The Gentry! New article.

A general members' announcement area, for fan-developed material, such as fan web sites or new articles, or to buy or sell official Hârn material (please don't mention any prices). Note: Posts will be pruned after twelve months.

Moderator: Spartan

MDMann
Knight
Knight

The Gentry! New article.

#1 Post by MDMann » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi all

Peter has just posted a new article up about the Gentry. Enjoy. And, let me know what you think!
Per Sir Veer.

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

Re: The Gentry! New article.

#2 Post by Targan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:45 pm

Just finished reading it. I really enjoyed it. In the example family description and the plot hooks I got to the end and thought "Who in their right mind is going to give up 170 acres of basically freehold land in return for a knighthood and the non-heritable position of manor baliff", but then I remembered - these people will do almost anything to get back into the nobility. That's an excellent illustration of that desperation.
Last edited by Targan on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by MDMann » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:27 pm

Thanks. :D

High risk, high reward.
Per Sir Veer.

Sageryne
Knight
Knight

#4 Post by Sageryne » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:07 am

Hi Michael,

Excellent new article. I really enjoyed it. I like how you have woven in connections to my Lady of Paladins article. I love the idea of commoners trying to claw their way up the food chain, with their fellow peasants trying to pull them down and the current nobles trying to keep them down. I think the gentry make excellent PCs. With sufficient success, wealth and fame, they could claw their way up the ladder. It also gives the GM nice carrots to dangle in front of the "...just one more mission and you will be knighted..."

Another cool part of this article and the gentry in general are their hangers on and minions. I am inspired by the movie Goodfellas. Robert Deniro's character and Ray Liotta's character couldn't be "made men" because they weren't pure blooded Sicilians. They supported Joe Pesci's character, becuase if he got made, then it was like they were too. The scene in the diner when they find out Pesci's character has been killed is one of my favourites. You could definitely do something like that with the lead PC being gentry with a hope of becoming nobility, and the other PCs being his cottar henchmen with hopes that they can ride his coat tails to becoming a villein or even free farmer.

- Kerry
Well, my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle. - Mal, Firefly.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#5 Post by MDMann » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:20 am

Thanks Kerry, you're a really good author and that's a great article so I'm chuffed. I like to drop carrots and what have you. The choice of manor feeds into that too, as the manor is rich and powerful enough that he's not going to be threatened by the gentry and can afford to aspire to another manor. He's almost a baron.

Yes. There's almost a mixed class adventuring party ready to go there, with a strong rationale for why they're together and adventuring. One of the cottars, probably a herder with a staff sling. A cousin manor guard. A relative or friend yeoman. A lady of paladins meken. And, the gentry to top them off. I could just see them going off to the farmers ball and hijinks ensuing. Perhaps their sister is getting we'd to another gentry family off elsewhere in the shire...
Per Sir Veer.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#6 Post by Rothesay » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:28 am

Nice to see it published at last. 8)

pfstrack
Beadle
Beadle

#7 Post by pfstrack » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:50 am

Very nicely done!

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#8 Post by MDMann » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Phew. Yes, thanks! 8) :lol:
Built on the backs of those who helped. Particularly, reviewers.
Per Sir Veer.

Shagwell
Reeve
Reeve

#9 Post by Shagwell » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:34 am

A handy article - really helps to flesh out that grey area between rich commoner and the lesser nobility!
"...blogging is literary pole dancing."
Robin Hobb

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#10 Post by MDMann » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks. Glad it's of use.
Per Sir Veer.

rdelorme10
Woodward
Woodward

#11 Post by rdelorme10 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:33 am

I am not sure I would agree with the way the Gentry is portrayed in the article. Historically the medieval "gentry" made up the bulk of the "Knights" during wartime. Well maintained armor and swords keep for a long time: one French knight at Agincourt (1415) came to the battle in armor given to his family by Pepin I (751). In 100 years war around 70% of the English Knights in France were from the Gentry class. Thus evidence suggest that the class was well trained in weapons and armor and was employed as knights during wartime: thus consider the gentry the "knight reserve". In wartime they are often loaned ort given weapons and armor to serve in the army; some as knights others as "Captains" of foot.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#12 Post by MDMann » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:04 am

The article isn't really aimed at that. It's more aimedcas a plausible way an adventuring party of mixed classes could form and as a gmail aid with plot hooks and a plausible ethos to adventure. It's also a logical extension of an aspect of society that isn't really detailed and is designed to be internally consistent. Mostly it's meant to be fun and logical and fit the setting.
Per Sir Veer.