HârnCon 2013 Vancouver

A forum to discuss topics replated to the organsiation, running, or post-Con windup of the current HârnCon, wherever it may be held.

Moderators: Spartan, NicktheLemming

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

HârnCon 2013 Vancouver

#1 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:56 am

Hi all,

Sorry I've been so slow to get a post up here, but I wanted to let everyone know I've started the planning process for the 10th Anniversary of HârnCon, here in Vancouver BC (Canada) in 2013.

Can you believe it's been 10 years? What a lot of celebrations have happened the world over since our first humble gathering in 2003 at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby BC (where Robin and Tom started the whole thing).

A number of you have indicated the July long weekend as a good choice for timing. The Canadian holiday is on a Thursday next year, but having the July 4 holiday on a Monday will allow those from south of the border a chance to stick around for the whole day on Sunday.

This is my first choice, although it will depend heavily on availability of the venue, so please don't book your vacation until I can firm up the dates.

Speaking of the venue, I'm considering returning to the Marpole Curling Club. This is where we held HârnCon VI in 2008. While not in the prettiest part of town, it has a number of advantages:

1. proximity to the airport (with new trains that stop quite close to the club)
2. partnership with a nearby hotel for group rates
3. the management are really nice folks who told me they would love to have us return
4. reasonable rate for the facility rental, and best of all
5. we get to play in a pub for the entire weekend (with our very own bartender to meet our extensive beverage needs)

For those thinking of being tourists during your time here (or bringing along a retinue who would like to do so) there is a nearby station on the new SkyTrain line (that was built for the 2010 Olympics) which will get people to downtown Vancouver in 10-15 minutes.

I'm still waiting on quotes from the club, and I will update this thread as I have more information.

Cheers,
Brian
Last edited by Brénan-al-Saél on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HârnCon 10th Anniversary, 2013 Vancouver BC Canada

#2 Post by Gothmog » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Hurray! :multi:

I've been waiting for this post! I like the idea of the Marpole Curling Club, enjoyed it in 08 and I found it easy to get around by vehicle.

Count me in! :D
Ok, let me get this straight. These guys come in, trash the place, slap Agrik & Larani around, and the most intelligible thing they said was "Zog!"?

GronkGroks
Bailiff
Bailiff

#3 Post by GronkGroks » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:16 am

Sorry for the slow response, first time I've been able to visit Lythia this week.

I would love to go to British Columbia for the Convention on July 4th. Am I correct in assuming that we Yanks still need a visa to get to our neighbors to the north?
...and I'm not dead yet...

Shane Dopson
Half Villein
Half Villein

#4 Post by Shane Dopson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:37 am

That's great Brian!
I'll like to offer to help out with the planning/organizing/set-up, though I'm more of a support person. I don't mind getting grunt/repetitive work done.
If you need anything, let me know, but I know it is still early.
Send me an email when you would like to get started.

Cheers,
Shane
“You seem a decent fellow, I hate to kill you.”
Inigo Montoya

Peter the skald
Grand Master Silly Bugger

#5 Post by Peter the skald » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:11 pm

This might be a monumentally dim question but........

Is this going to be the 2013 Harncon? Or more of a local get together? I only ask as it is in July and for some reason I thought the con's took place in August............
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

rob
Knight
Knight

#6 Post by rob » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:05 am

I'm interested Brian. The timing sounds right for me too. Thanks for the leg work.

jchokey
Knight
Knight

#7 Post by jchokey » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:30 am

Very excited by this. I better get my passport renewed.
-- Jim Chokey

"Argent, chief embattled tenne. A coney of the field and crossed carrots proper"

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by Gothmog » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:48 am

Peter the skald wrote:This might be a monumentally dim question but........

Is this going to be the 2013 Harncon? Or more of a local get together? I only ask as it is in July and for some reason I thought the con's took place in August............

I believe this is the 2013 HarnCon, which is the 10 year anniversary of the 1st HarnCon which was held in Vancouver, BC.
Ok, let me get this straight. These guys come in, trash the place, slap Agrik & Larani around, and the most intelligible thing they said was "Zog!"?

Ken_Snellings
Knight
Knight

#9 Post by Ken_Snellings » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:15 am

They take place really whenever the local organizer decides to hold it. We've had them in July before.
Ken Snellings
CHMP Member
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States of America

Krazma
Baron
Baron

#10 Post by Krazma » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:40 am

Peter the skald wrote:I only ask as it is in July and for some reason I thought the con's took place in August............
See viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11219 (though it is missing the last few).

HârnCon I was held in June, HârnCons III, VIII, & XI were held in July, HârnCons II, VI, VII & X were held in August, HârnCons IV & V were held in September, and HârnCon IX was held in January.

IviniaCons, by contrast, all seem to be held in August.

Peter the skald

#11 Post by Peter the skald » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:22 pm

IviniaCons, by contrast, all seem to be held in August.
This must be the source of my error! Many thanks. I think it extremely unlikely I will attend :(; either this or Iviniacon.

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by Leitchy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:30 am

Oh thank Agrik!

