Mini Painting

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

Sanric
Woodward
Woodward

#126 Post by Sanric » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:17 am

Hrafnaguð wrote:
Sanric wrote:However, have you considered looking at a shop that sells religious stuff? Small crucifixes or similar things
Well, it's not my project, but I suspect he'd rather not mix and match too much. I bet it would be hard to find something that fit in with a bunch of 25mm wargame miniatures.
Possibly, yes. Maybe you should point him to one of these figures? Not exactly what he's looking for, but very nicely sculpted and true 25mm.

Hrafnaguð wrote:He is The King after all... :roll:
I thought that title was already taken by Elvis?
Chris

Hrafnaguð
Yeoman
Yeoman

#127 Post by Hrafnaguð » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:26 am

Sanric wrote:Maybe you should point him to one of these figures? Not exactly what he's looking for, but very nicely sculpted and true 25mm.
That's a great link. I'll bet he can use these. Thanks.
Sanric wrote:
Hrafnaguð wrote:He is The King after all... :roll:
I thought that title was already taken by Elvis?
Perhaps they are the same man.
Well-being I won and wisdom too.
I grew, and joyed in my growth:
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a deed to another deed.

Algared
Reeve
Reeve

#128 Post by Algared » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:33 am

I would imagine for a crucifix you could get one of the desired size from any supplier of rosery beads and the like.

Think outside the box.

Still, I think your friend skates very close blasphemy.

Hrafnaguð
Yeoman
Yeoman

#129 Post by Hrafnaguð » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:51 am

Algared wrote:I would imagine for a crucifix you could get one of the desired size from any supplier of rosery beads and the like.

Think outside the box.

Still, I think your friend skates very close blasphemy.
Size isn't really the issue; there is no end of crucifixes to be found, just not one that doesn't look over-serious on a board with a bunch of wargame miniatures. If he were happy with a cross, he wouldn't be having this issue, but like I said, not my project.

He'd probably be very disappointed to learn he is only skating close to blasphemy. :twisted:

Sanric
Woodward
Woodward

#130 Post by Sanric » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:03 am

Hrafnaguð wrote:
Sanric wrote:I thought that title was already taken by Elvis?
Perhaps they are the same man.
I'm afraid that's not possible. The Bible says nothing about puffy hair and sideburns, let alone hip shaking...

Algared wrote:Still, I think your friend skates very close blasphemy.
Blasphemy is in the eye of the beholder. 8)

I think the idea of of Hrafnaguð's friend is not so much blasphemical, but somewhat illogical. After all, the crucifixion is a symbol for non-violent self-sacrifice for the greater good... leading an army into battle (that's what a king does in chess) is a totally different thing.

Besides, how are you going to direct your army in battle, if you can't even move your hands?! :silly:
Chris

Algared
Reeve
Reeve

#131 Post by Algared » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:16 am

Sanric wrote:

I think the idea of of Hrafnaguð's friend is not so much blasphemical, but somewhat illogical. After all, the crucifixion is a symbol for non-violent self-sacrifice for the greater good... leading an army into battle (that's what a king does in chess) is a totally different thing.
Oh strange that, I thought the crucifixion was actually a very violent, deliberatly dehumanising event, which is as an act of judgement was the physical respresentation of the anger and wrath of God upon sinful people.

No theology claims it was an act of self-sacrifice that saves or serves the greater good. But rather that God the Son took the punishment deserved for those whom he will mercifully save from Hell, a place where all sinful people rightly and justly deserve to be. And because he is God has unlimited value, thus can save as many as he chooses. A good man could only pay the price for one God can pay the penalty for many.

Maybe it is just semantics and that is what you meant. :)

Sanric
Woodward
Woodward

#132 Post by Sanric » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:38 am

You're right, it's just semantics. No need to get upset. And indeed no need to further pursue this topic. :)

Now for something completely different:

As Elvis has been brought up, and this is a thread about miniatures, here is a small series of Elf miniatures in the style of the King, by a German manufacturer.

I particularly like this guy... :mrgreen:
Chris

Hrafnaguð
Yeoman
Yeoman

#133 Post by Hrafnaguð » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:41 am

Sanric wrote:I think the idea of of Hrafnaguð's friend is not so much blasphemical, but somewhat illogical. After all, the crucifixion is a symbol for non-violent self-sacrifice for the greater good... leading an army into battle (that's what a king does in chess) is a totally different thing.
Blasphemy? Can't see how, though it promises to be an interesting discussion...

Illogical? Quite possibly. Again, worthy of discussion. Christ has been used as a symbol for all sorts of horrible things, not the least of which is justification for war. If you think of it metaphorically, it sort of works.

Poor taste? No question!
Sanric wrote:Besides, how are you going to direct your army in battle, if you can't even move your hands?! :silly:
ROFL, this is the funniest thing I've heard in ages!!

Hrafnaguð
Yeoman
Yeoman

#134 Post by Hrafnaguð » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:43 am

Sanric wrote:I particularly like this guy... :mrgreen:
And with that link, the issue is settled. Who could resist!

Algared
Reeve
Reeve

#135 Post by Algared » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:14 pm

Hrafnaguð wrote:
Blasphemy? Can't see how, though it promises to be an interesting discussion...
Just because Christ's name, or that symbols supposedly representing him have been used in ways that denegrate and lower His worth in the past does not mean that those instances were not Blasphemy nor that misuse or blasphemously representing Him is any less less so.

Whether your friend seeking a Christ figure is blaspheming is another matter, but to argue just because x was dont in the past it is alright to do it now is a nonesense. To take an extreme example, that Satlin murdered millions of Kolacks and Hitler murdered 6 million Jews, or that the Turks murdered millions of Anatalian christians in the 20's, can never make an attrocity justifiable.

I know those examples are extreme and they are merely to show that just because a wrong has been done in the past doesn't mean its alright to do it again.

:)

Hrafnaguð
Yeoman
Yeoman

#136 Post by Hrafnaguð » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:32 pm

Algared wrote:Just because Christ's name, or that symbols supposedly representing him have been used in ways that denegrate and lower His worth in the past does not mean that those instances were not Blasphemy nor that misuse or blasphemously representing Him is any less less so.
If you look carefully, you'll see that I made no parallel between blasphemy and the use of Christ's name or image. All I said about blasphemy was that it would be an interesting discussion. I did say it wasn't totally illogical to see Christ being used to pursue a war. You know, historical precedence and all.
Algared wrote:Whether your friend seeking a Christ figure is blaspheming is another matter, but to argue just because x was dont in the past it is alright to do it now is a nonesense
Funny, I don't recall making this arguement...
Algared wrote:To take an extreme example, that Satlin murdered millions of Kolacks and Hitler murdered 6 million Jews, or that the Turks murdered millions of Anatalian christians in the 20's, can never make an attrocity justifiable.
Is it really necessary to go straight for Hitler? Have I argued in favour of the extermination of millions of people? Jesus, man, take a breath.

Let's put this discussion away, shall we? No sense in tromping on people's beliefs.

Algared
Reeve
Reeve

#137 Post by Algared » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:56 pm

Hrafnaguð wrote: Jesus, man, take a breath.

Let's put this discussion away, shall we? No sense in tromping on people's beliefs.
funny that, call a stop to a discussion on blasphemy with a blasphemy.

I guess that is tromping on peoples beliefs.... even if not the intention.

Ok using Hitler, Stalin and the Turks, or even the Crusades as examples may have been over the top... How about we start with your use of Jesus, that is a blasphemy. you are using His name in a manner that does not give Him the worth he is due. If we do really do not wan't to stomp on people's beliefs then we will not use "Jesus", "God" and "Christ" as expletives or to show frustration because it is Blashemy. And just because people do it doesn't make it any less wrong or any less a blasphemy.

