HMG Villein Family Skills

A place to discuss HârnMaster Rules specifically. Remember: game mechanics are a way of resolving questions in play, not explanations of the world itself. (Krazma, 2013)

Moderator: Spartan

BlindGuyNW
Cottar
Cottar

HMG Villein Family Skills

#1 Post by BlindGuyNW » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:01 am

Hi All,

I've begun messing with HMG, and am generating a character by the book. They are a villein, and as far as I can see don't have any family skills to speak of. I was wondering if this was the intention, or if I should be giving them, say, Farmer's skills. It strikes me that they would be disadvantaged quite severely, but I suppose they were very much so in the reality the game is trying to model, so…

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

Re: HMG Villein Family Skills

#2 Post by zrayaan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:06 am

Is the villein tbe reeve, beadle, or some other officer? You could reasonably give them intrigue and maybe rhetoric. I suppose you might also grant the reeve a mathmatics specialty. And tbere are the militia skills-spear and round shield, primarily. Woodwards might have enhanced bow skill. Of course, the listed skills are mainly for family skills during PC generation, unless your players want to roleplay a farmer. I am very generous when it comes to skills, as long as it coule be justified... my world is harsh enough.
Cheers, Konnel.

Eshâyaél | Green & Pleasant Land

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by Derfman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:23 am

If you go 'by the book', the PCs or NPCs developed will almost all have very poor 'adventuring' skills from their family skills.

'Agriculture' has a variety of situations where it could be useful (noticing that subtle things are 'not right' on a fief for example....), but most PCs would rather have 'foraging' or 'survival'.

Some characters luck out, as even the random table will give you a family of hunters or nobles now and then (LOTS of hunters for tribals....)

Its easy enough for a GM add militia duty, or have a character come from a family that was permitted some forest activities (and thus allowing some survival/foraging type skills), or both..... or perhaps the family did some poaching..... if they've never gotten caught that justifies some skills.......

BlindGuyNW
Cottar
Cottar

#4 Post by BlindGuyNW » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:23 am

Thanks for clarifying. :) I know Harnmaster in general isn't required for harn, but I'm at least interested in seeing how it plays relative to other systems. It strongly reminds me of RuneQuest and, perhaps, Burning Wheel, if only in the broad strokes.

Salman
Beadle
Beadle

#5 Post by Salman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Serf backround from more developed and peaceful areas don't give much opitions for family skills. That's why IMC they come from frontier manors. More options towards weapon, wilderness and craft skills when people have to make do on their own. These skills are exactly what developing adventurer needs.

For example backround skills for frontier shepherd:

Bow and Spear (staff) SB+1, Dogcraft, Foraging, Sheepcraft, Survival, Tracking and Weatherlore.

Turin2
Sheriff
Sheriff

#6 Post by Turin2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:07 am

or perhaps the family did some poaching..... if they've never gotten caught that justifies some skills.......
I forget the exact HM take on this, but hunting small game was not considered "poaching" in the Terran middle ages. Hunting the King's deer was another matter. :)