Healing Rolls - Thoughts on a Houserule...?

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

GarryHamlin
Villein
Villein

Healing Rolls - Thoughts on a Houserule...?

#1 Post by GarryHamlin » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:28 pm

I'm really not very happy with the HM3 approach to healing rolls that an injured PC gets one healing roll per wound PER FIVE DAYS of more or less enforced rest. (I'll explain why, in just a minute.) In some respects, I like the approach of HM Gold better, in allowing one healing roll PER DAY of rest...but HM GOLD produces A LOT more injury points than HM3, which uses a much simpler approach to injuries which also feels a lot smoother to me in actual play.

My problem is that I have a band of PCs on the run after a particularly debilitating fight, and I admittedly want to have my cake and eat it too. Telling the players that they gain no opportunity for a healing roll AT ALL because, while they rested (let's say) for four days but had to relocate one day in the middle of that period to prevent capture seems unreasonable enough to me to spoil the feel of the story. (I.e., what's so magical about a five-day period that you need to stay rested for all five days or gain NO opportunity for improved health?)

On the other hand, if I use the HM Gold practice of having PCs make a healing roll per day - but based on injuries as adjudicated by HM3 - I'll have PCs recovering at an essentially superhuman rate - better, of course, than the standard mechanism used by some systems where you take a "short rest" or drink a healing potion and all those injuries suddenly go away (as if by "magic," etc.).

Math is not my strong suit, so maybe there are solutions to this problem that are escaping me while they are obvious to you. But essentially what I'm asking is whether any of you have developed houserules that allow players to make daily healing rolls based on daily opportunities for rest (vs. rolling once every five days, but only if all of those days were spent resting) - without unintentionally gifting the PCs with immune systems capable of healing serious injuries in just a day or two?

Any thoughts?

Krazma
Constable
Constable

Re: Healing Rolls - Thoughts on a Houserule...?

#2 Post by Krazma » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:57 am

One thing that most people overlook is that the rules don't stipulate that the healing roll has to occur at the end of the 5 days, just that the interval is five days. Works much like resisting poisons, in that respect.

I allow "first aid" to function as an immediate healing roll, and have never encountered any problems with doing so.

Also, interruptions don't necessarily void the benefits of the entire five days. They might (if severe enough - that's what's meant by "unreasonable physical exertion"), but they more likely just extend it by some measure of time (perhaps a day). In the example you gave, for instance, I'd just say that they don't get their next healing roll until day 6, instead of day 5.

So, what's "unreasonable physical exertion?" That depends on the nature of the injury. If I have an injured arm, walking is not "unreasonable physical exertion," but chopping wood is certainly going to inhibit my healing. Using a cane/crutch to move around when you have a broken leg is not preventing you from healing, but dancing on it is right out. Just apply some GM discretion and move on.

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#3 Post by Krazma » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:30 am

On the topic of healing mechanics, though, here's an optional HM3 approach:

Each day, a character rolls for each injury against a multiple of END equal to the number of days since the last healing roll. If they succeed, they get to make a healing roll as usual. If they fail, they have to try again the next day, at the higher multiple. For an average character, this should generally result in a healing roll every 5th day, but could potentially be faster or slower. Also, magic, drugs, or rituals that improve END would tend to speed up healing, as might be expected.

GarryHamlin
Villein
Villein

#4 Post by GarryHamlin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:05 am

One thing that most people overlook is that the rules don't stipulate that the healing roll has to occur at the end of the 5 days, just that the interval is five days. Works much like resisting poisons, in that respect I allow "first aid" to function as an immediate healing roll, and have never encountered any problems with doing so. Also, interruptions don't necessarily void the benefits of the entire five days. They might (if severe enough - that's what's meant by "unreasonable physical exertion"), but they more likely just extend it by some measure of time (perhaps a day). In the example you gave, for instance, I'd just say that they don't get their next healing roll until day 6, instead of day 5.So, what's "unreasonable physical exertion?" That depends on the nature of the injury. If I have an injured arm, walking is not "unreasonable physical exertion," but chopping wood is certainly going to inhibit my healing. Using a cane/crutch to move around when you have a broken leg is not preventing you from healing, but dancing on it is right out. Just apply some GM discretion and move on.
Very helpful. Thanks!

blackhorde
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by blackhorde » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:37 am

Krazma wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:30 am
Each day, a character rolls for each injury against a multiple of END equal to the number of days since the last healing roll.
Nice. I like that.
Fred Ellis aka Blackhorde

Visit Harshlands, 'the' online Harn MUD World
http://www.harshlands.net
"I shower in their tears ..."