Of course I am sure if we do not want to trample peoples beliefs there are a host of other terms, we likely use that would be offensive to others. But from my Judeo-Christian heritage I am not aware of them however I am aware of those which deal with my Faith.

Hrafnaguð
Yeoman
Yeoman

#138 Post by Hrafnaguð » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:25 pm

Algared wrote:funny that, call a stop to a discussion on blasphemy with a blasphemy.
Ah, thought I could slip one past you. :wink:

I grant you the Final Word; can we let it rest now?

Algared
Reeve
Reeve

#139 Post by Algared » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:46 pm

Hrafnaguð wrote:
Algared wrote:funny that, call a stop to a discussion on blasphemy with a blasphemy.
Ah, thought I could slip one past you. :wink:

I grant you the Final Word; can we let it rest now?
ok and the final word is..... "painting"
:)

Sanric
Woodward
Woodward

#141 Post by Sanric » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:21 am

DongMaster wrote:has anyone found a good miniature that could work well as a Siem dude? I have yet to find any that could mix well with the Hârn stuff. Most of the minis I have had recommended has been too sleezy. Just like me.
You mean a miniature that looks like the Siemian priest in Gods of Hârn/HMR? No. Have you considered using a figure of a Celtic druid? Or maybe an "ordinary" monk (e.g. a Franciscan), painted light blue?

The monks from the Perry Crusaders line don't look sleazy, I think... the one on the far right would make a passable Siemian, what do you think? Of course, you may have to deal with a tonsure somehow (Greenstuff hair?).
Chris

Sanric
Woodward
Woodward

#143 Post by Sanric » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:27 am

DongMaster wrote:Sanric even with your ugly crab like face, and slobbering Zoidberg mouth, you hit the head on the nail.
I'm glad I could provide some help, even if it was just for a sleazy guy with smelly undies.

And don't you mock the slobbering mouth, it's great for drooling all over the beautiful minis I've bought on the last two weekends. :mrgreen:

DongMaster wrote:Look what I found by clicking here (upper left corner) and it is in 25mm as well (since I have other celts from Foundry). Woo-hoo... :D
Fits very well, I think! :D Now phone up your terrain maker and order a Taur-Im-Aina, and you're set!
Chris

Sir Sur
Villein
Villein

pics

#144 Post by Sir Sur » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:03 pm

some pictures
a knight

some monks relating to the latest discussion

and some bad people, the one to the left was actually painted in 30 minutes with sweat pouring from my forehead and my heart pounding in my chest.

cheers

Sir Sur
Villein
Villein

celts

#145 Post by Sir Sur » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:10 pm

Dong are you refering to the Celtic personalities? They look really warlike for Siemian followers? Is it the man called Cartimandua? or did I end upp at the wrong celts?

/R

Sir Sur
Villein
Villein

#147 Post by Sir Sur » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:25 am

The knight is really a spaniard from the time of ElCid!
http://www.crusaderminiatures.com
crusader miniatures makes really good cavalry, both in the elCid range and in the Normans range. The horses are the best to scale I have seen. You will have to get your own shields for the elCid-minis though.
this one is from the same range:

The wich and the goul are actually GW figures! They are metalcasts of the playercharaters from the old eighties game 'Talisman'. And for GW their weapons are very small and much more to scale than todays minis. The only problem remaining is the size of their heads, but it works with the ones that are not too human...

Charles S
Gone to Yashain

Army Painting Guide

#148 Post by Charles S » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:46 am

Steps for Painting a Miniature Army

1) Realize that there is a big difference between painting several individual figures and a single unit. Note; if you paint a unit or two using these directions you should find your speed on individual figures improves dramatically.
At each stage complete the stage for the entire unit before going on to the next stage for part of the unit.

