HârnQuest December 2017

A form to discuss the latest Harn products from Columbia Games Inc (http://www.columbiagames.com), including what you'd like to see, how to use their rules system, review, news, and so on. Discussion should be restricted to products from this company only; comparisons to other products belongs in a more general forum.

Moderator: Grant

CGI Public Relations
Woodward
Woodward

HârnQuest December 2017

#1 Post by CGI Public Relations » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:55 am

The December HârnQuest has been printed and shipped to subscribers. As always, HârnQuest subscribers saw substantial savings (~25%), so subscribe now to save on future HQs. Don't forget, HQ subscribers also get 50% off all HârnWorld and HârnMaster PDF purchases at columbiagames.com!

Included in this release:

Kingdom of Rogna (COL #5160, 16 pages)
written by Jonathan Davidson

Rogna is a kingdom in the Elkyri Islands off the west coast of Ivinia, a region known for warring kingdoms, icy fjords, and bold mariners. Raiding and piracy are Rogna's largest sources of wealth. Ships and settlements along Ivinia's western seaboard live in terror of the Rognan "sea-wolves" that strike with impunity in their black-sailed ships, rape and pillage, then return to the foggy Elkyri Islands.

Kingdom of Rogna details the history, culture, politics, government, religion, economics, and military resources of this intriguing island kingdom.

The product is now available on the Columbia Games website (print and PDF) and RPGNow.com (PDF only).
Last edited by CGI Public Relations on Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Columbia Games, Inc.
Visit the updated HârnWorld website!

CGI Public Relations
Woodward
Woodward

Re: HârnQuest December 2017

#2 Post by CGI Public Relations » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:55 am

Sarkum Castle (COL #5680, 12 pages)
written by Edwin King, Richard Porter

Sarkum Castle, isolated and far from the court of the Kingdom of Kanday, has risen from a barbarian fort to the seat of an earldom. Ranald Milaka, once King of Gemala and now Earl of Sarkum, is the father of King Andasin IV; his influence is envied by many of Kanday’s nobles. Sarkum and its lands suffered heavily during Ezar’s War with Rethem and efforts to rebuild have yet to erase the effects of the Agrikans’ brutal handiwork.

The Sarkum Castle article describes the town's history, government, religion, and economics, and provides details for some of the settlement's craftsmen and other locations. Includes full-color GM and player maps and color floor plans for Caer Sarkum, the earl's castle.

This is an updated and expanded version of a classic Hârn article originally published in 1987 as part of Castles of Hârn. In addition to new new color floor plans and artwork, this version has many additional details about the settlement as well as expanded descriptions of the castle rooms and many of the village locations.

The product is now available on the Columbia Games website (print and PDF) and RPGNow.com (PDF only).
Last edited by CGI Public Relations on Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Columbia Games, Inc.

CGI Public Relations
Woodward
Woodward

#3 Post by CGI Public Relations » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:59 am

Atlas Hârnica K1 (COL #5000-K1)
Drawn by Tom Dalgliesh

This Atlas Hârnica map covers part of the mountainous, fjord-riven lands of the Kingdom of Orbaal. The map includes Kereva Island and its numerous smaller neighbors in the Balaka Islands chain off Hârn's northeastern coast. The two keeps on these islands, Thoen and Kjen, pay tribute to the dangerous Clan Sherwyn, which dominates the region from Sherwyn Castle on Gedil Island to the west. Like the rest of Orbaal, the terrain in this area is rough, with scattered villages, towns, and cultivated lands mostly along the coastline. The wild terrain, harsh seas, barbarian tribes, colonies of gargun (Hârnic orcs), and much more offer plenty of opportunities for adventure in Orbaal.

Columbia Games, Inc.

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#4 Post by MDMann » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Got a message saying this had been dispatched. So it could arrive for New Years hopefully. I have no time over Christmas anyway.
Per Sir Veer.

