The Earl of Vemion and the Countess of Loala

For GameMasters who want to ask advice of other GMs, get GMing tips, and talk about plot hooks, gaming aids and accessories of all kinds; things that could make a GM's job easier.

Moderator: Spartan

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

The Earl of Vemion and the Countess of Loala

#1 Post by Nightly Knight » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:41 am

So in my campaign setting, the players' characters work for the Countess of Loala, and have gradually become persons of importance at her court. One is a landed knight with his own manor near Andrin, one is a Laranian priestess from Holegore, one is a Peonian monk from near Lado. They fulfill the roles of lieutenant of the guard, chaplain and secretary respectively. I am trying to plan an adventure that mixes with The Earl's Progress and is about the Earl and Countess meeting and possibly intriguing together or arranging a marriage for her son and the Earl's daughter. (this is also part of a diplomatic mission to visit Melderyn, Kaldor and Azadmere on behalf of King Gerlens)

So a few snags I thought might happpen would be the following:
- The Earl's enemy plotting his assassination
- Maid Camissa planning to run away
- A Navehan priest who poses as a Peonian mendicant (a recurring enemy of the players, a member of a witch cult that the PCs have fought in Shorkyne) dogs their trail and intends to try to destroy the plans by whatever means possible.

I'd like the Countess and Earl's traveling courtiers to assume that it is THEIR enemies that are behind all the problems, when in fact it is both. I think this could have elements of confusion, intrigue, possible even stronger alliance, possible enmity between the two houses at work.

I would appreciate any further thoughts or suggestions.

pfstrack
Beadle
Beadle

Re: The Earl of Vemion and the Countess of Loala

#2 Post by pfstrack » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:53 am

If you are going to use the full Earl's progress, you will need to figure out an excuse for the Countess to travel the whole route with the Earl. If not, it may make more sense for the Countess to meet the Earl in Qualdris or Kobing and travel north to the tournament, then head east to Azadmere.

If the Countess's son is traveling with her, he could take the time to get to know Camissa. A jealous squire Arlbis Hirnen could make trouble.

Other nobles could approach the Countess in hopes of forming an alliance or assessing her connection to Caldeth.

Two priests could get involved in doctrinal differences between mainland and Hârnic churches. The progress passes through several churches.

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#3 Post by Nightly Knight » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:03 am

pfstrack wrote:If you are going to use the full Earl's progress, you will need to figure out an excuse for the Countess to travel the whole route with the Earl. If not, it may make more sense for the Countess to meet the Earl in Qualdris or Kobing and travel north to the tournament, then head east to Azadmere.

If the Countess's son is traveling with her, he could take the time to get to know Camissa. A jealous squire Arlbis Hirnen could make trouble.

Other nobles could approach the Countess in hopes of forming an alliance or assessing her connection to Caldeth.

Two priests could get involved in doctrinal differences between mainland and Hârnic churches. The progress passes through several churches.
Theological debates--never thought of that! Good idea!

I agree with Kobing or Qualdris, but I cannot decide which one yet.

I had forgotten about the lovesick squire, that's a good idea.

I'm wondering what other nobles would be suitable that there is already published or fanon material for. I'm not likely to buy anything new unless it's totally amazing (budget) so any suggestions would be helpful. I own Cities of Harn, Castles of Harn, and Son of Cities, as well as the Kaldor book. One possibility I might guess would be the Baron of Getha's daughter?

