Good Adventure Ideas for Seagoing Mercantylers?

For GameMasters who want to ask advice of other GMs, get GMing tips, and talk about plot hooks, gaming aids and accessories of all kinds; things that could make a GM's job easier.

Moderator: Spartan

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

Good Adventure Ideas for Seagoing Mercantylers?

#1 Post by Nightly Knight » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:28 am

What are some good ideas for sea going mercantylers people have come across? I've been enjoying some of the articles in the Harniac, and one of my players suggested that he wants to enjoy at least a couple of adventures with his character on a jointly owned trading Dak. I'd appreciate thoughts on how I can make these voyages enjoyable while focusing at least somewhat on the trade and travel.

Krazma
Baron
Baron

Re: Good Adventure Ideas for Seagoing Mercantylers?

#2 Post by Krazma » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:25 am

Most science fiction set on a spaceship can be adapted to a sailing vessel fairly easily. Think of the plots of various episodes of television shows like Star Trek or Firefly, then just translate a few details. An example would be the crew of the Lorkin from the FFF series.

There's a whole seafaring encounters section to the Harnic Encounters fanon.

Alternate between adventures at sea and those in various ports; not everything has to be aboard ship.

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#3 Post by Targan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:33 am

Smuggling, piracy, sea monsters, castaways/shipwreck survivors. Also, it's common for ships passing to exchange pleasantries, news and sometimes messages. Many a mishap can occur on board during a voyage. Injury. Sickness. Mutiny. Interpersonal disputes. Minor or major faults with the vessel. Losing the mast. Main sail damaged, spare sail damaged. Strange portents or omens (something seen in the water, the arrival of a bird or birds acting strangely, St Elmo's fire, the "Green Flash", strange weather phenomenon).
Sent from my PC using my keyboard

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#4 Post by Derfman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:31 pm

Krazma beat me to mentioning the Flirefly/Lorkin fanon in the FFF series.

Everything from simply making enough money to keepup (barely) with basic maintenance, all the way to being trusted occasional agents of one (or more) governments/international organizations is a start for ideas.

At the (relatively) simple end, coastal trade around Harn, all the way up to making an attempt to get to spice ports of Mafan ==AND== make it back with a cargo..... (careful with this one, INSANE castle buying wealth happens if the PC succeed....)

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#5 Post by MDMann » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Friendly ships meet up in Port. The officers have each for dinner. The crews sport around town together, whoring, wenching, drinking and brawling.
Per Sir Veer.

Aghori
Reeve
Reeve

#6 Post by Aghori » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:04 am

Let them encounter Sea Devils (sea the Grave Wights article).

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#7 Post by Nightly Knight » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:25 am

Krazma wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:25 am
Most science fiction set on a spaceship can be adapted to a sailing vessel fairly easily. Think of the plots of various episodes of television shows like Star Trek or Firefly, then just translate a few details. An example would be the crew of the Lorkin from the FFF series.

There's a whole seafaring encounters section to the Harnic Encounters fanon.

Alternate between adventures at sea and those in various ports; not everything has to be aboard ship.
That's a good idea. There are lots of such stories, thanks.

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#8 Post by Nightly Knight » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:28 am

Targan wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:33 am
Smuggling, piracy, sea monsters, castaways/shipwreck survivors. Also, it's common for ships passing to exchange pleasantries, news and sometimes messages. Many a mishap can occur on board during a voyage. Injury. Sickness. Mutiny. Interpersonal disputes. Minor or major faults with the vessel. Losing the mast. Main sail damaged, spare sail damaged. Strange portents or omens (something seen in the water, the arrival of a bird or birds acting strangely, St Elmo's fire, the "Green Flash", strange weather phenomenon).
Good ideas, thank you. Perhaps an adventure occurs when a sail is badly damaged, the ship has to put into a small safe looking bay near an island for repairs, but then local tribesmen try to attack the ship or hold it up for tribute. A local lord demands the same perhaps.

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#9 Post by Nightly Knight » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:30 am

MDMann wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:13 pm
Friendly ships meet up in Port. The officers have each for dinner. The crews sport around town together, whoring, wenching, drinking and brawling.
That sounds like a fun idea. Aren't whoring and wenching the same things?

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#10 Post by Nightly Knight » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:34 am

Aghori wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:04 am
Let them encounter Sea Devils (sea the Grave Wights article).
That's another good one. I think I'll have them encounter that at some point when they cannot easily move the ship away.

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#11 Post by MDMann » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:42 am

Well one you pay for and the other is a business transaction.... :roll:
Per Sir Veer.

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#12 Post by Nightly Knight » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:41 am

MDMann wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:42 am
Ha. Finally bought the Pilots' Almanac btw, I think it's a good buy. A tad expensive but a lot of work went into it, clearly.

Shealladh
Villein
Villein

#13 Post by Shealladh » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:41 am

Nightly Knight wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:41 am
MDMann wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:42 am
Ha. Finally bought the Pilots' Almanac btw, I think it's a good buy. A tad expensive but a lot of work went into it, clearly.
Agreed, I have the original publication. Just waiting for the PDF to come on special. The main articles seem to be on special alot, lost track of how many times HârnManor has been, just wishing that I could get an updated PDF a bit cheaper :oops: