Introduction

This is where new forum members can introduce themselves, tell us a bit about their roleplaying, the style of game they play, and anything else they want to share.

Moderator: Spartan

Kettenhund
Cottar
Cottar

Introduction

#1 Post by Kettenhund » Mon May 01, 2017 5:23 am

Good day all,

Long time role-player here. I Started in the mid eighties, but did not find Harn until the nineties. Have been on a long hiatus from roleplaying just do to military commitments and raising a family, the usual "Real Life, TM" stuff.

Anyway, lately I find myself no longer employed by the Government to kill people and break stuff and with a job that provides me with regular people hours. I do some miniature war gaming, WWII and Vietnam in 28mm and love creating terrain and painting the minis and generally the study of history it entails. However, finding fellow role-players here in Tucson Arizona who can commit to a game every week or so or who would be interested in the gritty realism of the Harn setting instead of high powered Fantasy is difficult at best.

As far as joining the forum, I'm hoping to find some Harniacs who would like to play an online game via forum with me serving as GM for the group. Probably something set in Kaldor and using a lot of the Fanon. A small start in a backwater locale akin to a Shower of Silver type characters I'm thinking. So if anyone is interested in play by forum, feel free to open comms up with me.

Thanks John

rob
Knight
Knight

Re: Introduction

#2 Post by rob » Mon May 01, 2017 9:10 pm

Welcome John! Lots of good people here from all around the globe. I to wish I had a regular group of Harn players to do a weekly game with, had one but it died almost as quick as it started (the players fantasy like the have everyday got in the way of the Harn 'reality'). So any way, WELCOME!

Sageryne
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by Sageryne » Tue May 02, 2017 1:06 am

Welcome to HarnForum John. I think you will find it to be a great resource for all your Harn needs!

- Kerry
Well, my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle. - Mal, Firefly.

Munin
Knight
Knight

#4 Post by Munin » Tue May 02, 2017 1:40 am

Welcome, John! What's your poison as far as historical miniatures games go? I'm a Chain of Command player myself, also in 28mm.

Kettenhund
Cottar
Cottar

#5 Post by Kettenhund » Tue May 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Thanks to all those who have welcomed me!

Munin ,

I have many, many Chain of Command Games under my belt! Currently working on a Platoon of Japanese. LOts of painting, squads are huge. Again its the "realism" of the system , like Harn, that appeals to me.

Also a squad on squad game with supports called 5 Men at Kursk by Nordic Weasel games. You can use all the same 28mm stuff, but you don't have to have a full platoon. Rules are similar to CoC too. Allowed me to paint a squad of French, a Squad of Poles, some Ost front partisans a squad of mounted SS cavalry. Makes for some interesting small action fights. Last one was at a collective farm, squad of partisans with sniper in support conducted a spoiling attack against the SS and their half track who were at the farm harassing the civvies (who happen to be supporters of the partisans). Some Sharpe Practice French and Indian Wars and Peninsular skirmishes too. All good fun.

Munin
Knight
Knight

#6 Post by Munin » Wed May 03, 2017 12:58 am

I assume you're active on the TFL forums as well, then? I'm have the same handle (Munin) over there too.

I resisted historical wargames for a long time (just dabbled in 15mm ACW), but Chain of Command is what finally broke me. It's just so damned good!

Kettenhund
Cottar
Cottar

#7 Post by Kettenhund » Thu May 04, 2017 10:15 am

Yes, I have been on the Too Fat Lardies Forum, but not frequently, I lurk a lot and read and mine it for ideas. Chain of Command is my favorite WW2 miniatures gaming system, I just wish I could get my War gaming buddies to try Roleplaying. Unfortunately, its just not their style.

blackhorde
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by blackhorde » Fri May 05, 2017 7:58 am

I know others have had some difficulty getting games going online so I wish you luck in your endeavor.

You're always welcome to poke your head in at Harshlands MUD and get your feet wet. Our new Guest system means you can login without even making a character. Wander around in the Coronan slave pits.
Fred Ellis aka Blackhorde

Visit Harshlands, 'the' online Harn MUD World
http://www.harshlands.net
"I shower in their tears ..."