaded Kanday without warning or provocation.

The Sea Journey
It took Odysseus ten years to reach Ithaca after the ten-year Trojan War. In his absence, it is believed he has died.
After Ezar's War, our knight went on a sea voyage after the Crimson Dancer and Kukshin, both in exile in Orbaal/Ivinia. The mission, sanctioned by the crown, is avenge, and to recover Eriel’s crown that vanished after Eriels assasination.

The Captivity
Odysseus spent seven years in captivity of Calypso who fell deeply in love with him, even though he consistently spurned her advances.
As for potential candidates that could replace Calypso I would go for an important female within one of the female orders of the church of Agrik.
  • Order of the Eight Demons,
    Order of Kukshin or
    Order of the Crimson Dancer
The Suitors
On Ithaca a crowd of boisterous young men aim to persuade Odysseus wife Penelope to marry one of them, all the while reveling in Odysseus' palace and eating up his wealth.

The Quest
In the Oddesey, Odysseus son Telemachus is urged to search for news of his father.
As for the knights son he could either be
  • Legal, born before captivity
    Bastard, born during the captivity
Depending on the situation the quest becomes a search for a lost father or a search for home. In either case weither the father still is alive is optional.
Last edited by phderiksson on Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:06 am, edited 18 times in total.
The Arbalester

MDMann
Constable
Constable

Re: Ezar's War Odessey

#2 Post by MDMann » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:27 am

If you use the Order of the Kukshin, they could have taken the captive to Orbaal when they fled there. I'd use one of the minor temples they have rather than Quimen or Geldeheim. There's a couple to choose from. It nicely explains how hard it was to return home and increases sea voyages mirroring the Odessey.
Per Sir Veer.

phderiksson
Beadle
Beadle

#3 Post by phderiksson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:49 am

MDMann wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:27 am
If you use the Order of the Kukshin, they could have taken the captive to Orbaal when they fled there.
I agree, but I which to keep all three orders as potential posibilities. Anyway assuming that one of the female order of Agrik took the knight captive. In what way was one, or all of them, involved in Ezar's War?
The Arbalester

Sageryne
Knight
Knight

#4 Post by Sageryne » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:47 am

Hi phderiksson,

Have you read my account of Ezar's War?

http://www.lythia.com/index.php?s=Ezar%27s+War

CGI has accepted it as the canon account of Ezar's War.

- Kerry
Well, my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle. - Mal, Firefly.

phderiksson
Beadle
Beadle

#5 Post by phderiksson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:31 am

Yes, I have read most of what has been published, Canon as well as Fanon. But if I remember all details, nope.

What I need is a place where a deceive battle by cunning took place. That and the name of the man who devised it (our knight). Further more I need a reason for a female Agrikan order to get involved in the war scheme somewhere (The crimson dancer fit in that perpective, since they assasinated Queen Eriel). But where and when does the road cross for our knight and the female Agrikan order (As MDMann stated above the order of Kukshin is the best candidate). Furthermore it would be nice if one could include Eriel’s crown in the intrique.

Eriel’s crown is adorned with Eladas’ Eye, a fiery black opal that vanished after Eriels assasination.
The Arbalester

Krazma
Baron
Baron

#6 Post by Krazma » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:02 am

phderiksson wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:07 pm
As for potential candidates that could replace Calypso I would go for an important female within one of the female orders of the church of Agrik.
  • Order of the Eight Demons,
    Order of Kukshin or
    Order of the Crimson Dancer
A few thoughts on this:
  • The Order of the Eight Demons didn't exist at the time of Ezar's War. Any female clergy that later ended up with the O8D would probably have been a part of the Order of Herpa the Mace at the time of the war.
  • As a general rule, male captives of the O8D and Kukshin/Crimson Dancer don't fare too well; neither order is really a place for women seeking a husband. Even assuming some scheme to use a male captive to father a child, it seems unlikely he'd survive past his immediate usefulness.
  • Consider, however, the possibilities of using the Order of the Pillar of Fire instead. There's nothing in canon that precludes female clergy; it's in hiding, so you could use any geographic location you find appealing; and the captive knight could even play a part in their plot to obtain revenge.

phderiksson
Beadle
Beadle

#7 Post by phderiksson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:32 am

Thanks Krazma, your advice is sound.

But I would like to slightly disagree on that male captives of the O8D and Kukshin/Crimson Dancer don't fare too well. As you say this is a general rule and I had my thoughts about it too. Then I think it is to paint the O8D and Kukshin/Crimson Dancer all black or white, the truth is somewhere in between. They might delight in killing men in the most cruel way as possible. But here is a man; cunning, brave and handsome (Odysseus). And if we look back at the greek epic, Odysseus loses all his crew and return home alone. So if our knight crossed the path of the Kukshin/Crimson Dancer he is the only surviver due to his very cunning to stay alive and maybe tell the tale.
The Arbalester

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#8 Post by Targan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:34 pm

MDMann wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:27 am
If you use the Order of the Kukshin, they could have taken the captive to Orbaal when they fled there. I'd use one of the minor temples they have rather than Quimen or Geldeheim. There's a couple to choose from. It nicely explains how hard it was to return home and increases sea voyages mirroring the Odessey.
Or even to Ivinia. They have a presence there too.
Sent from my PC using my keyboard