Mini Painting

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

Hotspur
Beadle
Beadle

#101 Post by Hotspur » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:06 am

You could always claim that you were "checking the historical accuracy" or something...
:lol:

You'll notice that I didn't provide measurements on other "vital statistics!"

mib
Woodward
Woodward

#102 Post by mib » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:07 am

Some pictures of the miniatures we are using can be found @ http://bjurshagen.se/harn/.

More to come as soon as i take more photos.

/Michael

Warrior-monk
Woodward
Woodward

#103 Post by Warrior-monk » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:54 pm

Nice job, mib! It looks like you are using washers for bases, am I correct? What are you doing for the terrain details?

Sir Sur
Villein
Villein

bases

#104 Post by Sir Sur » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:39 pm

Hi Monk.
(This is my first post although I have been reading the forum for a long time.)
My Brother MiB posted the pictures and asked me to reply on your question, since I painted them.
The bases are made of 2 materials except 2 types of glue: fine sand and as you suspected washers made of nickel and iron, making them magnetic. They are supposed to stick on a magnetic base in boxes for safekeeping although I have not yet finished the boxes and the magnetic lineing. For some of the bases I have used GW greenstuff and cardboard to get a smooth surface for the sandgrain.

Warrior-monk
Woodward
Woodward

#106 Post by Warrior-monk » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:49 pm

Patrick,
With the exception of the gargun, are these Foundry miniatures? If so, how are you getting the heads of the spears to appear flat and distinct from the shaft? The reason I ask is because with the Foundry miniatures I ordered, I received a package of long poles with sharpened ends, much like pencils that had been sharpened to a point; there is no distinct sculpting that distinguishes the spear head from the shaft. Hope this question makes sense...? :?

Warrior-monk
Woodward
Woodward

#108 Post by Warrior-monk » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:12 pm

Ah, so that's your secret! Thanks, I'll check out Gripping Beast.

Is the blazonry for the guy with the or "fleur-de-lys" on his shield a transfer, or hand painted? If hand painted, how did you get that fine of detail within the charge?

J-MK
Knight
Knight

#111 Post by J-MK » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:59 am

Garg. All these pictures of miniatures and painted miniatures and talks of miniatures and painted miniatures. It makes me want to dig up my brushes from where I stuffed them! And the hobby is so expensive too!
Damn. :D
- I came here for a peer-review.
- OH! This is abuse!

Sir Sur
Villein
Villein

fast painting

#112 Post by Sir Sur » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:42 am

someone said earlier (don´t have time to look who right now, that he or she painted one figure in 15-30 minutes. I´m very impressed. I went home and timed myself. I used a quit easy figure (you may see it later on) and managed to paint it in 30 minutes. BUT that was with my heart pounding and using wet in wet techniques. So now I´m very qurious of how a fifteen-minute-figure looks like. PLZ, fastpainter, would you share with us a photo?

/Robert

Warrior-monk
Woodward
Woodward

#113 Post by Warrior-monk » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:25 am

15 minutes! 8O I don't believe it. I can't put a good base coat on in 15 minutes, let alone do a good face, highlights, shading, etc. My last piece, a pack pony burdened with supplies, has probably taken me somewhere near 8 hours of total labor.

Patrick, I am sort of relieved to know you didn't do that blazonry by hand. It really would have depressed me to think you were that good.... :wink:

Sanric
Woodward
Woodward

#114 Post by Sanric » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:48 pm

@ Warrior-monk and DongMaster: have a look at this. Steel spears with separately cast tips. Might be worth a try.
Chris

Warrior-monk
Woodward
Woodward

#115 Post by Warrior-monk » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:49 pm

Interesting! All different lengths too. Thanks, Chris.