Merdain
Reeve
Reeve

#5 Post by Merdain » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:11 am

So perhaps this was already discussed in some other forum, but I have not found that discussion. So I am curious as to the rationale behind updating Ivinia and developing Rogna as they, Menglana and Shorkyne, I believe, are the only non-Harnic modules produced by Columbia Games. Also both Menglana and Shorkyne were developed a "long time ago" (e.g. when I was still young...). This raises the question as to whether CG is going to continue to devote resources on further expansion in this area. Not that I am complaining! I welcome the update of Ivinia, the development of the Kingdom of Rogna, and any other future Ivinian module (Ibanvaal please!). My point is that there are still areas of Harn, mostly keeps & castles, that have not been covered and a number of kingdom modules (eg. Azadmere, Chybisa, Melderyn, Evael, and possibly Kiraz) that have not been updated as yet. So why the CG expansion to an entirely "new" area (Ivinia)? Is it due to popular demand...as in were all watching VIkings? :D

I am aware that Ibanvaal, the other rival kingdom to Menglana (besides Rogna) was started, but never completed. I assume Rogna was chosen over completing Ibanvaal as it was a much smaller kingdom and hence easier to complete. I have always loved the Menglana kingdom module particularly due to the fact that it is portrayed as being in serious decline and potentially imminent collapse. The new Rogna module does play up the connections that Orbaal has with both Menglana and Rogna. I like the fact that Rogna enhances the story of the Menglana's succession crisis and its imminent invasion by Ibanvaal. Also the Rognan module suggest potential articles on clan rivalries and a couple of cool castles.

Krazma
Baron
Baron

#6 Post by Krazma » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:12 am

Rogna was part of the original Ivinia material, so it’s been brought up to date, as will the other out-of-print products. If you look at the upcoming products thread, you’ll see what else is currently planned.

That’s it. No mystery. Someone wrote it; it got published.

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#7 Post by bbailey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:14 pm

Krazma wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:12 am
Rogna was part of the original Ivinia material, so it’s been brought up to date, as will the other out-of-print products. If you look at the upcoming products thread, you’ll see what else is currently planned.

That’s it. No mystery. Someone wrote it; it got published.
This bit is the key. By and large, the products Columbia Games publishes are the ones that someone wants to write. The team members are not employees who write and produce articles according to some master plan, they are volunteers/freelancers who write things they are interested in.

The Rogna articles (kingdom plus three settlements) were originally drafted a few years ago. However, as the Ivinia region module had gone out of print, Columbia Games decided customers would be better served by updating the region module before releasing new or greatly expanded material that builds on it. As Krazma said, more is on the way, including the Rogna settlements, an updated Menglana, and the various bits of Lokis. That's not to say the focus of HârnQuest and Hârn product development is shifting from Hârn to Ivinia, though. Future HârnQuests will include a mix of material about both.

By the way, the Melderyn kingdom module has indeed been updated and expanded. You can get it from RPGNow and Columbia Games (print and PDF). Chybisa is in the works and Azadmere is being thought about. They aren't on the list Krazma mentioned because their timelines are a bit less solid.

Pirino
Cottar
Cottar

Re: Rogna

#8 Post by Pirino » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 am

I´d like to express my appreciation of the Rogna article.
For me, it was fun to read, covered many interesting facets and uncovered more than one interesting campaign hook.
Congratulations!
There was only one small point of disappointment: I´d have very much preferred the map of the Elkyri Isles (ROGNA 3) to appear in the cartographic style of the Atlas Hârnica maps.
Any chance to see it as Atlas Ivinica map?

bbailey
Knight
Knight

Re: Rogna

#9 Post by bbailey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:33 am

Pirino wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 am
There was only one small point of disappointment: I´d have very much preferred the map of the Elkyri Isles (ROGNA 3) to appear in the cartographic style of the Atlas Hârnica maps.
Any chance to see it as Atlas Ivinica map?
Yes, indeed. We plan to release the Atlas Ivinia squares as the related Rogna settlements are published. Coselin and C5 are planned for the next HQ, with Ilby/D6 and Heling/C6 later this year (tentatively).

BigWeather
Beadle
Beadle

#10 Post by BigWeather » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:58 am

Do you think the expansion of atlas squares into Ivinia will be a Rogna-thing or will it be sort of like Harn, with an eventual goal of (nearly) mapping the whole grid? If the latter, I'll need to add a tab to my document; if the former I'll just list them (like I do for the two existing Ivinia fanon squares).

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#11 Post by bbailey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:36 am

BigWeather wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:58 am
Do you think the expansion of atlas squares into Ivinia will be a Rogna-thing or will it be sort of like Harn, with an eventual goal of (nearly) mapping the whole grid? If the latter, I'll need to add a tab to my document; if the former I'll just list them (like I do for the two existing Ivinia fanon squares).
I see no reason they would be restricted to the Rogna squares.

BigWeather
Beadle
Beadle

#12 Post by BigWeather » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:08 pm

bbailey wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:36 am
BigWeather wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:58 am
I see no reason they would be restricted to the Rogna squares.
Awesome, I've added a sheet to track the Ivinia atlas releases.