Equip a knight... reluctantly

For GameMasters who want to ask advice of other GMs, get GMing tips, and talk about plot hooks, gaming aids and accessories of all kinds; things that could make a GM's job easier.

Moderator: Spartan

ulthar
Cottar
Cottar

Equip a knight... reluctantly

#1 Post by ulthar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:55 am

Hi All,

we have started a new campaing recently. One of the players (who will be joining us next session) will play a knight.
Backstory: The character is an orphan, fostered by a rich relative who did not like him very much. Now he will be knighted.

Question: What would the relative get away with equiping him with minimal cost without looking to bad.
I guess as broadsword is mandatory... but what armor, type of horse etc.

Thanks

Ulthar

MDMann
Constable
Constable

Re: Equip a knight... reluctantly

#2 Post by MDMann » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:09 am

Mail armour with quilt and a cheap horse at about 1200d. Even cheap, isn't very. The saving comes later when he's left with no support.
Per Sir Veer.

Brian_Smaller
Villein
Villein

#3 Post by Brian_Smaller » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:21 am

Forget the mail - perhaps he got an old ring hauberk and pot helm. If you give him mail make it -1 or -2 Armour Quality - old and rusted and oft repaired. His horse is an old thing on it's last legs. Hey - he still has status just not much.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#4 Post by Rothesay » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:30 am

Well, it doesn't seem to be getting away for the cheapest amount, but the minimum without loss of face for the equipping knight. A nag with ragged ring would reflect very badly on the knight providing those arms.

Average mail, just a hauberk. Average sword. Pothelm. Shield. 1285d. A muscular looking horse. ~400d. 'Forget' to register the new knight's coat of arms. Send him on his way.

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#5 Post by Targan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Rothesay wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:30 am
'Forget' to register the new knight's coat of arms.
Well that would be the single greatest expense wouldn't it? IIRC it's 5000d! Or is that for entirely new grants of arms, rather than modified arms based on an existing grant?
Sent from my PC using my keyboard

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#6 Post by Rothesay » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Just so, and why it would be 'forgot.'

Could cause some interesting PC trouble too. The knight displays his arms, and some persnickety herald knows they aren't legit. Now you have the problem of is this person really armigerous? Could face charges for breach of rank. Oh yeah, lots of good fodder there. :twisted:

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#7 Post by MDMann » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Well after much hassle, it's the knighting Lord's responsibility to pay for armorial bearings so they'd ultimately be liable. Of course, getting to that point would involve a lot of hassle. It's certain to involve the grantors liege, college of Heralds and sheriff.

Being really mean, they could be innocent of breach of rank (as they are nobly knighted) but guilty of breach of privilege (against the Heralds) for bearing arms without registering them. The granting Lord would also be guilty of this and more seriously so. They could both be expected to make restitution as well as the granting Lord also paying for the registration. The levels of restitution would be different for both parties, lower for the PC and the PC at least could receive some sympathy. The college could wave it's right to restitution or agree to some other recompense (such as a small task) if they choose to.
Per Sir Veer.

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#8 Post by Targan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:23 pm

MDMann wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:06 pm
The college could waive it's right to restitution or agree to some other recompense (such as a small task) if they choose to.
An excellent option for gameplay purposes.
Sent from my PC using my keyboard

Dan L P
Beadle
Beadle

#9 Post by Dan L P » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Starting out Nobles
Outcast = No Armor
Unpopular = 1/2 Helm(P), Gambeson(Q), Gautlets, Legging(L), Sercoat(C)
Average = 1/2 Helm(P), Hauberk(S), Gautlets, Legging(L), Sercoat(C)
Popular = 3/4 Helm(P), Cowl(M), Hauberk(S), Gautlets, Legging(L), Sercoat(C)
Favorite = 3/4 Helm(P), Cowl(M), Hauberk(S), Ailettes(P) Gautlets, Legging(L), Sercoat(C)

P=Plate S=Scale M=Mail Q=Quilt L=Leather C=Cloth

ulthar
Cottar
Cottar

#10 Post by ulthar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:20 pm

I guess I will go with Scale or Mail Hauberk (whatever ich cheapest.. havent my books here atm).
1/2 Helm, some Quilt "undergarments" and leggins, a broadsword, shield and Lance.. add some boots and gauntlest (leather) and thats it..

I guess that will be ok for keeping the face of the Knight providing the arms and armor (He is already known for being miserly).

The "Heraldry" angle ist very compelling! :)

I thought the horse could be a stately stallion... with a very, very foul temper. Something along the lines "Give that bastard the bloody devil from the stabels and good riddance to both of them!" ;)

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#11 Post by Rothesay » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:57 am

ulthar wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:20 pm
I thought the horse could be a stately stallion... with a very, very foul temper. Something along the lines "Give that bastard the bloody devil from the stabels and good riddance to both of them!" ;)
Heh, this is a nice touch. 8)

Dan L P
Beadle
Beadle

#12 Post by Dan L P » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:40 am

I didn't include weaponry above because it's listed for knights under MILITARY CAREERS (HM3 Char 27).
Lance, Broadsword, Handaxe, Dagger, & Knight Shield

Armour is (HM3 CHAR 29) Medium Horse [MH]
Riders are well-armoured in scale/mail with a good assortment of weapons. In feudal societies, medium horsemen are invariably knights or squires.

If a normal knight are well-armoured in scale/mail, then it makes sense that an unpopular knight would be in Gambeson(Q), 260d less then 1/2 the cost of Scale.
A knight can later improve his own armour at his own expense.