Harn Campaign Manager and the GM/Player Tool

For GameMasters who want to ask advice of other GMs, get GMing tips, and talk about plot hooks, gaming aids and accessories of all kinds; things that could make a GM's job easier.

Moderator: Spartan

BrianSmaller
Reeve
Reeve

Harn Campaign Manager and the GM/Player Tool

#1 Post by BrianSmaller » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:21 pm

My question is - does anyone actually use this product and does it add any value to your campaigns? I downloaded the demo versions and have as yet only had a cursory look at them - got a few weeks before the demo expires.

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

Re: Harn Campaign Manager and the GM/Player Tool

#2 Post by Targan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:07 pm

Which edition is it for?
Sent from my PC using my keyboard

BrianSmaller
Reeve
Reeve

#3 Post by BrianSmaller » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:15 pm

It looks to me to be HM3.

Krazma
Baron
Baron

#4 Post by Krazma » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:19 pm

I use them on occasion. It's a good record-keeping tool, but the best value (for me, anyway) has been the ability to quickly generate and customize a number of characters.

BrianSmaller
Reeve
Reeve

#5 Post by BrianSmaller » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:10 am

I tend to have a stock of NPC stat blocks that I use and if an NPC needs further fleshing out (may become recurring or otherwise involved) I then spend the time doing so. Having a push button would be good for that. What about importing pc art etc? Can I load a map of Ivinia to the tool?

Krazma
Baron
Baron

#6 Post by Krazma » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:29 pm

BrianSmaller wrote:What about importing pc art etc? Can I load a map of Ivinia to the tool?
Yes, you can add portraits. Not sure about the map.

phderiksson
Beadle
Beadle

#7 Post by phderiksson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:29 am

The GM/Player Tool is quite good. As Krazma states it is useful to quickly generate and customize characters. A minor detail. Move do not show correct value for Sprint (i.e. Move x 3) instead run appears twice (i.e. Move x 2).

A good think was the possibilty to export and import characters and select a group for the character. However, with a flaw, after exporting and importing again, it was impossible to remove the character from the group selected. Secondly if an exported character had a horse in its possesion that was also lost. Thirdly I found no way to create characters that was old or middle aged. Otherwise GM/Player Tool is as good as a tool could get.

If somebody knews a solution to the above issues let me know.
The Arbalester

GarryHamlin
Villein
Villein

#8 Post by GarryHamlin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:31 am

I find it very useful for:
1. automatic generation of weather
2. flagging holy days for various religions
3. campaign recordkeeping

Re: points 1&2 - Harn being Harn, weather and religious expression are going to be extremely important to what's going on at any given moment. But when you're generating a campaign storyline, these are things that it's easy to forget. Yet, forget them and your world becomes less real, more stereotypical.

Re:point 3 - If things are happening in your world independently of your PCs' actions, it can be important to know how different timelines intersect.

corsair
Cottar
Cottar

#9 Post by corsair » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:07 pm

I find the CM very useful. It's good for sorting and storing plot notes and NPC backgrounds. Also the adventure chronicle and calendar work well. I also use the bestiary (it's easy to add new creatures). The creator of the app, Mikael Hegardt, is pretty helpful and responsive to support questions.

The Player/GM tool is ok for character creation. I play mainly on Roll20, we use Bill G's HM3 excel profile to keep track of character stats. But that still means you have to create characters in a separate app. If the Player/GM tool recalculated stats based on fatigue, injury etc. it would be ideal, then my players could have a single app to track their characters and an easy way to create new ones.