HarnCon 2016

A forum to discuss topics replated to the organsiation, running, or post-Con windup of the current HârnCon, wherever it may be held.

Moderators: Spartan, NicktheLemming

Krazma
Baron
Baron

Re: HarnCon 2016

#26 Post by Krazma » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:16 am

Lawrence, if attendees are staying at various hotels and commuting to the event at your house, what's the parking situation there? How far to local eateries, etc?

lawrence
Villein
Villein

#27 Post by lawrence » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:48 pm

Street parking is plentiful. Our driveway will take three cars. I'm on 17th street and San Carlos. There's pizza, Indian, Subway, The Garage(dinner a bit pricey), a German wurst place, and a 7-11 between 10th and 11th Street on San Carlos.That's 6 short blocks. Mexican, fusion Asian, and Vietnamese on 10th and Williams two blocks down 10th and San Carlos. Hotels/motels are 10-15 minutes away walking.

We could do a LARP in my backyard. It's terraced with a small river behind. Lots of trees. Perhaps an ambush of some sort.

My game table can take 8 comfortably and my dining room 8 to 10. The breakfast nook no more than 6. For a small group of 3 + GM, a folding table in the living room. Out back I can set up another table for 6-8.

Pluses:
Can play as long as you want
I could put up 2 people in my back room
Convenient access to food and shelter
Delightful summer weather almost all the time.
Negatives:
Noise from other games
I'd expect help cleaning up after
Nearest game store is a good 20 minutes away by car
A few days a year the temperature does get up to 95

If there's interest in coming here, I can look for other venues.
Let us go then, you and I...

Sir Robert
Cottar
Cottar

#28 Post by Sir Robert » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:48 am

Hey everyone, I'm Rob and I've been speaking to Richard Luschek about an offer to run HarnCon this year in Indianapolis. We spoke about it at GenCon and one of our local players offered up his home along with another site option. I'm just going to offer our proposal and see what everyone thinks, and whether you'd be interested in attending or if you have suggestions.

Dates:

We are interested in hosting this over the course of a weekend in Late May, possibly early June. This might allow for multiple HarnCons if others want to host something at a later date. We're hoping to stay away from GenCons dates so those in our region don't have to decide between the two.

Option #1: A home in Zionsville, IN (Northwest side of Indy) The home is about 10,000 sq feet and looks like a castle both inside and out complete with a great hall and several rooms that could be used, along with a bar in the basement we could probably setup with food and 3 different kitchens available for cooking arrangements. We believe we could fit 3 groups in the basement, 2 on the main floor, 2 in an apartment above the garage, and another 2 outside both off the basement and above it off the main floor (weather permitting, though they are both protected from rain, wind could be an issue for papers). Assuming an avg of 6 people per group that should permit 42 people inside, 54 with the outside. This would be about 10 minutes from lodging options, and maybe 5-10 from restaurants.

Option #2: The owner of the home also has a 100 acre forest property South of Indy which we are turning into an event site for Battle-gaming, Larping, Faires, Weddings, etc. The barn on site will be complete for our next scheduled event there in March, and will be fully finished by the time we would want to host this. It will have enough space for over a hundred people inside with tables, bathrooms, showers all inside. There is also a second floor which will have a bunkhouse with 20 beds. Camping would be encouraged and there are some great finished campsites already prepared next to the barn. The site will also have an outdoor kitchen facility for a potential Saturday feast to be prepared at. The property is deep in the country, being surrounded by a State Forest, but it's only about 15-20 minutes from Bloomington, IN where Indiana University is located which offers a huge selection of lodging and restaurants (though, the offer of free onsite camping could save people a lot of money).

Both sites are about the same distance from the Indianapolis airport, maybe 30 minutes to #1 and 40 minutes to #2

Schedule:

This is where we would want the most feedback. Our group can provide 4 very experienced GM's and we can probably pull some others as needed, but we would want to invite everyone to of course run their own games (and likely to free us up to help run the event). We would have to base the number of games off the number of attendees. I'm considering a schedule of maybe 2 time slots Friday & Saturday for games to tentatively begin, with 2 confirmed games for each slot and some optional games to increase those available as needed if attendance grows.

Advertising:

One of our goals with running this event will be to try and get some new blood interested in Harn. While I look forward to meeting fellow Harniacs, we believe Harn deserves a larger following, and we are prepared to push for some people from various local groups we are involved with to come out and try the game and setting with a lot of veterans. While we won't be expecting our typical event sizes, we are hoping to at least double the numbers from last year's HarnCon. If this gets particularly big, we will be forced to take Location Option #2 to accommodate.

