Lesser Gytevsha

For GameMasters who want to ask advice of other GMs, get GMing tips, and talk about plot hooks, gaming aids and accessories of all kinds; things that could make a GM's job easier.

Moderator: Spartan

WarFlail
Bailiff
Bailiff

Lesser Gytevsha

#1 Post by WarFlail » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:03 pm

In my D&D Hârn campaign, an ambitious and evil mage has kidnapped the village maiden to use as a blood sacrifice to summon a demon to unlock a magical portal inside a cave system hidden in a remote hilly, forested region in Kaldor, which was once in the old Kingdom of Merila until it was subjugated by Lothrim. The PCs have been hired by the anguished villagers to get their girl back.

The mage believes that beyond the portal - which cannot be opened by mundane means or even spells - lies a room containing some artifacts left by the Foulspawner himself, most importantly a single page of what he thinks is from the Penultimate Tome - perhaps the very page that launched Lothrim's ultimately doomed quest.

Anyway, the mage being a worshipper of Naveh and having gotten his hands on some forbidden spells to summon fiends, he is intending to conjure a Lesser Gytevsha to open the portal, striking a bargain to ensure that Naveh will eventually reap the rewards by enabling the mage.

I'd like to apply some twists to this, though. Naveh and his minions are very cunning. One idea is that the summoning is actually being orchestrated by the Lesser Gytevsha, tricking the mage into thinking that there is this hidden treasure, but in fact there is something else. If so, any ideas on what that 'something' might be?

Any suggestions for what the demon's name could be? I would rather not have it just remain as some generic Lesser Gytevsha but once it has been brought to the mundane plane, I could use it as a recurring villain (and ironically, an occasional ally of sorts?) for the PCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDMann
Constable
Constable

Re: Lesser Gytevsha

#2 Post by MDMann » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Dasembelakis.

Behind the portal is Haleas Girdle, an artefact of Naveh.

The sentient artefact appears as a a beautiful chain link belt, impractical for wear but very ornate and stylish. Engraved are images of Haleas handmaidens bound in sexual bondage, it's very explicit. It appears to be an artefact of Halea.

Wearing it improves the bearers comliness +1 and grants a +5 to all priestly invocations. It provides +10 to lovecraft, +5 to rhetoric and +10 to intrigue skills. Users can cast charm and seduction once each per day as a divine spell. It increases a wearers lust and fills their mind with thoughts of sexual bondage. As they attune, the sex becomes less important to them than the subtle domination of all around them and the pursuit of power at any cost. They become increasingly political. As time passes, they become more duplicitous viewing every means as acceptable with increasing double-dealing. They step closer and closer to the worship of Naveh and furtherance of his aims. It can only be trapped or neutralized by arcane not divine means.

With the artefact is substantial mundane wealth, of little use to the magically inclined.
Per Sir Veer.

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#3 Post by Targan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:15 pm

In the last campaign I played in that Kelly ran, he had a demon of bad luck called Nadir who was bound into an amulet. We were tricked into releasing it. Needless to say, it was bad.
Sent from my PC using my keyboard

Munin
Knight
Knight

#4 Post by Munin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:21 pm

What's on the other side of the portal? The Gytevsha's freedom.

Salman
Reeve
Reeve

#5 Post by Salman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:24 pm

MDMann wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Wearing it improves the bearers comliness +1 and grants a +5 to all priestly invocations. It provides +10 to lovecraft, +5 to rhetoric and +10 to intrigue skills. Users can cast charm and seduction once each per day as a divine spell. It increases a wearers lust and fills their mind with thoughts of sexual bondage. As they attune, the sex becomes less important to them than the subtle domination of all around them and the pursuit of power at any cost. They become increasingly political. As time passes, they become more duplicitous viewing every means as acceptable with increasing double-dealing. They step closer and closer to the worship of Naveh and furtherance of his aims. It can only be trapped or neutralized by arcane not divine means.
That's nasty :twisted: Long term side effects rule! Found it, made it work, enjoyed effects and suffer eternally...

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#6 Post by MDMann » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:27 am

Thanks. :D the positive effects are substantial and enticing but not world breaking whilst the corruption is insidious. Very Naveh and not out of line for Halea. O:)
Per Sir Veer.

WarFlail
Bailiff
Bailiff

#7 Post by WarFlail » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Would it be reasonable to consider that there is a hierarchy among Lesser Gytevsha? Presumably, some are more powerful and cunning than others, so there is probably some level of competition among them to elevate their status with Naveh. This would help to provide some motivation for them to want to retrieve artifacts, take lives or get mortals to take lives for them.

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#8 Post by MDMann » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:04 am

Seems reasonable. Naveh is very structured and ordered, so it seems in keeping. I can see it being a thing that is just understood too, rather than explicit. Much like noble precedence and with much the same squabbling over rank. :lol:
Per Sir Veer.

Peter the skald
Grand Master Silly Bugger
Grand Master Silly Bugger

#9 Post by Peter the skald » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:14 am

WarFlail wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:35 pm
Would it be reasonable to consider that there is a hierarchy among Lesser Gytevsha? Presumably, some are more powerful and cunning than others, so there is probably some level of competition among them to elevate their status with Naveh. This would help to provide some motivation for them to want to retrieve artifacts, take lives or get mortals to take lives for them.