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#4 Post by MDMann » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:59 am

If those two entourages travel together they'll strain the accommodations available everywhere, even if they give advanced notice and could beggar even rich manors. Plenty of room for events there. Maid Camissa fancies herself a Peonian and is looking to join the church ... and you have a monk. I have Conwans sister marrying the brother of a Trierzi count... they could meet.
Per Sir Veer.

pfstrack
Beadle
Beadle

#5 Post by pfstrack » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:09 pm

Nightly Knight wrote:I'm wondering what other nobles would be suitable that there is already published or fanon material for. I'm not likely to buy anything new unless it's totally amazing (budget) so any suggestions would be helpful. I own Cities of Harn, Castles of Harn, and Son of Cities, as well as the Kaldor book. One possibility I might guess would be the Baron of Getha's daughter?
For nobles, the two obvious choices are Curo (Gardiren) and Dariune (Kiban). There is probably enough info in the Kaldor supplement for either of those (or both!). Cheselyne the Elder would also ask the Countess to visit in Tashal, which would let you bring in nearly anyone from that city into play.

As for purchases, I'd recommend the new Kaldor article if you don't already have it. There is a good overview of all the major settlements in it. The new Tashal article also has tons of added detail on the city. And there are lots of good fanon articles on that city as well. Neither are really necessary, though.

There's also the Kaldor sampler article you can get for free:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/184 ... rs_id=2182

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#6 Post by Nightly Knight » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:51 pm

pfstrack wrote:
Nightly Knight wrote:I'm wondering what other nobles would be suitable that there is already published or fanon material for. I'm not likely to buy anything new unless it's totally amazing (budget) so any suggestions would be helpful. I own Cities of Harn, Castles of Harn, and Son of Cities, as well as the Kaldor book. One possibility I might guess would be the Baron of Getha's daughter?
For nobles, the two obvious choices are Curo (Gardiren) and Dariune (Kiban). There is probably enough info in the Kaldor supplement for either of those (or both!). Cheselyne the Elder would also ask the Countess to visit in Tashal, which would let you bring in nearly anyone from that city into play.

As for purchases, I'd recommend the new Kaldor article if you don't already have it. There is a good overview of all the major settlements in it. The new Tashal article also has tons of added detail on the city. And there are lots of good fanon articles on that city as well. Neither are really necessary, though.

There's also the Kaldor sampler article you can get for free:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/184 ... rs_id=2182
Thank you. I already have downloaded the fanon stuff and I have downloaded stuff for that region of Kaldor--the chapterhouses, Erone Abbey, Kobing and Kolorn, and the fanon supplements for Tashal. I think the idea that the princess would invite the countess to the city is a good one. It does make sense that Gardiren and Kiban would be the other directions from which marriage invites might come.

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#7 Post by Nightly Knight » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:02 pm

MDMann wrote:If those two entourages travel together they'll strain the accommodations available everywhere, even if they give advanced notice and could beggar even rich manors. Plenty of room for events there. Maid Camissa fancies herself a Peonian and is looking to join the church ... and you have a monk. I have Conwans sister marrying the brother of a Trierzi count... they could meet.
Very good point about accomodations. That will be fun for the entourage to work out. PCs delegated to make sure of accomodations will find themselves confronting others so delegated on the part of the Earl--but they are required to somehow work things out to the dignity of their Lady while nevertheless not offending the Earl's entourage too much.

I think attaching her to the monk would be fun.

Which Trierzi count is Conwan's sister marrying? How does the King and his claimants feel about that? Mind sharing more about that?

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#8 Post by MDMann » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:29 pm

The brother of Halmo, Elgar of Horaga, Parel Arcona. His brother Balthis the count and sister in law Saril (who's into Trierzi racial purity) opposes the match. His nephew the heir supports him (he has his own wishes opposed by his father) as he wants to marry Selana Tokise, heir to the powerful neighbouring Areshomes. This would bring the county's together creating a new duchy. Lots of conflict. I have a few other consequences of all this.
Per Sir Veer.

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#9 Post by Nightly Knight » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:46 am

MDMann wrote:The brother of Halmo, Elgar of Horaga, Parel Arcona. His brother Balthis the count and sister in law Saril (who's into Trierzi racial purity) opposes the match. His nephew the heir supports him (he has his own wishes opposed by his father) as he wants to marry Selana Tokise, heir to the powerful neighbouring Areshomes. This would bring the county's together creating a new duchy. Lots of conflict. I have a few other consequences of all this.
Most interesting. I like the idea of the demonstration that other continental noble marriages are taking place--and fun in a way to have it be a Trierzi one.

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#10 Post by MDMann » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:13 am

I have him lose his governorship from his brother despite the good job he was doing and the strong support he retains in his clan. The couple go to Kaldor where Conwan arranges land for him to settle a Barony upon in Semethshire, building a keep south of Tashal along the Salt Route across from Ternua. He brings his own knights and free settlers from Trierzon where he assembles plenty. Of course this is after the succession crisis. Of course then his nephew ascends to the title and duchy of Areshomes.
Per Sir Veer.

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#11 Post by Nightly Knight » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:01 pm

MDMann wrote:I have him lose his governorship from his brother despite the good job he was doing and the strong support he retains in his clan. The couple go to Kaldor where Conwan arranges land for him to settle a Barony upon in Semethshire, building a keep south of Tashal along the Salt Route across from Ternua. He brings his own knights and free settlers from Trierzon where he assembles plenty. Of course this is after the succession crisis. Of course then his nephew ascends to the title and duchy of Areshomes.
Most interesting. Well I may borrow that from you if you don't mind. I've sometimes thought of doing that with my party as Shorkyne takes so much work on my part to develop stuff for, whereas the Harnic kingdoms are so well developed already.

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#12 Post by MDMann » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:18 pm

Please do. Particularly Kaldor. It's also a way to increase populations, as are the Menglanaan refugees.
Per Sir Veer.

Joe Adams
Reeve
Reeve

#13 Post by Joe Adams » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:39 pm

Nightly Knight wrote: One possibility I might guess would be the Baron of Getha's daughter?
Lysella's information in in the Getha and Bandits of Chyle fanon articles. Some of those articles are here, the full library is at my site (see below).
It's a Narrativist thing. You wouldn't understand. 8)
Visit the Knights of Kaldor (http://www.harnmaster.us/knights/)

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#14 Post by Nightly Knight » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:33 am

Joe Adams wrote:
Nightly Knight wrote: One possibility I might guess would be the Baron of Getha's daughter?
Lysella's information in in the Getha and Bandits of Chyle fanon articles. Some of those articles are here, the full library is at my site (see below).
Thanks very much. The Bandits of Chyle might be a nice side adventure too in the campaign. I'm imagining the party being delegated to go and see the gitl at the manor she's staying at only to find her gone...I'm also imagining someone saying "What is with these Kaldor girls and running away from home?"

Joe Adams
Reeve
Reeve

#15 Post by Joe Adams » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:09 am

Nightly Knight wrote: Thanks very much. The Bandits of Chyle might be a nice side adventure too in the campaign. I'm imagining the party being delegated to go and see the gitl at the manor she's staying at only to find her gone...I'm also imagining someone saying "What is with these Kaldor girls and running away from home?"
Something you might play with is how different the two maids are in character. Camissa has her head in the clouds and wants to be a Peonian acolyte. Lysella is a vain, flirtatious girl who wants to be swept away by her lover, but only to someplace comfortable.

IMC, the Baron and Baroness of Getha are maneuvering to have Lysella marry Camissa's brother, Sir Urian. How well their plans work out is up to you, but that could add some more twists to the story if the two girls both run away in Tashal and somehow get tangled up with each other.

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#16 Post by Nightly Knight » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:21 am

Joe Adams wrote:
Nightly Knight wrote: Thanks very much. The Bandits of Chyle might be a nice side adventure too in the campaign. I'm imagining the party being delegated to go and see the gitl at the manor she's staying at only to find her gone...I'm also imagining someone saying "What is with these Kaldor girls and running away from home?"
Something you might play with is how different the two maids are in character. Camissa has her head in the clouds and wants to be a Peonian acolyte. Lysella is a vain, flirtatious girl who wants to be swept away by her lover, but only to someplace comfortable.

