HârnQuest July 2017

A form to discuss the latest Harn products from Columbia Games Inc (http://www.columbiagames.com), including what you'd like to see, how to use their rules system, review, news, and so on. Discussion should be restricted to products from this company only; comparisons to other products belongs in a more general forum.

Moderator: Grant

CGI Public Relations
Woodward
Woodward

HârnQuest July 2017

#1 Post by CGI Public Relations » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:38 am

The July HârnQuest has been printed and shipped to subscribers. As always, HârnQuest subscribers saw substantial savings (~25%), so subscribe now to save on future HQs. Don't forget, HQ subscribers also get 50% off all HârnWorld and HârnMaster PDF purchases at columbiagames.com!

Included in this release:

Caleme Abbey (COL #5644, 18 pages). Buy from Columbia Games (print or PDF) or through RPGNow (PDF only).

Caleme Abbey is the seat of the Laranian archbishop of Kaldor and center of the church's temporal and ecclesiastical power in the kingdom. Held by the Order of the Spear of Shattered Sorrow from the king, Caleme’s beautiful temple, supported by massive flying buttresses, is one of the finest examples of temple architecture on Hârn and has influenced builders and bishops alike.

In addition to the temple, the abbey includes the archbishop’s palace, a cloister for resident clergy, an academy for children, and a chapterhouse of the Order of the Lady of Paladins, a military order. Caleme’s priests, scholars, and warriors are dedicated to the cause of Larani and to seeing her shining chivalric vision remain preeminent in Kaldor. Edine Kynn, the Archbishop of Kaldor, is a cagey, energetic churchman who adroitly manages the politics of the kingdom and his church.

The Caleme Abbey article describes the history, government, religion, and economics of the abbey and its village. It provides details of the temple and other abbey buildings along with some of the settlement's craftsmen and other locations. Includes full-color GM and player maps and complete color floor plans for the abbey.

Qualdris Castle (COL #5638, 16 pages). Buy from Columbia Games (print or PDF) or through RPGNow (PDF only).

Qualdris is a prosperous and important settlement in the south of the Kingdom of Kaldor and is the seat of the Earl of Osel. Earl Sedris Meleken comes from one of the oldest and proudest families in the kingdom. He has been away from the castle for almost a year, searching for a murderer. The castle is being governed by his wife in his absence.

The Qualdris Castle article describes the town's history, government, religion, and economics, and provides details for some of the settlement's craftsmen and other locations. Includes full-color GM and player maps and complete color floor plans for Caer Qualdris, the earl's castle.

This is an updated and expanded version of a classic Hârn article originally published in 1987 as part of Castles of Hârn. The article has six additional pages and has been upgraded with new color floor plans that now cover the entire castle, not just part of it. In addition to some new artwork, this version has expanded descriptions of the castle rooms and many of the village locations.

The PDF versions of both products include extra pages at the end with uncut versions of the floor plans.

RPGNow is currently offline, but I will post links when it comes back up.
Columbia Games, Inc.
Visit the updated HârnWorld website!

CGI Public Relations
Woodward
Woodward

Re: HârnQuest July 2017

#2 Post by CGI Public Relations » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:20 am

PDFs can also be purchased through RPGNow:
Columbia Games, Inc.
Visit the updated HârnWorld website!

Pirino
Cottar
Cottar

Re: Uncut floor plans

#3 Post by Pirino » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:45 pm

The PDF versions of both products include extra pages at the end with uncut versions of the floor plans.
Thanks a lot, this is a very good idea. Big benefit for electronic distribution.
With this addition, I can easily use the poster print function of my standard printer at home to produce an impressing floor plan within minutes, exactly when I am going to need it.

I would appreciate if this could grow into a standard feature :-)

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#4 Post by bbailey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:17 pm

Pirino wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:45 pm
Thanks a lot, this is a very good idea. Big benefit for electronic distribution.
With this addition, I can easily use the poster print function of my standard printer at home to produce an impressing floor plan within minutes, exactly when I am going to need it.

I would appreciate if this could grow into a standard feature :-)
They will be, where necessary, but that hasn't often been the case. The biggest two were the Alienage in Cherafir and Pamesani arena in Shiran, both of which were released as separate free PDFs. The only multi-page floor plan I can think of that didn't get an uncut version was Ochrynn Abbey.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#5 Post by Rothesay » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:28 am

Pirino wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:45 pm
They print nicely to 11x17, which I found to be a reasonable $1.10/page at my local Staples. I'm going to use OfficeMax if they're comparable since they have 32 lb. paper where Staples only had 28 lb.
Pirino wrote:I would appreciate if this could grow into a standard feature :-)
Most locations don't have plans that go over letter size printed, but I can definitely see doing it in the future where it's warranted. Something like the Red Domes in Coranan would definitely qualify. 8)

Pirino
Cottar
Cottar

#6 Post by Pirino » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:48 am

Rothesay wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:28 am
Something like the Red Domes in Coranan would definitely qualify. 8)
without a doubt - and I would be enthusiastic about it, as my players are still near Coranan :wink: :wink:
bbailey wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:17 pm
They will be, where necessary, but that hasn't often been the case. The biggest two were the Alienage in Cherafir and Pamesani arena in Shiran, both of which were released as separate free PDFs.
Agreed, I was happy to receive them and I used the Shiran Pamesani arena with great success
The only multi-page floor plan I can think of that didn't get an uncut version was Ochrynn Abbey.
What about Caer Moleryn? It has cut floorplans in my PDF version from 2015 ... although, this maybe wouldn´t be multi-page if uncut

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#7 Post by Rothesay » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:59 am

Pirino wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:48 am
Rothesay wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:28 am
Something like the Red Domes in Coranan would definitely qualify. 8)
without a doubt - and I would be enthusiastic about it, as my players are still near Coranan :wink: :wink:
It's on my list, however, they will need to be there for a very long time indeed ... :wink:
Pirino wrote:What about Caer Moleryn? It has cut floorplans in my PDF version from 2015 ... although, this maybe wouldn´t be multi-page if uncut
Probably not. There isn't that much mapped beyond the keep. Someone would have to have an interest in mapping the rest of the castle for it to be viable.

One of the things that annoyed me back in the day was how a lot of the early products only mapped parts of castles. I could see something like Geshtei where it isn't necessary to map the outer wall, but Moleryn, Qualdris, and the like were just ... incomplete. Newer articles have avoided that and do the whole. But for those older ones that are being put back into print, the original plans are mostly just being updated, a few expanded a bit. Qualdris v3 is an exception, quite probably singular for the foreseeable future. 8)

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: HârnQuest July 2017

#8 Post by Rothesay » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:08 am

I should note that the PDF version of Caleme also has another bonus.

In addition to the uncut maps, there is a section of the third floor in those plans that does not appear in the body of the article. This is mainly the acolytes' quarters, numbered 8. It is divided into four chambers, two for the female acolytes, one junior and one senior, and likewise two for the male. The senior acolytes have the chambers with two fireplaces. They also have similar sanitary facilities as below plus a small area the acolytes can use to relax or study.

The roof of the chapter house also appears only in the uncut maps. 8)