Sir Sur
Villein
Villein

spears

#116 Post by Sir Sur » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:03 am

I did my spears w/ greenstuff and they all got very individual, for better or for WORSE. :oops:

Sir Sur
Villein
Villein

#117 Post by Sir Sur » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:23 pm

Here I found it! Charles S, please, show us your work!
Charles S wrote:(15 -30 minutes for a decent individual figure, no more than 5 minutes per figure on massed army troops)
very qurious :?:

Sir Sur
Villein
Villein

painting

#119 Post by Sir Sur » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:59 pm

well I agree but I wonder how fast you could possibly get, Charles has been painting since late 70th's, so ha probably got a lot of exp. (what level-figure painter are you and what extra feats have you aquired? :D I have "human skin +1" and "detail on shields +3")
I really only wrote this message to see my new shield! :wink:

Hotspur
Beadle
Beadle

#120 Post by Hotspur » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:14 pm

Some nice new shield transfers out...check out
The Miniatures Page

I like how Gripping Beast shows them off better by only painting the shield.

BTW, I figure I average ~1 hour per figure, with minimal highlighting and ink shading, but only because I paint figures en masse.

Tim the Enchanter
Woodward
Woodward

#122 Post by Tim the Enchanter » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:48 am

Bravo Patrick!

I think this is as good as these figures can look. :wink:
"Where death awaits you, with nasty, big, pointy teeth!"

Hrafnaguð
Yeoman
Yeoman

#123 Post by Hrafnaguð » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:12 am

Strange request:

A friend of mine is preparing to make a chess set, Vikings vs. Christians. He'll be using 25mm minis for the pieces, but has run into a snag; being a sick bastard (and thus a very good friend of mine), he wants to use Christ on the cross for the king. Makes sense, I suppose. So has anybody ever seen such a mini, or something which would wouldn't seem out of place on a board full of, say, Foundry miniatures?
Well-being I won and wisdom too.
I grew, and joyed in my growth:
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a deed to another deed.

Sanric
Woodward
Woodward

#124 Post by Sanric » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:45 am

DongMaster wrote:Gnabba, gnabba as the gargun said... You can achieve good results even with average molds such as the CGI garguns you see on this pic. As usual the flash, yes I use it because it has been overcast for a month here, takes away at least one shade level. The faces stuck however.
Ahhh, that's the clearest pic I have seen to date of the Gargun minis... and I must say, all the criticism is well deserved. The faces look like crude ceremonial masks or something... thankfully they're much smaller in real life. That's a good (and very flattering) paintjob, though!

Hrafnaguð wrote:A friend of mine is preparing to make a chess set, Vikings vs. Christians. He'll be using 25mm minis for the pieces, but has run into a snag; being a sick bastard (and thus a very good friend of mine), he wants to use Christ on the cross for the king.
And his opposite number will be Odin hanging from the World Tree, I guess? :wink:

I honestly have never seen a miniature like that, and I do a lot of catalogue browsing... I guess that most miniature manufacturers would want to stay away from such a topic. However, have you considered looking at a shop that sells religious stuff? Small crucifixes or similar things?

Hrafnaguð wrote:(...) he wants to use Christ on the cross for the king. Makes sense, I suppose.
Not really, but that's none of my business. :wink:
Chris

Hrafnaguð
Yeoman
Yeoman

#125 Post by Hrafnaguð » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:03 am

Sanric wrote:I honestly have never seen a miniature like that, and I do a lot of catalogue browsing... I guess that most miniature manufacturers would want to stay away from such a topic.
Yeah, I assume the same. I think he's out of luck, but then you never know what's out there.
Sanric wrote:However, have you considered looking at a shop that sells religious stuff? Small crucifixes or similar things
Well, it's not my project, but I suspect he'd rather not mix and match too much. I bet it would be hard to find something that fit in with a bunch of 25mm wargame miniatures.
Sanric wrote:
Hrafnaguð wrote:(...) he wants to use Christ on the cross for the king. Makes sense, I suppose.
Not really, but that's none of my business. :wink:
He is The King after all... :roll:
Well-being I won and wisdom too.
I grew, and joyed in my growth:
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a deed to another deed.