Panaga's Goals

For GameMasters who want to ask advice of other GMs, get GMing tips, and talk about plot hooks, gaming aids and accessories of all kinds; things that could make a GM's job easier.

Moderator: Spartan

WarFlail
Bailiff
Bailiff

Panaga's Goals

#1 Post by WarFlail » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:23 pm

I am looking to incorporate elements of the Panaga Trilogy in my D&D 5e Hârn campaign, starting with a visit to Nevara (with a Dark Sun spin on it).

I'm wondering what goals/ambitions you GMs out there had for Panaga? A bad-ass villain like him - why is he on Hârn? What does he want to achieve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

Re: Panaga's Goals

#2 Post by Targan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:05 pm

WarFlail wrote:I'm wondering what goals/ambitions you GMs out there had for Panaga? A bad-ass villain like him - why is he on Hârn? What does he want to achieve?
I've always wondered myself what Panaga's deal was. It's never explicitly stated even what race he is, right? Could be some sort of Yashanian native, demon, Shek Pvar from Kethira or elsewhere?
Sent from my PC using my keyboard

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by Derfman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:16 pm

In my pharn

Short answer: become a god.

Longer answer: will have to wait, real life getting in the way.

hrafn
Knight
Knight

#4 Post by hrafn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:10 am

Panaga's goal is power.

From Curse of Hlen, PLOT 3:

"Panaga is plotting to control the Vii and murder his masters to gain promotion within the ranks of the Agrikan demons."

Rereading the plot-part of CoH, it seems, he is using Kethira as a "testing ground" for the Dar'k'tir. I guess I neglected that part when I ran the trilogy decades ago and I do not remember any players trying to get to the bottom of it. They were happy with getting the bad guy. ;-)
Targan wrote:It's never explicitly stated even what race he is, right?
And in the NPC character sheet provided within the module, it states: "Species/Sex: Vii/Neuter".
Með kveðju, Thorvald

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#5 Post by Derfman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:22 am

There is a thread somewhere linking Panaga, Lothrim, and some others, into an epic badguy.
Some ideas in that thread I love, and stole them (with thanks)
Some I hated, but respect the pHarn.

Anyway, lots of ideas to play with:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16902&p=177574&hili ... im#p177574

I do NOT treat Panaga as an incarnation of Lothrim. Each badguy can be his own person, even if there might be some inspiration.....
In my pHarn Panage is making use of something released by Lothrim, but Panaga is not Lothrim.

My pHarn
partly inspied by ideas posted by others (which is why I encourage such posting, and do a little such posting myself.....)

Panaga wants to be a God.
I don't make him an agrikan demon, but I do make him a mage that follows agrik, and has enough power to be consorting with agrikan demons (and other powerful creatures) on Yashin.

Nervrna (murdering her name, I don't have my books) is not completely dead....
She is reforming, slowly. The Giant 'gem' in her tower is currently holding her soul.
Left alone for a few more years, and she will be back.
But Panaga is not leaving things alone......

Kiraz
Lothrim did find an epic Earthmaster item in Kiraz, the 'Mirror of Soul Stealing' (MoSS).
Unfortunately for him, it was imprisoning an Airmaster created 'Demon'
The demon sleeps a lot after feeding, but when it feeds, it frenzies, and when it sleeps, its not especially vulnerable.
It also sleeps a lot when no food is around. (One quite renegade mage won't wake it, exact threshold to wake it is up to the GM)
Panaga barely escaped Kiraz, and his most elite troops did NOT escape Kiraz.
The MoSS was not with Panaga when the Dwarves got him, nor did they find it in Kiraz
The Dwarves had an idea of what the MoSS was holding, and knew they had about a month to evacuate while the Demon slept.
(If the players can get the/a MoSS, and use it on the Demon, they can make Kiraz habitable again....)

The Demon in Kiraz can be as Balrog like as you want, but my pHarn, it has a life drain.

Panaga is using Ikaris's soul as a buffer between the Demon and his own soul, while he uses the sleeping Demon's life drain to transfer Nervrna's 'godhood' to himself.
Result if Panaga succeeds:
--Ikaris's sould consumed by the Demon
--Nervrna dead
--Panaga a god of Nervrna's power level.

Ikaris is FULLY aware of what it happening. Sort of like being paralyzed and awake and watching the doctors get ready to harvest your organs.
Nervrna is dreamy aware of what is happening. When she wakes (if she survives to wake) she will know what happened
(I make her an 'Art for Art Sake' minor diety that had a modest following about seven centuries ago. An artsy beatnik goddess, pharm as desired.....)....

The silver boxes with the Ikaris parts are conduits for Panaga's soul draining/godhood transfer magic.
As soon as the PCs take one, Panaga's magic can't progress (his 'progress bar' stops). He needs those boxes put back.

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#6 Post by Derfman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:26 am

The Mirror of Soul Stealing (MoSS)

You can put almost ANYTHING in one of these.
Should be called "Mirror of Gm Plot Device"

Want to introduce an NPC (or PC) human into your TR720 game who fought at the Battle of Sorrows?
Put em in a MoSS
so MANY options for what a MoSS can hold.....

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#7 Post by Derfman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:30 am

Panaga's prisoners (The Status)

Great place to put the Missing Earl Sedris (and maybe his squire)
But be careful, Earls can give big rewards.

You can also add or swap out other prisoners for 'interesting' options...

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#8 Post by Derfman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:46 am

I use Uriece (Just east of Minarsis) as the village in the 'Staff of Fanon' adventure.

The canon location is REALLY poorly chosen.

I also adjust the mechanics of the gate to Yashin
(It opens for a month (or other GM defined period) if a release spell (any school) is cast inside the cave, or if a Jorum is opened inside the cave (so even if the players don't have a mage that can cast release, they can be given a Jorum if needed, or just say that Panaga went through recently (which is how one of the villagers got through...)...

WarFlail
Bailiff
Bailiff

#9 Post by WarFlail » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks for the link and great ideas from your campaign, Derfman!

WarFlail
Bailiff
Bailiff

#10 Post by WarFlail » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:26 am

A question about the gate to Nevara in Fanon's Vale. Who created it and why? If it was Fanon, was he a servant of Nevarna?

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#11 Post by Targan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:32 am

hrafn wrote:And in the NPC character sheet provided within the module, it states: "Species/Sex: Vii/Neuter".
Right yes! He's an Agrikan demon then?
Sent from my PC using my keyboard

WarFlail
Bailiff
Bailiff

#12 Post by WarFlail » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:35 am

Targan wrote: Right yes! He's an Agrikan demon then?
Supposedly, yes, but that would make him an Agrikan demon Shek-Pvar...

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#13 Post by Derfman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:38 pm

I make Panaga a somewhat ancient human mage.
Currently 'sort of' herpan....

He has been murdering homeless children and young people for a few centuries, about 20 a year, to stave off aging....
....but the magic has been slowly losing potency over the last 100ish years....
....and he sorta wants to be a God anyway.....
....and stumbled upon Nervrna's sleeping soul in her gem in her/Fanon's tower....
....and already knew about the Demon sleeping in Kiraz....
....and saw an opportunity.....

For Panaga's first couple of centuries of murder for youth spells, he was VERY discrete (part of why he targets the homeless for victims for that magic).
But over the last century his already arrogant opinion of himself compared to his fellow man has sored to new heights of megalomania (fueled in part by how he now views life drain murder of homeless children as a casual undertaking.....).

In the last decade, he has become truly careless,....(his growing megalomaniac illness can allow the GM to have make some mistakes as appropriate for the story so the PCs can get break now and them. He is mentally ill at this point....) and the GoAL has recently become aware of him, but is not sure of his nature (They doubt he is a Kethiran mage, and think him some sort of malevolent Yashin supernatural. They'd be horrified by the truth, and that he slipped by them for so long. Either way, they are taking action.... enter the PCs.....

Oh, and he IS a several century old mage....
INSANELY powerful. VERY few Kethiran mages equal him in ability, and most of those are Sindarin. Add to that his enslavement of Ikaris.....).

