HârnCon XI Report

A forum to discuss topics replated to the organsiation, running, or post-Con windup of the current HârnCon, wherever it may be held.

Moderators: Spartan, NicktheLemming

Krazma
Baron
Baron

HârnCon XI Report

#1 Post by Krazma » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:01 am

HârnCon XI was held July 13-15, 2012 in Austin, Texas.

Attendees: Brent Bailey (bbailey), Rob Barnes (Krazma), Oddgeir Drevdal (ogier), Patrick McDonald (jpm), Jon Purvis (jrpurvis)

Oddgeir arrived Thursday evening and helped with setting things up on Friday before we went to pick Brent up from the airport. By the time we got back to the hotel, Patrick had also arrived. Everyone was hungry, so we went out to dinner at a local steakhouse before the start of the first session: the Kaldor in Crisis block game by Dave Mareske (St Benedict). Despite being the only one who had never played it before, Oddgeir won handily playing the Baron of Nenda.

Saturday morning we were joined by Jon. The first session was Oddgeir's adventure: The Hunters. Since he'll be running it at IviniaCon, I won't give anything away here, but it was a lot of fun. We played a group of Kaldoran nobles hunting in the wooded hills of eastern Vemionshire. Needless to say, things got complicated.

After breaking for lunch, we got into a good conversation. Since everyone was having a good time, we decided to forego the planned session and just spent a few hours discussing all things Hârnic. We also worked in another short block game before dinner, which was this time won by Jon (as Orsin Firith).

The group dinner was at Fonda San Miguel, an excellent interior-style Mexican restaurant in Austin. We continued our earlier discussion as we dined. Jon needed some dice, so we stopped by a local game store called Dragon's Lair before returning to the hotel.

The evening session was Patrick's Men in White II adventure, which features a group of PC mages as "problem solvers" for the Order of the Gentle White Hand. Everyone had a good time working together to save Kethira-as-we-know-it.

Sunday, it was just Oddgeir, Brent, and myself, so we did some non-gaming stuff as we continued discussing various Hârn projects, checking out the state capitol and the Texas State History Museum downtown and doing a driving tour of the Hill Country before having a BBQ lunch. Afterwards, Brent departed. Oddgeir and I spent some time visiting the botanical gardens before a massive downpour put an end to any further outdoor activities.

Thanks to Brent, Oddgeir, Patrick, and Jon for a small but successful HârnCon. I think Patrick might have snapped some pictures. If so, maybe he'll post them here.

jrpurvis
Beadle
Beadle

Re: HârnCon XI Report

#2 Post by jrpurvis » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:54 am

This was the second gaming convention I have ever attended - the first was over 25 years ago - and I did have fun. And although I own Harnmaster v1 and v2, this was the first time I've ever had a chance to play the rules. I managed to roll 00 three times in a very short period, but won't hold that against the rules. Gameplay was about as I expected, and I wouldn't be adverse to using Harnmaster in a campaign, although I still think the Hero system is superior for my needs. I do need to figure out how to game more than once every five years.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Kaldor in Crisis board game. I'm not a wargamer/tactical gamer at all, and have never played any block game, so I had no idea of what to expect. I'd enjoy doing it again. The wife gave me strange looks when I tried to describe it to her, so I guess I'll need to find a different opponent.

Did you guys know they have these fancy 10-sided dice that have 10,20,30,etc on them, instead of 1,2,3,etc? First time I ever saw them. 8O Shows just how often I go to a gaming store..... When I saw everyone else using them, I knew I needed some. Finally got a 20-sider that goes all the way to 20, instead of going to 10 twice, at the same time.

Left the hotel Saturday night at 11:15PM for the trip home in light rain. Halfway home, and it was a downpour - I couldn't even see the lines on the pavement anymore, and was driving extra slow. Parts of Austin got 5+ inches of rain, but at my house we only got 0.1 inch. Sunday Austin got more rain, and we got nothing. That's the big city for you - stealing needed resources from the little farmer!