Now the Silly Bugger is out of the way ;), I'd like to say that I'll be making every effort to attend. I haven't been back to Vancouver in too long; it's my second favourite part of the world.

If things go to plan as I hope, I may be in Europe in early August too, so if there's a plan for IviniaCon, I'd like to hear about it.

That was a hint, guys.

:mrgreen:
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Peter the skald

#13 Post by Peter the skald » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:28 pm

I am now tempted to move heaven and earth to attend just to leitchy bait.... :twisted:

ogier
Beadle
Beadle

#14 Post by ogier » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:02 am

Leitchy wrote: If things go to plan as I hope, I may be in Europe in early August too, so if there's a plan for IviniaCon, I'd like to hear about it.
Cristophe might be planning something in Bayonne, France for next years Ivinia Con/Lythia Con. Take a look at the Lythiacon sub forum.

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by Leitchy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:24 am

Peter the skald wrote:I am now tempted to move heaven and earth to attend just to leitchy bait.... :twisted:
Oh please. Please, please, PLEASE!

Give it your best shot. I'd relish the opportunity...

I'm SO tired of word fights with unarmed people.

:P
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#16 Post by Leitchy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:26 am

ogier wrote:
Leitchy wrote: If things go to plan as I hope, I may be in Europe in early August too, so if there's a plan for IviniaCon, I'd like to hear about it.
Cristophe might be planning something in Bayonne, France for next years Ivinia Con/Lythia Con. Take a look at the Lythiacon sub forum.
Fantastic! :)
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

lawrence
Villein
Villein

#17 Post by lawrence » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:38 pm

It would be great to have it in Vancouver. Unfortunately for me, my dear wife has her heart set on this silly 35 day cruise from Boston to Boston with stops in Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, Norway, Holland, and a few more places. That leaves Boston on 7/18, (the seventh day of the eighteenth month) which theoretically would allow a few days in Canada in early July, but that's a lot of travel in one month. The good thing is that I don't have to plan on hosting it in my home next summer.

Lawrence
Let us go then, you and I...

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

#18 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:56 am

Hi all,

Just a quick update to let you know I am still working on getting a proper quote from the venue and firming up the dates. Right now we are looking at July 5-7, 2013 and I will post here as soon as those dates are confirmed.

Sorry to delay anyone waiting to make travel plans. I hope to have a firm commitment on the dates very soon.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

#19 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:52 am

We are good to go for July 5-7! :D

Sadly, we won't have the space at the Marpole Club like last time, but my backup plan was a nice room for us at the hotel that we used for HarnCon in 2008.

I apologize for the delay getting this together. I thought everything was fine with Marpole in the fall, but they changed management over the holiday season, forgot about me, and when the process started up again they seemed less interested in summer rentals than before, deciding to charge more than 3 times what was expected.

However, those that were here in 2008 will remember the accommodations at the Coast Vancouver Airport Hotel, which were quite nice. The space for the con is a 19' x 47' room right in the hotel, with good natural lighting and very close proximity to the hotel pub and the hotel restaurant (White Spot). The room also has complimentary hard-wired and wireless internet for the duration of the con. We will have the space for the entire day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, July 5-7. We won't officially begin until Friday evening (for locals who have to work that day), but the space will be available throughout the day on Friday for ad-hoc gaming for early arrivals.

The group rates for accommodations are $119 CDN per night for a "Comfort" room which has one queen or two double beds, or $129 CDN per night for a "Superior" room, which is in the quieter part of the hotel, has one king or two double beds, plus a mini fridge. Once I have some responses back I will arrange for a group block and participants will have to book their accommodations on their own.

I will receive a formal proposal from the hotel tomorrow and will pass along the information about fees for the weekend at that time. I will need to get an idea of how many will require accommodations at the hotel fairly quickly.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

#20 Post by Gothmog » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Whohoo! I'm in, plus I'll be bringing one of my players.

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#21 Post by Leitchy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm checking options for flights as well; I want to continue on to Europe after HarnCon, so it'll take me a while to figure it all out, but I am really keen to be there. It's been a decade since I was in Vancouver and I miss it. :)
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

#22 Post by Gothmog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Leitchy wrote:I'm checking options for flights as well; I want to continue on to Europe after HarnCon, so it'll take me a while to figure it all out, but I am really keen to be there. It's been a decade since I was in Vancouver and I miss it. :)

That would be cool! I look forward to finally meeting you in person. :D

rob
Knight
Knight

#23 Post by rob » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Bloody hell! I wish I could make it. But.... Its not the time off or money strangely, I am seriously considering retiring from my job in September so I am sort of conserving money toward that end. Damn.... :evil:

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

#24 Post by Gothmog » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 am

rob wrote:Bloody hell! I wish I could make it. But.... Its not the time off or money strangely, I am seriously considering retiring from my job in September so I am sort of conserving money toward that end. Damn.... :evil:
you.... must.... come.... play....

Retire in October. :wink: The 10th Anniversary of the Con only comes once....

gallusgames
Knight
Knight

#25 Post by gallusgames » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 am

Krazma wrote:IviniaCons, by contrast, all seem to be held in August.
Unsurprising given the orderly nature of our Scandinavian colleagues.