To all new members still in the red...

This is where new forum members can introduce themselves, tell us a bit about their roleplaying, the style of game they play, and anything else they want to share.

Moderator: Spartan

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

To all new members still in the red...

#1 Post by Gothmog » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Welcome all!

You may have noticed that when you joined our community here that your username stood out like a sore thumb. That's because your part of the "newly registered group". It's a way to keep tabs on the spammers and hackers trying to join the board and cause havok.

The quickest way off that group (besides getting banned and booted) and having your username blend in with the rest of us is to post. Your first post requires approval and gets flagged for the admins and mods, but if your not spamming or trying to get free advertising for some product your good to go. Even if you don't have anything to say or ask if it's a good idea just to post an intro of yourself to the rest of the board... we are all friendly here and make a point of welcoming new members! :D Once that is done and out of the way the admins can move you into the ranks of regular members and you can go about your bussiness without fear of me killing you off because I think your up to no good. :wink: And believe me, business is good... purging spammers is a daily task these days.

So, speak up! Let us know who you are and then feel free to go back to your lurking. Also don't be shy to speak up and ask a question that's been bugging you. You will find that the board has a large wealth of experiance and knowledge to draw on.

Happy gaming!

Gothmog
Ok, let me get this straight. These guys come in, trash the place, slap Agrik & Larani around, and the most intelligible thing they said was "Zog!"?

clayjewel
Cottar
Cottar

Re: To all new members still in the red...

#2 Post by clayjewel » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 pm

An introduction is long past due...I really don't want to be dropped from the forum. Not my intent to just be a lurker, just not enough hours in the day. I started role-playing long ago in high school, with AD&D (1st edition), and have been in an RPG group of some sort ever since. Always a player; I married my GM. Have been gaming in Harn for the past 20 years, covering three long-running campaigns during that time, in Corannon, Golotha, and my favorite Harnic location Minarsis. Attended the HarnCon in Kansas City, and filled the role of Lady Cheselyne. If you were there and took home one of the yellow and black Elendsa mugs from the feast, that was my work. (Really am a potter!) Currently I'm in one face-to-face campaign, in two PBEM stories, and have started contributing to the Harnwriters. It's been a great experience...my thanks to all who have a hand in shaping the Harnworld.

Munin
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by Munin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:34 am

I have one of those mugs! Welcome to HarnForum!

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Leitchy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:43 pm

You are very, very welcome. Andone who married their Harn GM has to be an example to others....I hope!! :)
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Dan Bell
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dan Bell » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:42 am

Munin wrote:I have one of those mugs! Welcome to HarnForum!
I have one of those as well. Nice work clayjewel.
Visit the Nelafayn Hundred Project
http://www.lythia.com/harnpages/nelafayn/

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

#6 Post by zrayaan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:40 am

A belated hallos (and I feel you on lack of hours in the day)
Cheers, Konnel.

Eshâyaél | Green & Pleasant Land

jrpurvis
Beadle
Beadle

#7 Post by jrpurvis » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:29 am

Welcome to your post-lurker life! I know the pain of lack of hours. In the last two months, I've written about 2 pages of non-Harn material, and one paragraph (brief character description) for Harn. Finding time to read this forum is becoming a problem, and I expect any day now that Brent is going to kick me off the Harnwriters team because I can't find time to even read the articles there, let alone contribute. Sometimes real life just sucks.

toadbrother
Cottar
Cottar

#8 Post by toadbrother » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:27 am

I guess an introduction is in order.

I've been roleplaying since the mid-1980s. Started with D&D, and then moved to several Palladium games (it's a crappy system, but the one I'm most familiar with). Along the way I've played 2300 AD and a few different games based on Fudge.

I bought the second edition of HarnWorld way back in 1990 or 1991 in the discount bin at the local hobby store, which was moving out of roleplaying products at the time. I was sufficiently interested that I picked up several other Harn related materials and HarnMaster, but never could quite convince enough of my players to give it a go (they disliked the notion of "low-magic fantasy").

I'm hoping to get a PBeM game going over the next few months.

Ken_Snellings
Knight
Knight

#9 Post by Ken_Snellings » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:13 am

clayjewel wrote:An introduction is long past due...I really don't want to be dropped from the forum. Not my intent to just be a lurker, just not enough hours in the day. I started role-playing long ago in high school, with AD&D (1st edition), and have been in an RPG group of some sort ever since. Always a player; I married my GM. Have been gaming in Harn for the past 20 years, covering three long-running campaigns during that time, in Corannon, Golotha, and my favorite Harnic location Minarsis. Attended the HarnCon in Kansas City, and filled the role of Lady Cheselyne. If you were there and took home one of the yellow and black Elendsa mugs from the feast, that was my work. (Really am a potter!) Currently I'm in one face-to-face campaign, in two PBEM stories, and have started contributing to the Harnwriters. It's been a great experience...my thanks to all who have a hand in shaping the Harnworld.
the mug was a great take away from the con! thanks so much, and good to see you here.
Ken Snellings
CHMP Member
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States of America

Doom_Guide
Cottar
Cottar

#10 Post by Doom_Guide » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Must get out of the RED!

Hello all, long time fan of Harn and longtime D&D player since the late 70's when I learned firsthand why grabbing the pregen characters in the back of Tomb Of Horrors was a bad idea for a brand new player. Somehow, despite getting all 6 characters slaughtered only a short way in I was hooked. Eventually found Harn and fell in absolute love with the detail and the amazing maps. Life changes and such and kind of lost track of these forums but it's great to come back and see many familiar names again.

JiiPee
Cottar
Cottar

#11 Post by JiiPee » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:10 pm

I am new member here. I have been in gaming from 1980s but am quite new to Harn.

