Tulwyn Tribute

For GameMasters who want to ask advice of other GMs, get GMing tips, and talk about plot hooks, gaming aids and accessories of all kinds; things that could make a GM's job easier.

Moderator: Spartan

Asik
Woodward
Woodward

Tulwyn Tribute

#1 Post by Asik » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:47 am

Our party is traveling the salt route. The Caharyn Tulwyn noticed our party as soon as we entered their territory. For a day the Tulwyn watched and followed us. The Tulwyn approached us the next morning. The Tulwyn demanded tribute. One PC handed the Tulwyn drinks of spirituous liquor while another PC successful persuaded (MS) them to a challenge of skills. A bow contest and a javelin throwing contest. If we lost, we would surrender all weapons to them. A bold wager. If we won, they would grant us safe passage through their territory.

Since we were doing Skill vs. Skill, we used the Absolute Success optional rule from HMG Skills 2.

PCs won and the Caharyn Tulwyn honored the terms of the wager.

Does this seem plausible as an encounter with the Tulwyn? Was it too easy? Should the Tulwyn have been more aggressive?

One idea I have is that the Deliff Tulwyn are next. They will hear about the news that the Caharyn were bested in a contest of skill. Not wanting to repeat what happened to the Caharyn, the Deliff will be more aggressive.

Peter the skald
Grand Master Silly Bugger

Re: Tulwyn Tribute

#2 Post by Peter the skald » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Entirely plausible. Also delighted to see dice dictated the narrative rather than some opinionated BS narrative pushed by some sort of plausability/probability reading of Canon.

I would greatly encourage that instead of deciding out right the stance of the Deliff Tulwyn you roll it; with perhaps a modifier in light of recent events. After all they could just as well be cowed by the past events as enraged/emboldened.....

But like I said with modifiers 😆
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

Peter the skald

#3 Post by Peter the skald » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:43 pm

I would also be tempted open roll if your players are grown ups....

Or at least roll it and photograph the roll for frissonic deconstruction post game...nothing like revealing scary odds post fact to put conservative or brave pc actions into perspective 😁

Peter the skald

#4 Post by Peter the skald » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:51 pm

...and the reason I say such things is that often here the advice given seems to ignore silly/stupid/ignorant/weird npc actions like they all have harnWikipedia and have a hotline to Napoleon....

But if you have decided the next tribe along have got wind of $#@! all well and good....just proposing that going from tribe to tribe tabula rasa and easy passings is just as likely... 😆

Peter the skald

#5 Post by Peter the skald » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:53 pm

....and perhaps refreshingly fog of medieval coominications in pc favour for once.....😆

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#6 Post by MDMann » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Yes it's plausible. The Tulwyn like to wager, so it fits nicely. I'm not sure they'd be more aggressive, so much as making different wagers, perhaps something that relies on chance rather than skill to one up their neighbours. Or just want more gift giving and not bother with the wagers. It's a good start they've made on getting along well with the Tulwyn. Perhaps throw in an encounter with a priest of Kekamar?
Per Sir Veer.

Brian_Smaller
Villein
Villein

#7 Post by Brian_Smaller » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:51 am

More than plausible. If every interaction between barbarians and civilised folk resulted in mayhem the civilized people would just mobilize and wipe them out or push them further into the wilderness - causing other problems with other tribes/peoples.

Asik
Woodward
Woodward

#8 Post by Asik » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:44 pm

Thank you. Those are good points that I am going to keep in mind. Who knows -- maybe this does not have to end in bloodshed after all? I will let the dice decide.

gallusgames
Knight
Knight

#9 Post by gallusgames » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:17 am

Entirely plausible. As Peter suggests ... make the rolls increasingly difficult as they encounter successive tribes. If the dice are kind they'll make swift and painless progress. The chance of it going wrong, though, increases so the chance of an exciting showdown increases before they reach civilisation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk