Harnic Shadizar?

For GameMasters who want to ask advice of other GMs, get GMing tips, and talk about plot hooks, gaming aids and accessories of all kinds; things that could make a GM's job easier.

Moderator: Spartan

corsair
Cottar
Cottar

Harnic Shadizar?

#1 Post by corsair » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:19 am

I'm planning a game loosely based on the REH Conan story "Tower of the Elephant". Any suggestions for a reasonable Harnic city to stand in for Shadizar the wicked? Ideally it would have a strong Lia Kavair presence and also a dangerous slum area to the city.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Harnic Shadizar?

#2 Post by Rothesay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:19 am

While I'm not familiar with the story in question, you do seem to be asking for Golotha ... :twisted:

corsair
Cottar
Cottar

#3 Post by corsair » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:13 am

Ha! I was thinking of Golotha myself, but I'm not too familiar with the cities of Rethem. It is a good excuse for me to buy a new Harn pdf!

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#4 Post by Rothesay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:38 am

In general, other cities could serve here too. My second choice would be Coranan. It seems Shadizar is divided by a river which seems to better fit Coranan - which is also bigger. If you go that route, be sure to also download the Coranan Additions from Lythia.com. Note you can also use the free plan of the Pamesani Arena from Shiran there too. Both Coranan and Golotha have well-described Lia-Kavair although Coranan has more factions.

Brian_Smaller
Villein
Villein

#5 Post by Brian_Smaller » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:25 am

Coranan gets my vote. Golotha is already crappy enough without a winged elephant man flying about.

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#6 Post by MDMann » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:03 am

I don't know the story but agree your description matches Golotha then Coranan. Everywhere else is either too small or too lawful or both. Or Ivinian, but that's a different feel entirely.
Per Sir Veer.

corsair
Cottar
Cottar

#7 Post by corsair » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Looking at the Golotha player map in 5741-Golotha City pdf, it seems like half the map is missing. It cuts off halfway through Arena town. Is this the same as the physical product?

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#8 Post by Rothesay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Should be. My copy has the full player map, though it is reduced in size and rotated so as to fit on one page. Do you have the second edition?

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#9 Post by Krazma » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:45 pm

corsair wrote:Looking at the Golotha player map in 5741-Golotha City pdf, it seems like half the map is missing. It cuts off halfway through Arena town. Is this the same as the physical product?
No, the current version shows a lot more. What you describe sounds more like the original Cities of Hârn version. What's the copyright date and/or how many pages are there?

corsair
Cottar
Cottar

#10 Post by corsair » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:22 pm

I bought it today from CGI. Copyright is 2009.

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#11 Post by Krazma » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:29 pm

corsair wrote:I bought it today from CGI. Copyright is 2009.
Should look like this:
http://www.columbiagames.com/pix/5741go ... p-1200.gif

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#12 Post by Rothesay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:35 pm

corsair wrote:I bought it today from CGI. Copyright is 2009.
That would be the second edition. Might be an error in that copy. I'm sure they'll provide you with a corrected version.

Peter the skald
Grand Master Silly Bugger

#13 Post by Peter the skald » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:09 am

Shadizar is known as the city of thieves, so both Golotha and Coranan are likely options with their well developed Lia kavair networks. Golotha has a pretty unified mafia guild with a strong boss, Coranan is much more factional, if that helps.

Now, the tower....well unfortunately none have a tower.....

As for religious cults....both have temples of morgath and agrik that would fit the bill. Very dangerous to infiltrate unless you are Conan, Subetai and Valeria though. :)
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

Peter the skald

#14 Post by Peter the skald » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:24 am

If I were to stage a harn version, I would use the libertinous and morgathian, Senator Rylen (Coranan additions) as the bad guy. He has a mansion near the centre of the city. Has the evil cult connections, wealth, and building suitable for a grand raid.

I have done floor plans for his mansion, including cellar and roof, and have a drawing of the outside somewhere, pm me if you want to steal them.

In my game (which has higher fantasy elements in places)he also has an attendant sorceress and were tiger, although the escaped were tiger rumour is Canon.

corsair
Cottar
Cottar

#15 Post by corsair » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:22 am

I sent a email to Penny at CGI. Hopefully she can help. Thanks for the advice!

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#16 Post by Rothesay » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:29 pm

Peter the skald wrote:I have done floor plans for his mansion, including cellar and roof, and have a drawing of the outside somewhere, pm me if you want to steal them.
Peter, I reiterate my offer to do those up canon style if you want to shoot them over to me. Might be a good short fanon piece.

Peter the skald

#17 Post by Peter the skald » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Rothesay wrote:
Peter the skald wrote:I have done floor plans for his mansion, including cellar and roof, and have a drawing of the outside somewhere, pm me if you want to steal them.
Peter, I reiterate my offer to do those up canon style if you want to shoot them over to me. Might be a good short fanon piece.
I am internet down for a while except on my phone, so finding things logistically tricky as stuff on laptop. When up and running will try to find and tidy stuff up and get it to you guys.

Nightly Knight
Reeve
Reeve

#18 Post by Nightly Knight » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:09 am

My vote would be for Coranan as well. First, it's a capital, as is Shadizar. Second, it is known to be a city in which wealth is the most important factor in life, similar to Shadizar. Third, it's larger than Shiran and possible to get swallowed up in it. Fourth, it is a fairly cosmopolitan society so I think that's better than Golotha for that.

corsair
Cottar
Cottar

#19 Post by corsair » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:15 am

I went with Golotha in the end (and got CGI to fix the city pdf). I used Fate Core and it went really well. It captured the Conan pulp feel more easily than HM3. Heptarch Khala-Morvrin made a good, mysterious antagonist. His "oft-flooded" basement gave way to a sunken (or inverted) tower. The top/bottom of which housed a true horror.

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#20 Post by MDMann » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:27 am

Cool. Write it up. It sounds like a good adventure.
Per Sir Veer.

APrewett
Yeoman
Yeoman

#21 Post by APrewett » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:20 pm

Don't discount Tashal. A great thieving city when the trade fair is on. No better spot for cloak and dagger when the rich merchants are on town...