Why do I have a Brazil/Kafkaesque vision of a Civil service manned by demons... :D
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

Krazma
Baron
Baron

#10 Post by Krazma » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:15 am

WarFlail wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:35 pm
Lesser Gytevsha vary in power and form. In the drafts of the (unpublished) Gytevsha article, they were divided into three categories:
  • The Veshana spread deceit and confusion among mortals. They are strengthened by every lie told, and every unpleasant truth faced wounds them.
  • The Krasulana are charged with delivering nightmares and observing dreams.
  • The Gekrisha are the dark shadows that linger in the edges of vision, malign laughter, whispers in the dark, and boards that creak and doors that slam when no one is about.
Each of these types had several named examples, but they aren't really a hierarchy nor in competition with each other. They are all absolutely, unquestionably servants of Naveh. Their motivation is to serve their master well, not to subvert the competition. They do not work in groups.

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#11 Post by MDMann » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:10 am

Hey I'm a civil servant!

I play a Navehan priest, not a daemon.

Actually, I like that thought. Think off the order we could bring to the chaos.
Per Sir Veer.

WarFlail
Bailiff
Bailiff

#12 Post by WarFlail » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Krazma wrote: Lesser Gytevsha vary in power and form. In the drafts of the (unpublished) Gytevsha article, they were divided into three categories
This sounds very interesting. Would you be willing to share it with me?

Krazma
Baron
Baron

#13 Post by Krazma » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:14 pm

I'm not at liberty to share the entire draft, but I don't mind providing a summary of the major points if that helps inspire any ideas.

WarFlail
Bailiff
Bailiff

#14 Post by WarFlail » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:33 pm

PM sent.

Krazma
Baron
Baron

#15 Post by Krazma » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:49 am

As mentioned, lesser gytevsha come in three categories, the Veshana, the Krasulana, and the Gekrisha. These are ethereal entities, capable of interacting with ghosts and other spirits, including the souls of living humans. Of the three, Krasulana and Veshana can manifest in the corporeal world similarly to ghosts (see the Ghosts article for ideas). However, it's a lot harder to get rid of them. Until they manifest, they cannot affect corporeal beings. The Gekrisha do not manifest in the corporeal world, but may possess a corporeal being in order to take physical action.

No gytevsha can manifest on holy ground (i.e. consecrated to gods other than Naveh). There are various charms and wards that can sometimes repel them. Additionally, they shun any kind of light, especially natural sunlight. They have difficulty affecting victims who are in a state of grace (see Religion) in any faith other than Naveh, and thus they tend to prey on those whose faith is weak. In general, they seek to torment and deceive, and will often flee a direct conflict.

The Gekrisha are the most immediately dangerous of the lesser gytevsha, seeking to possess or kill their victims outright through psionic means. Their actions may be mistaken for the manifestations of a ghost (breaking things, spilling containers, frightening livestock, and so on). They drive victims to paranoia, isolation, and ruin reputations and finances without ever causing physical harm. When they do successfully possess a victim, they act upon them in ways designed to provoke revenge, committing treachery or heinous crimes. Finally, when they have been used up, they are abandoned to face the consequences, often suicide or execution. When they can be perceived, they appear as silhouettes.

The Krasulana are charged with delivering nightmares and observing dreams. They can be summoned by priests of Naveh or sent by the god himself. They always manifest before acting, but never as the object of a dream. They use their manifestations to create anxiety before sending a dream. They are accompanied by a noticeable chill that disappears as quickly as it comes. They harass their victims in their sleep through dreams, often leaving them exhausted, edgy, or fearful. Victims are often driven mad by their attentions, or may acquire phobias, manias, etc.

The Veshana spread deceit and confusion among mortals. They attack relationships by instilling fear, making the victim believe the other person is unfaithful or untrustworthy in some fashion. When they manifest, they usually appear as common urban animals: black cats, rats, bats, ravens, or other creatures suitable to the environment. Whatever the form, they are always black. They must manifest to attack, and the attacks are always telepathic in nature. They subtly distort understanding, either what the victim says or hears. On a successful Awareness check, the victim recognizes the error and may try to correct it.

Hope that's helpful.
Last edited by Krazma on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#16 Post by Targan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:44 am

Krazma wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:15 am
In the drafts of the (unpublished) Gytevsha article...
Might there be some prospect that we'll one day see that article published, or has it been shelved permanently?

WarFlail
Bailiff
Bailiff

#17 Post by WarFlail » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Krazma wrote: Hope that's helpful.
Yes, thank you.

Krazma
Baron
Baron

#18 Post by Krazma » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Targan, i wouldn’t say “never,” but I certainly don’t foresee it happening any time soon. And, even if it did, there’s no guarantee the content wouldn’t change.

If it were up to me, it’d be a much shorter article, that’s for sure.

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#19 Post by Targan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Well you've got at least one guaranteed sale if it does get published :wink:

WarFlail
Bailiff
Bailiff

#20 Post by WarFlail » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:55 pm

I'm thinking that this lesser gytevsha (would that be trévè-gýtèvshâ?) is a servant of Vesha, the Mouth of Falsehood. I'm thinking of naming it Aulamkwerhin. Rather than slay the blood sacrifice, it will attempt to possess her, and then jump from person to person to continue its greater goal of spreading deceit and confusion among mortals with ever-escalating consequences. In this instance, the fiend couldn't care less about the portal; it just wanted a way to the realm of mortals to begin its work.

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#21 Post by MDMann » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:11 pm

Then have the pc's work hard to seal the portal, succeed and it not makes blind bit of difference to the daemon? The daemon could even let slip or leave clues that it's bound to the portal and closing it would banish it. It is z daemon if deceit after all.
Per Sir Veer.

Krazma
Baron
Baron

#22 Post by Krazma » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:15 am

MDMann wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:11 pm
It is z daemon if deceit after all.
I think your keyboard could do with an exorcism.

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#23 Post by MDMann » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:45 am

Hey I'm in a state of grace... with Naveh. :black:
Per Sir Veer.

Munin
Knight
Knight

#24 Post by Munin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:39 am