Firesong
Cottar
Cottar

#12 Post by Firesong » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Why hello!

I used to exist here, then I ceased to do so. Clearly I don't actually exist, but if I did, I'd likely be someone who had played a number of RPIs, and had started with tapletop games the year that the third edition of D&D was released. If that were true, I might since have at least given every edition of that game a try, as well as testing a smattering of other systems, but... well, it probably isn't. Right?

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by Gothmog » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:40 am

Firesong wrote:Why hello!

I used to exist here, then I ceased to do so. Clearly I don't actually exist, but if I did, I'd likely be someone who had played a number of RPIs, and had started with tapletop games the year that the third edition of D&D was released. If that were true, I might since have at least given every edition of that game a try, as well as testing a smattering of other systems, but... well, it probably isn't. Right?

I acknowledge your existence. Welcome! :D
Ok, let me get this straight. These guys come in, trash the place, slap Agrik & Larani around, and the most intelligible thing they said was "Zog!"?

mattmarsicek
Cottar
Cottar

#14 Post by mattmarsicek » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:13 pm

I'm back in. It's been so long that I forgot my register name, etc., so, I'm now re-registered. Love to lurk to get ideas for campaigns.

Matt
Still playing since 1977

AlHazred
Half Villein
Half Villein

#15 Post by AlHazred » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:07 am

Long time lurker, first time poster. I first got into Hârn with the release in 1990 of the HârnWorld folio product. I still remember being astounded by the quality of the product compared to the price. After immersing myself in Hârn I put it on the shelf and let the ideas percolate (like most gaming products).

Years later, it was my turn to run a campaign with my regular Saturday group. They are not all diehard gamers like myself, so whatever I chose I'd have to port to the Hero System (at the time, in its 5th edition). I dusted off HârnWorld and threw them into a little introductory scenario. They really enjoyed the setting and the campaign lasted for 6 years, divided into three stages.

With the limited information I had, I chose to run a sort of "zombie abocalypse" campaign involving the Earthmasters and horrible necromancers from Yashain, contrasting the low-tech/low-magic native Hârniacs with the high-magic necromancers and their seemingly-endless zombie hordes. I did this on purpose, since I couldn't afford to just drop the money to buy everything Hârn, so by running an apocalypse I could just declare any particular location "devastated" and pass the complexities by. My only regret is that by doing this, I robbed my group of the richness of detail in the plots and schemes of the setting. Hârn is extremely well put-together, with conflicting goals, well though-out factions and motivations, and overall a great package experience for players.

I am pleased to see that Hârn is still going strong, as I retain an undying fondness for the setting.

Yeoman Bowman
Cottar
Cottar

#16 Post by Yeoman Bowman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:56 am

Greetings, I've owned Harndex for a couple decades and have been adding material since,
however I have never played(boo hoo)! I very much like all I've seen. I was formerly a member
here but was purged I hadn't posted and forgot my access, my fault, serves my right to lurk
but not introduce myself! Rude that, anyways my name is Andrew and I look forward to being
more interactive and if anyone is recruiting for PBEMs please let me know.

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by Gothmog » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:22 am

Welcome to the board yeoman!

Shagwell
Reeve
Reeve

#18 Post by Shagwell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:40 am

Can't wait for the next cull of 'red' users - should be a real slaughterfest. Maybe Leitchy should sell popcorn! 8)

By my count, heading towards 300 new 'k<random>' members since the start of October!!
"...blogging is literary pole dancing."
Robin Hobb

Gothmog
Site Admin
Site Admin

#19 Post by Gothmog » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:41 am

Yeah yeah... we're getting to it. :wink:

becubed
Site Admin
Site Admin

#20 Post by becubed » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:19 pm

Shagwell wrote:Can't wait for the next cull of 'red' users - should be a real slaughterfest. Maybe Leitchy should sell popcorn! 8)
By my count, heading towards 300 new 'k<random>' members since the start of October!!
I usually knock off around 50 each day when I log in and there is a spam post visible. Haven't seen any for a while so haven't bothered doing a clean out, there was a bit of a rush around the start of the month though.

Bourbaki
Cottar
Cottar

#21 Post by Bourbaki » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:11 am

Hi all. Another long-time lurker. My last account was deleted in one of the ghost culls, so I better manifest and make a post.

I'm a mathematician, originally from Australia, but currently living in Denmark. I think I first came across Harn on a Chivalry & Sorcery forum where someone was giving an account of his C&S campaign set in Harn. I got interested, checked it out, and got hooked. Roleplaying games are a big hobby of mine but --- as I'm sure many of you understand --- it can be hard to find the time to play regularly (or even at all). While I bide my time, I work on getting my own version of Harn sorted out, as well as plan an epic Call of Cthulhu campaign based around the Masks of Nyarlathotep. Harn & CoC give me my rpg fix these days. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something meaningful to the Harn community at some point!

Shagwell
Reeve
Reeve

#22 Post by Shagwell » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:55 am

Welcome!!

I didn't know Mary was a mathematician! :silly:
Robin Hobb

Bourbaki
Cottar
Cottar

#23 Post by Bourbaki » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Shagwell wrote:Welcome!!

I didn't know Mary was a mathematician! :silly:
Thanks! Although I don't get the Mary reference, unfortunately. :)

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#24 Post by MDMann » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:05 pm

Which area are you in? And welcome
Per Sir Veer.

Shagwell
Reeve
Reeve

#25 Post by Shagwell » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:21 am

Another Aussie, currently living in Denmark...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_Cro ... of_Denmark

Sorry 'bout blowing your cover. :oops:
Robin Hobb