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#14 Post by Derfman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:47 pm

If you use a/the Mirror of Soul Stealing (MoSS) strongly recommend you make it in poor shape and/or few charges, etc....

....It is a powerful thing to leave in the hands of the PCs.

Assuming the MoSS the PCs eventually use is the one the dwarves had, and assuming the dwarves are (or can be) on good terms with the PCs, separating the PCs from the MoSS should not be too hard (assuming the PCs are not stupid.... not a completely safe assumption, I know...)..... or you can just have it 'break' after it has served its story purpose (a progressively harder roll to not break every time it is used.... after all, it IS in poor shape......)

hrafn
Knight
Knight

#15 Post by hrafn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:29 pm

WarFlail wrote: Supposedly, yes, but that would make him an Agrikan demon Shek-Pvar...
Well, demons have magical powers. It is mentioned in CoH, Panaga is not a powerful mage per se, he draws his powers from the subjects he enslaved (e.g. Ikaras) with the Dar'k'tir.

The Vii are the Eighth Order of the V’hîr. And in CoH, character sheet of Panaga, we find the following note:

"The demons of Balgashang have an innate ability to manipulate Peleahn principles. This translates into spell-equivalency. Panaga can cast any Peleahn spell as follows:

I Level: ML70
II Level: ML 60
III Level: ML 50
IV Level: ML 40
V Level: ML 30
VI Level: ML 20
VII Level: ML 10"

I guess the higher orders are more powerful concering magicks. ;)
Með kveðju, Thorvald

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#16 Post by Derfman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:02 pm

WarFlail wrote:A question about the gate to Nevara in Fanon's Vale. Who created it and why? If it was Fanon, was he a servant of Nevarna?
Don't have my books handy, but if memory serves, it was Fanon, for the purpose of allowing him to split his time between the vale and his tower on Yashin, at least until he moved to Yashin full time (and eventually moved on from there too.....)....

Fanon and Nevarna never met. She moved into his Tower centuries after he abandoned it (forget how many centuries)
There are very few canon details on Nevarna. Red head, added some sections to the tower, had servants, created the birdmen that guard the desert, and was killed by a black orb (Morgathian???) about 7ish centuries ago (assuming my memory is correct....).

I decided to make her an artsy beatnik goddess. The tower was her studio....
Having ANY 'deity' owing PCs her life can be interesting, but when she wakes (in my pHarn) she'll be a deity that was low power to begin with, and has not had a following for centuries....

Her natural followers would be high brow artsy types that are not interested in being Save-Knorian (and to be honest, if a smart artsy type person is more into art than pure learning, most Save-Knorians would not really view them as good Save-Knorians....).

I do NOT approve of the "always open" aspect of the canon gate, so added the mechanics I described above. Simple mechanics that allow the canon story to work, while at the same time NOT having a gate to Yashin that is 'just sitting there.....'....

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#17 Post by Derfman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:16 am

On Panaga's mental illness in my pharn.....

Panaga started off as an academic minded agrikan, perhaps an early herpan.

But centuries of hiding from the GoAL (very successfully, as they only recently have noticed him, and still have not identified him...), and murdering homeless children to drain their lives has taken its toll..

His megalomania currently expresses itself in his carelessness. He is so close to BEING a god, and has long viewed himself as an order of being higher than humanity ("all beneath me!!!"....) On one hand he knows he is not a god yet, thus his fury at the PCs for moving the silver boxes (and for thwarting his just 'punishments' of those who annoyed him....), but on the other hand acts as if his power is already secure....
.....with the PCs goading him, he'll start showing up on GoAL radar big time. MAJOR excuse for the GM to have a White Hand hit squad show up to bail out the PC if needed (and thank them for 'flushing him out, nice job, so we rescued you. Have a nice day'....)

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#18 Post by MDMann » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:06 am

You know. If I ever did that I'd then have the WH turn around to wipe the memories of the pc's afterwards. :mrgreen:
Per Sir Veer.