Who has contributed the most?

This is a members' rant area and general lounge, where anyone can post about anything...it doesn't even have to be related to Hârn. Registered members may create polls here. NO FLAMES! Have your say, but be polite, as bad manners will not be tolerated. Threads here could be in poor taste, even downright crude, so read at your own risk. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. Posts pruned after 90days.

Moderator: Spartan

rob
Knight
Knight

Who has contributed the most?

#1 Post by rob » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:55 pm

I have been rereading some of my Harn material, both canon and fanon, and this got me to thinking this: Aside from N. Robin Crossby, who has contributed the most to all Harn material? Tough question but it seems to me that in the past Patrick Nilsson, recently (the last 5-8 years or so) Kerry Mould with Brent Bradley. And almost for the artist of Harn material for life, RIchard Luschek! These just my thoughts, and yours are?

Krazma
Baron
Baron

Re: Who has contributed the most?

#2 Post by Krazma » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:18 pm

If your question is in terms of page count or number of articles, I'd say Kerry has been the most prolific in fanon to date.

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by bbailey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:56 pm

It depends on how you are defining "contributed." In terms of writing canon material, I'd say Edwin King ranks up there with, or surpasses, NRC. He, Richard Porter, and Tom Dalgliesh are the names that pop up most frequently in the writing credits for early material like kingdom modules, Gods of Hârn, Son of Cities, etc.

Although my name (Bailey, not Bradley) shows up a lot on canon and fanon material, my contribution has been largely mechanical (editing and layout), not creative (writing), although there have been some exceptions.

By and large, HârnWorld has been the work of many talented people over the years and it has been, and remains, a team effort.

Sageryne
Knight
Knight

#4 Post by Sageryne » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi Paul,

I would have to give credit to my mentor, Patrick Nilsson (the Dongmaster!). He was the one who kept the torch alight through the dark times. He was the first to do major fanon articles, and he was the one who inspired many (including me) to pick up the torch. Without Patrick, I fear the light of Harn might have gone out.

Once others took up his banner, the amount and quality of fanon really picked up and now we have many talented writers, artists, and mappers (both on the canon and fanon sides of the house) working on Harn.

Besides, Patrick had an ego so big, he has to be ranked number one.

- Kerry
Well, my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle. - Mal, Firefly.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#5 Post by Rothesay » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:03 am

'Most' implies a value judgment I'm not sure is warranted. But the others are right that the answer may differ depending on the timeframe.

Certainly in the early days Edwin King shows up a lot. In the late 90s early aughts, Patrick Nilsson and John Sgammato come to mind. Patrick did indeed keep the flame alive through fanon (and some canon), and John kept CGI in the mix by forming the writing team and doing a lot of it himself.

Kerry has produced a massive amount of material and showcased new ways to think about fanon.

These days, Brent (who is too modest) performs the herding of cats function, keeping the flow of new articles up. That may be mechanical, but it's vital. As he says, these are team efforts, and it's hard to say writer, mapper, artist, editor, and not see the overlap. That's been true a long time of course.

There are some people who only do fanon, and their contributions have been pretty important. They've inspired others to do the same, making the community more vibrant and interesting.

Sageryne
Knight
Knight

#6 Post by Sageryne » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:39 am

As Chris and others have mentioned on Facebook, we can't forget the huge contribution that Peter Leitch has made through his tireless work running Lythia.com and the HarnForum. Without these resources, the hubs of fanon and the Harnic community, there wouldn't be a community of HarnFans.

Well done Peter!
Well, my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle. - Mal, Firefly.

Krazma
Baron
Baron

#7 Post by Krazma » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:02 am

Group hug.

Sageryne
Knight
Knight

#8 Post by Sageryne » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:55 am

Krazma wrote: Group hug.
:D 8O 8) :lol: :P :scared:

:wink:

I love you too Rob!

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#9 Post by Rothesay » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:13 am

Good point about Peter! 8)

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by Leitchy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:59 am

Thanks all.

In the "dark times" as Kerry puts them, there was the Vemionshire Foursome. We started out by writing about that area of Kaldor that was most neglected. The foursome was:

Patrick Nilsson
Anders Bersten
Andy Staples
Andy Gibson

I came along pretty quickly as well, given I was running the Harnlist by then (2000 or so I think) and the collaboration was first raised there, I think. Then John Sgammato got involved. And then Kerry....and the rest, as they say...

So yes, a group hug is absolutely the right thing to do.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm getting really slow these days, though. As MDMann will attest! :|
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#11 Post by Rothesay » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:15 am

I like the Vemionshire Foursome - sounds like a group of rogues. :wink:

At the very least, some of us are well within our rights to think of Harn in a proprietary fashion. Robin's vision has many, many stewards. 8)

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#12 Post by MDMann » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Hey Peter,

I may have 2 articles with you (for a while now), but they're my first, so I can see they might take longer than usual to get on the site. Besides, you're on Australian time (if you actually are Australian or even know). 8O
Per Sir Veer.

rob
Knight
Knight

#13 Post by rob » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:33 pm

Sorry for the mess up Brent. Coffee had not kicked in when this was orginated.
:D

D-Man
Knight
Knight

#14 Post by D-Man » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:04 am

Rothesay wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:15 am
I like the Vemionshire Foursome - sounds like a group of rogues. :wink:

At the very least, some of us are well within our rights to think of Harn in a proprietary fashion. Robin's vision has many, many stewards. 8)
I might go with "The Vemion Four."

Otherwise, they sound like a quartet!