Kia Ora!

This is where new forum members can introduce themselves, tell us a bit about their roleplaying, the style of game they play, and anything else they want to share.

Moderator: Spartan

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

Re: Kia Ora!

#26 Post by Targan » Thu May 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Leitchy wrote:Yes, I believe there is a paragraph in the Australian Constitution to allow New Zealand to become the seventh State, but only if they ask to join, and we let them. I recall the former NZ Prime Minister John Keys said once that it would be a cold day in Hell....or words to that effect. So not any time soon, then. :D I suspect it would only come about if NZ was failing as a nation state, and I just don't see that happening.
My understanding is that the biggest reason that New Zealand decided against joining the Australian Commonwealth was that the travel time by sea was too long, and that the Kiwi Federal MPs wouldn't be able to spend enough time in their home electorates to properly represent their constituents.
Sent from my PC using my keyboard

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#27 Post by Rothesay » Thu May 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Targan wrote:
kiwihiker wrote:The day that the All Blacks cease to exist, and I have to support the Wallabies, will be a cold day in hell.
Amen brother :D
Can I ask as a Yank that this be explained? It sounds a bit, well wrong, to me. But I'm certain I'm not getting it.

kiwihiker
Cottar
Cottar

#28 Post by kiwihiker » Thu May 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Rothesay wrote:
Targan wrote:
kiwihiker wrote:The day that the All Blacks cease to exist, and I have to support the Wallabies, will be a cold day in hell.
Amen brother :D
Can I ask as a Yank that this be explained? It sounds a bit, well wrong, to me. But I'm certain I'm not getting it.
Haha - yep, sure. We're talking the hallowed sport of Rugby Union. The All Blacks is the name for the NZ national team, the Wallabies being the Australian equivalent.

NZ has something of a little brother complex when it comes to Australia (I can say this being a NZer, or 'Kiwi'). We're extremely competitive when it comes to sporting endeavours with our larger neighbour. Although reciprocally, I don't think Aussies give much of a toss about NZ. Given Rugby Union is nearly a national religion in NZ, well, let's just say we get a little passionate on that front.

As a final note, the label All Blacks came about as a result of an English journalist's typo a century ago; the way the NZ team played against the English led him to describe the entire team as being comprised of 'all b[l]acks' because they were so fast in comparison to the lumbering English forwards. Nothing much has changed in the intervening century...

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#29 Post by Rothesay » Thu May 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Thank you - I should have guessed something like that. I get it now.

You guys are funny. I've worked with and known both Kiwis and Aussies. You're great people. I can honestly say I've never met anyone from either country that wasn't a good egg. But, I have also noted the rivalry. I kind of get it. A Kiwi I knew could never forgive his sister for marrying an Aussie. I won't opine on that. As an American, I just consider you all kindred spirits. 8)

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#30 Post by Leitchy » Thu May 04, 2017 3:08 pm

Rugby Union isn't a national religion in Australia like it is in NZ because we have fanatical followings of four different codes of football; Australian Rules, Rugby League, Rugby Union, and Soccer. We also have a small but enthusiastic following for American Football. Which is why NZ are completely dominant in Union right now, and have been for years and years. They have a presence in League where they are competitive but not dominant. Oddly, we don't mind losing to Kiwis; we HATE losing to the English. At anything! (Bloody Poms.)

I wouldn't say that Australians don't give a toss about NZ. I think we're much closer than that. But I think, like most big brothers, we don't give NZ enough consideration sometimes. But it's weird to be considered a 'big brother' though because we know that Australia is really small potatoes on the world stage. :) I mean, in population terms we're 10 times the size of NZ, and land size...let's not go there. But when it comes to influence on the global stage...really, we're both equal.

As for kindred spirits, from this Aussie's point of view, what's known in the Defence Intelligence terms as the Five Eyes Nations are all kindred spirits; AUS, NZ, GB, CAN, and USA. :) Probably something to do with common historical origins and shared effort in war...something like that. :)

Canadians are just Aussies with strange accents and a thing for snow.
Kiwis are Poms with strange accents who own Hobbiton and are really hard to beat at Union.
Poms are the enemy...on the sporting field. You name it; cricket, League, Union, swimming, bowls, hockey, yachting, pretty much any sport you care to name, really. Darts! They can have the honour of beating us at darts ('cause they get whooped by the Dutch anyway! Nyah-hah!)
Yanks are someone to make fun of...in private. :) And we all shake our heads sadly at the stuff that comes out of America, but we love you and think you'll probably get better one day...one day...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#31 Post by MDMann » Thu May 04, 2017 4:05 pm

And we're better at all those sports. Except darts.
Per Sir Veer.

Peter the skald
Grand Master Silly Bugger
Grand Master Silly Bugger

#32 Post by Peter the skald » Thu May 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Not sure about that but at least we turn up and perform after hosting the Olympics...unlike...well, every other Nation on Earth. :)
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

Munin
Knight
Knight

#33 Post by Munin » Fri May 05, 2017 12:00 am

Yeah, the Five Eyes treaty is pretty cool. Back in 2014, the British Embassy here in the states commemorated the 200th anniversary of their sack of Washington DC and the burning of the White House with this:
A caption I saw of this photo at the time read something like: "American's 'special relationship' with Britain: it's complicated." It still makes me chuckle every time I see it.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#34 Post by Rothesay » Fri May 05, 2017 4:25 am

Leitchy wrote:As for kindred spirits, from this Aussie's point of view, what's known in the Defence Intelligence terms as the Five Eyes Nations are all kindred spirits; AUS, NZ, GB, CAN, and USA. :) Probably something to do with common historical origins and shared effort in war...something like that. :)
Yep, I can get behind this too. 8)

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#35 Post by Rothesay » Fri May 05, 2017 4:26 am

Munin wrote:A caption I saw of this photo at the time read something like: "American's 'special relationship' with Britain: it's complicated." It still makes me chuckle every time I see it.
Sometimes the humor is in the truth! :lol:

Brian_Smaller
Villein
Villein

#36 Post by Brian_Smaller » Fri May 05, 2017 5:22 am

As a final note, the label All Blacks came about as a result of an English journalist's typo a century ago; the way the NZ team played against the English led him to describe the entire team as being comprised of 'all b[l]acks' because they were so fast in comparison to the lumbering English forwards. Nothing much has changed in the intervening century...
The first NZ national team to visit the UK was the 1905 Originals. The standout player was Jimmy Hunter who played second five-eighth in that great team. He scored 44 tries in 24 games on that tour - a record that will never be broken with the days of long tours long being past.

From Wikipedia " After his retirement he farmed at Mangamahu. His homestead was called Oeta and is still in existence."

I live in the Oeta homestead.

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#37 Post by Targan » Fri May 05, 2017 11:01 am

Brian_Smaller wrote:I live in the Oeta homestead.
That is awesome.
Sent from my PC using my keyboard

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#38 Post by Leitchy » Fri May 05, 2017 12:52 pm

That is so cool!

:)
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

kiwihiker
Cottar
Cottar

#39 Post by kiwihiker » Sat May 06, 2017 1:17 am

Brian_Smaller wrote:

From Wikipedia " After his retirement he farmed at Mangamahu. His homestead was called Oeta and is still in existence."

I live in the Oeta homestead.
Oh, that is very groovy.

Bracken
Half Villein
Half Villein

#40 Post by Bracken » Sat May 13, 2017 8:10 am

Kia Ora!
Sadly PnP passed me by, but I do play MUDs.
I'm from deep in the Mainland, so naturally Mangamahu could be in Harn, for all I know.
Did anyone mention who the World Champions are? :D
" that beauty and truth shall pass utterly " Stephen R Donaldson

rwil02
Half Villein
Half Villein

#41 Post by rwil02 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:53 am

Leitchy wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:31 am

I'm sure that people in Auckland, Christchurch and Dunedin say "Wellington says...", too. :)
Nope.
Iconic building effect :)
We say "the Beehive says"

Lord Dynel
Villein
Villein

#42 Post by Lord Dynel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:07 am

Welcome, kiwihiker!

Hârn is pretty fantastic. For a while I was intimidated by it, its enormity and scope, but I've since conquered that fear and have been working on formulating plans for an upcoming campaign.
kiwihiker wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:42 pm
After purchasing a ridiculous volume of paper and PDF Harn materials over the last year, lucky I've not been divorced... this stuff is soooooo addictive. I love Harn.
Haha - I know exactly how you feel! When I came home from GenCon this year with my trove of Hârn stuff, I thought my wife was going to freak out. She didn't, thankfully, but when I told her that I wanted to sheet-protect all of it she wasn't very thrilled. :oops: