HârnCon 2013 - Vancouver - July 5-7

A forum to discuss topics replated to the organsiation, running, or post-Con windup of the current HârnCon, wherever it may be held.

Moderators: Spartan, NicktheLemming

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

HârnCon 2013 - Vancouver - July 5-7

#1 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:48 am

Hi all,

It's been 10 years since the first HârnCon was held in June 2003 at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, BC. About 40 folks attended, including Robin and Tom. This summer let's return to where it started and celebrate 10 years of gatherings and friendships in the beautiful lower mainland of British Columbia. The weekend of July 5-7, 2013 has been chosen for this year's HârnCon.

The Venue

The venue will be the Coast Vancouver Airport Hotel, located very near to Vancouver International Airport (YVR). There is a complementary airport shuttle that runs throughout the day. For those driving up from the US border at Blaine (home of Columbia Games), Route 99 goes directly to the hotel. Parking at the hotel will be free for the weekend for HârnCon participants.

Our space for gaming will be the combined Board and Marine meeting rooms. This is a 19' x 47' space that will easily accommodate up to 50 of us seated around game tables. We have this room for the full day on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and it will be secured overnight so game materials may be left out on the tables.

Accommodations and Food

For those requiring guest accommodations, there are two room options at the group rate. The "Comfort" room has one queen or two double beds for $119 CDN per night, and the "Superior" room, which is in the quieter part of the hotel, has one king or two double beds plus a mini fridge, for $129 CDN per night.

For onsite food, the hotel restaurant (White Spot) offers great food at reasonable prices, and the Hudson's Landing Pub is in close proximity to our game room. There are also a number of offsite restaurants that are nearby. I will be posting another thread detailing Vancouver attractions for those who choose to bring along a retinue.

Events

Of course, we can't run a great HârnCon without the input of the many fantastic writers and gamemasters represented on the forum. If you are planning on coming, start thinking about an event you would like to contribute. I will start a separate thread for event planning a little closer to the con.

Convention Fee

The preregistration fee for the weekend is $40 CDN. I would prefer to have everyone preregister, as this will allow me to plan better based on the number of expected participants, as well as have available funds to cover the early costs associated with the venue booking.

The fee will be higher for those who decide to pay at the door. If you can only participate for part of the weekend I will work out an appropriate amount (please contact me directly if this is the case).

For preregistration, I will accept fees paid to my PayPal account, which is associated with my e-mail address (bmcneilly@shaw.ca). I can also accept e-Transfers (to the same e-mail address) if your financial institution supports that feature. Another option would be to mail me a cheque (please contact me directly if this is your preference).

That's all I have for now. I will use this thread to pass on all the latest information as it becomes available.

Hope to see you in July!

Cheers,
Brian
Last edited by Brénan-al-Saél on Fri May 31, 2013 4:02 am, edited 9 times in total.
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

Re: HârnCon 10th Anniversary - Vancouver - July 5-7, 2013

#2 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:58 am

If you are planning on staying in the hotel for the weekend, please let me know how many rooms you require as soon as you are able. I will get them to set aside a block for us, but I need to have a bit of an idea about how many to ask for.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Gothmog » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:05 am

Brénan-al-Saél wrote:If you are planning on staying in the hotel for the weekend, please let me know how many rooms you require as soon as you are able. I will get them to set aside a block for us, but I need to have a bit of an idea about how many to ask for.

Thanks,
Brian
Put me down for one "Superior" with two double beds.
Ok, let me get this straight. These guys come in, trash the place, slap Agrik & Larani around, and the most intelligible thing they said was "Zog!"?

Grant

#4 Post by Grant » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:37 am

Columbia Games will attend and support HarnCon!
Grant Dalgliesh
Columbia Games, Inc.

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

#5 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:49 am

Hi all,

If you are thinking about attending HârnCon in July, please send a quick reply to this thread or drop me a note. I need to commit to the venue and sign all the paperwork this week and I would like to have a better idea of numbers.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by Leitchy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:36 am

I'm in and I'll take a room (Superior, a double) at the hotel too. :)

There, I'm committed now....or I should be.

:mrgreen:
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Ken_Snellings
Knight
Knight

#7 Post by Ken_Snellings » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:33 am

thinking about yes. Committed to coming, not yet. Sorry about that.
Ken Snellings
CHMP Member
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States of America

gallusgames
Knight
Knight

#8 Post by gallusgames » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:46 am

Sorry, guys - too far for me. Enjoy!

Balesir
Constable
Constable

#9 Post by Balesir » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:13 am

I'm thinking about it, but present circumstances (I am currently a student (again), with no income and a dissertation to write!) mean it's a tough call. I'd love to make it, but can't commit yet, I'm afraid.
Balesir

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by Leitchy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:43 am

<sigh>

It's with a huge amount of regret that I have to pull out of HarnCon 2013. I'm very sad about this, but some totally unexpected—and unpleasantly large—expenses mean my trip to Canada has to cancelled. I simply can't afford the airfare.

Sorry guys...

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by Gothmog » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:18 am

Leitchy wrote:<sigh>

It's with a huge amount of regret that I have to pull out of HarnCon 2013. I'm very sad about this, but some totally unexpected—and unpleasantly large—expenses mean my trip to Canada has to cancelled. I simply can't afford the airfare.

Sorry guys...

That sucks. :(
Ok, let me get this straight. These guys come in, trash the place, slap Agrik & Larani around, and the most intelligible thing they said was "Zog!"?

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

#12 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:13 am

Leitchy wrote:<sigh>

Sorry guys...

Ug. That's too bad Peter. Sorry you are unable to come.

The room at the hotel does have wireless internet for the weekend. Perhaps we can get you online for part of the event.

Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

#13 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:26 am

Hello everyone,

A block of rooms for accommodations at The Coast Vancouver Airport Hotel has been set aside for us at the previously quoted prices. Please feel free to book your room(s) anytime.

The toll-free reservations line for Coast Hotels is 1-800-663-1144. Please quote the group name (HarnCon) or Group Code (CVA-GFC1369).

Here are the rates again:

Comfort Room, One Queen Bed - $119/night
Comfort Room, Two Double Beds - $119/night
Superior Room, One King Bed - $129/night
Superior Room, Two Double Beds - $129/night
Premium Suite, One King Bed - $189/night

The block will be available to us until June 5, after which the rooms will be released for other guests.

Cheers,
Brian
Last edited by Brénan-al-Saél on Wed May 22, 2013 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Devil
Cottar
Cottar

#14 Post by Devil » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:18 am

This sounds awesome. And even better in that I live in downtown Vancouver. Barring unforeseen circumstances, count me in.

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

#15 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:21 am

Devil wrote:This sounds awesome. And even better in that I live in downtown Vancouver. Barring unforeseen circumstances, count me in.
Excellent! I'm keen to meet other local Hârniacs, and HârnCon will be a great place to do it.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

#16 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:01 am

HârnCon Fees

In the interest of covering the cost of the venue, and to get as many folks as possible to pre-register so we can plan events ahead of time, here are the fees for participants at HârnCon (all are in $CDN).

The pre-registration fee for the entire weekend is $40, which is available until June 1, 2013. After that date the weekend fee will be the "at-the-door" fee of $50.

If someone can only participate for a portion of the weekend, the fees will be $20/day or $10/game slot, whichever makes the most sense.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by Gothmog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:43 am

Brénan-al-Saél wrote:HârnCon Fees

In the interest of covering the cost of the venue, and to get as many folks as possible to pre-register so we can plan events ahead of time, here are the fees for participants at HârnCon (all are in $CDN).

The pre-registration fee for the entire weekend is $40, which is available until June 1, 2013. After that date the weekend fee will be the "at-the-door" fee of $50.

If someone can only participate for a portion of the weekend, the fees will be $20/day or $10/game slot, whichever makes the most sense.

Thanks,
Brian

Fee`s sent for 2! Time to book the hotel!

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

#18 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:46 am

Gothmog wrote:Fee`s sent for 2! Time to book the hotel!
And the prize for the first registered participant goes to Gothmog! (not sure what the prize is yet but I'll think of something by July :wink:)

Thanks,
Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

#19 Post by Gothmog » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:32 am

Well. I am committed. Hotel is booked. See you there. :D

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

#20 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:53 am

Hi all,

Quick update. We have a new contact at the hotel who is managing our event. Her name is Tracey, and here is the updated information for booking accommodations:

The Group Reservation Code is CVA-GFC1369.

Participants can make their room reservations as follows:

1. Contact the hotel directly: Tracey Fagg, Reservations Manager (email sales@coastvancouverairport.com or phone 604-639-2402)

2. Book on-line at www.coasthotels.com (enter group code CVA-GFC1369 on the reservations page)

3. Call Coast Hotels & Resorts toll-free reservations line 1-800-663-1144 (quote group code CVA-GFC1369)

Cheers,
Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

#21 Post by Gothmog » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:15 am

Soooo.... how many coming so far?

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

#22 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Tue May 07, 2013 3:54 am

Gothmog wrote:Soooo.... how many coming so far?
Hi y'all,

Sorry for being out of touch last week - my household was very busy with various events. But now I'm getting back into HârnCon planning mode.

The con is now 2 months away and I have about a dozen committed so far (though not all have paid their fee yet).

I want to remind folks who plan to travel to Vancouver for the con that hotel reservations must be made prior to June 5. At this point we lose our block of rooms and they will go fast as this is prime vacation time.

I would appreciate getting a few more pre-registrations this month. If you pay in May you will save $10 and you will give me a better idea of the numbers attending. Also, this coming weekend I am sending a mass e-mail to all the local folks I have ever run a Hârn demo for here in Vancouver. I anticipate getting a fair number of registrations from this group, so I would like to get everyone from the forum who is traveling to Vancouver signed up first to make sure there is a spot for you.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

#23 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Thu May 23, 2013 2:14 am

A reminder for those planning to stay at the hotel ...

The deadline for booking accommodations is June 5 (that's two weeks from today!). After that date we can no longer get the special rates and we give up our reserved block of rooms.

Here are the rates again:

Comfort Room, One Queen Bed - $119/night
Comfort Room, Two Double Beds - $119/night
Superior Room, One King Bed - $129/night
Superior Room, Two Double Beds - $129/night
Premium Suite, One King Bed - $189/night

The Group Reservation Code is CVA-GFC1369.

Participants can make their room reservations as follows:

1. Contact the hotel directly: Tracey Fagg, Reservations Manager (email sales@coastvancouverairport.com or phone 604-639-2402)

2. Book on-line at http://www.coasthotels.com (enter group code CVA-GFC1369 on the reservations page)

3. Call Coast Hotels & Resorts toll-free reservations line 1-800-663-1144 (quote group code CVA-GFC1369)

Please make your reservation soon if you are planning on staying at the hotel for the con!

Thanks,
Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

Re: HârnCon 2013 - Vancouver - July 5-7

#24 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Fri May 31, 2013 4:08 am

Hi all,

If you are wondering about bringing along a younger or inexperienced roleplayer to HârnCon, please be reassured that this audience will be represented at the con. At least two other participants are teenagers with limited roleplaying experience. I plan to run Field of Daisies at least once as an introduction to roleplaying and Hârn to hopefully get more young folks involved.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HârnCon 2013 - Vancouver - July 5-7

#25 Post by Gothmog » Fri May 31, 2013 5:37 am

How many people coming so far?