IMC, the Baron and Baroness of Getha are maneuvering to have Lysella marry Camissa's brother, Sir Urian. How well their plans work out is up to you, but that could add some more twists to the story if the two girls both run away in Tashal and somehow get tangled up with each other.
The Sir Urian-Lysella match makes a lot of sense, and I think that would work for me too. The idea of the two girls possibly teaming up or something might work out really well, or simply being a coincidence would be fun. The PCs had an earlier adventure where assassins targeted young women of good family in order to destroy the future of the landholding families around the barony the Pcs started out. So the PCs might very well be really alamred and imagine something other than the actual events taking place.

Dogberry
Knight
Knight

#17 Post by Dogberry » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:17 am

Nightly Knight wrote:
The idea of the two girls possibly teaming up or something might work out really well, or simply being a coincidence would be fun.
Even if the two girls never work together others would suspect them of being in cahoots, if they have met before running off. There could be fun in having the PCs chasing rumors of the girls, not realizing the rumors are of different girls.
"Hey, this guy saw a richly dressed girl trying to leave the city in a hay wagon!"
"But this guy saw a richly dressed girl heading north!"
Imagine the situation if they rescue the wrong rich girl. "You work for me, and you were supposed to find my daughter!"
Laboro diem, carpe noctem.

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#18 Post by Nightly Knight » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:45 pm

Dogberry wrote:Nightly Knight wrote:
The idea of the two girls possibly teaming up or something might work out really well, or simply being a coincidence would be fun.
Even if the two girls never work together others would suspect them of being in cahoots, if they have met before running off. There could be fun in having the PCs chasing rumors of the girls, not realizing the rumors are of different girls.
"Hey, this guy saw a richly dressed girl trying to leave the city in a hay wagon!"
"But this guy saw a richly dressed girl heading north!"
Imagine the situation if they rescue the wrong rich girl. "You work for me, and you were supposed to find my daughter!"
Yeah that's some fun scenarios, thanks for helping flesh it out. Nice red herrings along with some possible confusion. Also I think I could throw in another couple of red herrings--like say rumours leading to something genuinely sinister that actually has nothing to do with the two girls.

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#19 Post by Nightly Knight » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:44 am

One thing to add: the Countess' son in my campaign that is available for marriage is underage--both her sons are. As I understand it this is no impeidment to betrothal or even marriage in some medieval circumstances, but would it work here?

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#20 Post by MDMann » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:47 pm

No problem at all. 14 for age of consent (roughly) and marriage though earlier is possible too. It's only the age of majority that comes at 21.
Per Sir Veer.

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#21 Post by Nightly Knight » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:52 am

Joe Adams wrote:

I've been steadily working towards this plot partly as background intrigues, though the PCs have a role in advising their liege. The possibility of a Curo match has been falling to the side while a Dariune match is more favourable, but the problem is that Lady Enoriel is so much older than little Lord Ector that the PCs in particular are wary of such a match, worried that such a woman would intrigue too much against her young inexperienced husband. Lysella and Camissa are closer in age but the PCs are against a Vemion match. One PC is very much in favour of a Curo mwatch but if not Curo then Getha. In our last session he rquested an audience with Baron Chimin Indama--to apologize actually for some confusion about an encounter he had had with Lysella, but also to act as an emissary of his liege, proposing that if the Curo match is difficult, perhaps a Getha-Loala match might suit everyone better, enabling a proxy alliance with Curo as well. This is largely because the PC in question really doesn't trust the Hosath-Dariune alliance, which the Baron immediately encouraged saying that the Earl of Balim is a treacherous and intriguing man whom he does not trust.

So this could lead well towards the Bandits of Chyle adventure.

Joe Adams
Reeve
Reeve

#22 Post by Joe Adams » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:58 am

Nightly Knight wrote: So this could lead well towards the Bandits of Chyle adventure.
Cool! Let me know how this goes.