This also might make running other systems with the Harn Setting attractive for some gamers unfamiliar with HarnMaster if anyone would be willing to take a stab at it.

Food:

We understand last year's HarnCon had a wonderful feast, and we will be prepared to at least offer something on Saturday night. Other meals are a bit up in the air right now, but we are exploring some options. Ideally, we are hoping to offer everything that would be needed on site so people won't have to leave, but that would require a larger budget, donors, or possibly an on-site restaurant.

That about covers it for now, I believe. Let me know what you think!

~Rob

Catfish
Beadle
Beadle

#29 Post by Catfish » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:16 am

I would love to see HarnCon in Indianapolis. For one thing I can easily drive there. While traveling to the west coast sounds cool, not much chance of me flying to any distant Con for a few years.
The area also has a fairly large Harn and enthusiastic community already. It seems pretty centralized and the facilities sound wonderful. Local hotels and eateries would probably cheaper as well.

I like it being earlier in the spring. If people are interested in this years Con being in Indy, we should decide soon.
How do we proceed, vote on it. Then vote on the date.

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#30 Post by bbailey » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:23 am

A HárnCon in Indy is much more doable for me than one in California. Those dates sound workable.

Arcturius
Half Villein
Half Villein

#31 Post by Arcturius » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:36 pm

I would be interested in Harncon in Indianapolis. I cannot promise I could make it, but having it in June instead of May would increase the probability I could go.

Kaliklak
Woodward
Woodward

#32 Post by Kaliklak » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:44 am

I would consider going to Indy for a Harncon and could probably bring along a few additional Michiganders.
Please note that Origins is June 15-19 and many gamers (including myself) are already booked for that.
Ia Araka Kalai! Ilvir Fhtagn!

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

#33 Post by jpm » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:40 am

I will schedule vacation this year to make the event provided it does not coincide with GenCon or the family event I have in July. Happy to come to Indy or the bay area (sorry outside of the USA isn't a possibility for me this year). I will likely bring something to GM, but would really prefer to play a bit more this year....
The King is dead. Long live the King. All Hail Calsten II, King of Kaldor and Lion of the North!

mcammer
Villein
Villein

#34 Post by mcammer » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:48 am

Boy, both Indy options sound great. Driveable for me and would likely attend with one more.

Note- May 30 is Memorial Day, Don't know if this is better or worse for others. We typically have plans but could certainly defer those in favor of this.

GarryHamlin
Villein
Villein

#35 Post by GarryHamlin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:16 pm

I live in Indianapolis. Needless to say, I'm all for Indy as the site!

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#36 Post by bbailey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:31 pm

So, what's the next step here?

Catfish
Beadle
Beadle

#37 Post by Catfish » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:21 pm

Sounds like we are looking at the first two weeks of June.
We do need to settle on one soon so people can plan. I suggest the earlier date, to keep it away from Origins (June 15-19).

Folks want to chime in here so Robert and the Indy crew can start planning?

Arcturius
Half Villein
Half Villein

#38 Post by Arcturius » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:05 pm

Early June sounds like a possibility for me. The sooner a date and place is set, the more likely it would be that I could come.

balgashang
Reeve
Reeve

#39 Post by balgashang » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:41 am

I have never been to a harncon, and would like to before I die, if it's Indianapolis I could prollynaked it fairly easily, ya'll still have taxi's around there? I drive a truck for a living so can prolly get a three day weekend.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#40 Post by Rothesay » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:33 am

balgashang wrote:I could prollynaked it fairly easily
I imagine Richard will have the prollynaked 'covered.' :lol:

balgashang
Reeve
Reeve

#41 Post by balgashang » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:24 pm

Lol thats what not proof reading gets you, gotta love predictive text

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

#42 Post by jpm » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:41 pm

Any update on when, where and if HarnCon will occur this year?
The King is dead. Long live the King. All Hail Calsten II, King of Kaldor and Lion of the North!

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#43 Post by bbailey » Thu May 19, 2016 8:15 am

So... no HârnCon this year I take it?

gallusgames
Knight
Knight

#44 Post by gallusgames » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:42 am

A shame there's no HarnCon .... but it's not too late to sign up for IviniaCon in Sweden ... you'd all be very welcome.

gallusgames
Knight
Knight

#45 Post by gallusgames » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:05 am

Does this mean that this year the announcement of 'best fanon' etc. will be in Boras?