2) Assemble the figures (except for shields which can be added just prior to sealing)

3) Choose a primer color. White makes pretty, sharp colored, parade ground figures. If you like this look OK, but it means extra work. Black makes for dark figures with a grim look. It is also hard to get certain colors to cover the primer when it is black. Use with care. Grey is a good intermediate shade which will work for a lot of armies. Finally specialty colored primers (brown, red, blue etc) can be quite useful if a figure has a major underlying color scheme and the primer can serve as the jacket/uniform color for the unit.

4) Choose a color scheme. You need no more than four or five colors for most units; Flesh, metal, a uniform color, and a detail color or two (brown/black for leather gold/silver for rich jewelry effects, whatever)

5) Prime the figures - If using gray (or black/white) it is not necessary to get 'total' coverage, but with a colored primer you must be careful to get the whole figure (particularly the areas which will not get another coat of paint) completely coated.
Let dry thoroughly
6) Slap the first coats on using the largest brush you can manage. I tend toward 6mm (1/4 Inch). A small brush is a waste of effort at this stage. Don't worry about details they come in later. You should not need more than three (at most 4 if a uniform has trousers a different shade from the tunic/jacket) colors at this stage - Flesh, uniform base, and metal. Any more and the finished figures may start to look busy.
Let dry thoroughly
7 Touch up any major blotches from step 6. It is actually faster to do touchups than be too careful in stage 6.
Let dry thoroughly
8 Wash the entire figure with dark brown or blue/black. Use brown for most figures, blue or black only for those where the base color won't allow a brown to blend in (gray actually looks good with either, but some white and blue/green/purple need a different wash. Mail will look grungy with a brown wash, as if it had been worn in a long march or a battle in the mud). Using multiple wash colors is usually a waste of effort.
Let dry thoroughly
9 If you need to dry-brush an area, now is the time. Choose color which is fairly neutral (yellow or pale gray) and a few slips onto other areas won't be noticed. You should not need more than one (or in extreme cases two) dry brush color (s).
Let dry thoroughly
10 Add a few details. Pick a few details which will show up and pick them out with a strongly contrasting color. Do not add too many details or little color variations; they won't be seen
Let dry thoroughly
11 Look at the entire unit and see if anything jumps out at you. Fix these problems. Make sure the bases look uniform; you CAN flock them, but that is not really necessary.
Let dry thoroughly
12 Paint and attach shields (unless you attached them at the start, but that can cause problems with lack of coverage if the shield falls off in mid-game)
Let dry thoroughly
13 Seal.
Let dry thoroughly

That’s it your unit is done. Even before you get experienced with this system, the entire process should not take more than 15 minutes per 28mm scale figure average. If it does it means you are either spending a lot of time on assembly (can’t help that) or you added too many details/colors. I can manage up to 12 figures (28mm scale) per hour which look good on the battlefield.
As soon as I can manage I'll try to get a pic of a unit of Arcs and One of Norman Medium Infantry I painted using these techniques (and which took about 6 minutes apiece)
Proudly Displaying a Distressed US Flag in absentia

Charles S
Gone to Yashain

Re: Army Painting Guide

#150 Post by Charles S » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:24 am

DongMaster wrote:
I could never paint any less than three shades, or maybe two for boring minis like Garguns, and well I kinda envy those who can.
My point is that by properly choosing which base colors/washes/Drybrush colors you use, such attention to detail is not necessary. Two different base coats with the same wash an dry brush can produce very different looks on the figure. An excellent example is ream and Bright green as base coats whic both receive a Brown wash and a pale yellow dry brush. The two areas look distinct - the green is darker because of the brown creases, but the yellow makes a pale green highlight. The cream base looks like rumpled folded linen (or duty/grimy quiting deoending on the texture of the figurine surface).
Truly Patrick if you want to play with larger forces you need more painted figures. We may have a different philosophy as I don't pick up troops individually to look at them under a manifying glass. I leave them on the table where the figure's eyes are seldom visible even when painted. However, I can field armies which are too large for most gaming tables - and still get compliments on my painting.
Proudly Displaying a Distressed US Flag in absentia