Question about HarnMagic and HarnReligion

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

Vonmolkew
Cottar
Cottar

Question about HarnMagic and HarnReligion

#1 Post by Vonmolkew » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Have a question regarding these two volumes: the descriptions of each talk about information to generate characters, expanded spellcasting rules, etc., all for use with HarnMaster. Is there enough "fluff" in these for me invest in them if I plan on using another RPG system to play within the world?

If they are pretty "rules heavy", are there other resources that discuss the various religious orders and Shek-Pvar?
That is not dead which can eternal lie, but with strange eons even death may die -- HPL

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Question about HarnMagic and HarnReligion

#2 Post by Rothesay » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Not sure what 'fluff' means here but there are a number of spells added to the system here both canon and fanon.

Most, as I see them, are Shek-Pvar, though there is also the HM religion fanon.

The canon Fyvrian spells adds some, and there are some in Astaroc's Townhouse. Others have multiple spells. Lythia.com is a source.

Eder
Reeve
Reeve

#3 Post by Eder » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Harnmaster Religion is mostly a combination of a) mechanical material (not terribly solid in my opinion) and b)" information about the main 10 gods of the Harnic Pantheon, their cults, affiliated fighting orders etc. - about 4-6 pages of this "fluff" for each god. You can find the same fluff (and a little more) in the older "Gods of Harn" CG5103 publication. Worth the cost if you are using another rpg? Possbibly, though the price/info ratio is rather steep.

Harnmaster Magic is mostly about mechanics. There's very, very little fluff beyond that (I'd eyeball it at about 2-4 pages total, which could be handily summarized in less than 1 page); and part of it contradicts fluff from other canon sources (though a lot of folks would have you believe otherwise, Harn setting material is not consistent and tends to contradict itself -- in particular, newer material tends to contradict older material). So, if you are using another rpg system with the HarnWorld setting, Harnmaster Magic is definitely not worth it. The counterpart to Harnmaster magic produced not by CGI but by Kelestia, "Harnmaster Gold: the Shek Pvar" contains more fluff, including 10 pages with profiles for important mages of the past -- from Genin to Kemdal to Lothrim. It's still not worth the price for the fluff alone, in my opinion.

Munin
Knight
Knight

#4 Post by Munin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:21 am

I don't have HarnMaster Magic and can't really speak to it, but HarnMaster Religion is a solid publication full of all sorts of fluff about the various religions. Each faith gets a single page of invocations ("spells"), and while these are presented in terms of HM rules, they are described conceptually in ways that make them easy to convert to other systems. Example:

Sardura's Vision (Halea lv II)
Time: 15-RSI seconds
Ritual: Silent Prayer
Range: Touch
Duration: 10 (Marginal Success) 30 (Critical Success) mins
Enables the recipient to know whether or not a person is lying. It does not indicate what the truth is, but a Critical Success indicates the magnitude of the lie.

So this is essentially a Harnic version of "Detect Truth," a spell which is common to many other game systems. You could substitute whatever mechanics you're using in place of those that use the HarnMaster system. Most of the Harnic invocations will have an analog in other medieval fantasy RPG systems. But some of them are more unique and kind of hilarious, like:

Bronduschithrin's Lie (Save K'nor lv III)
Time: 15-RSI seconds
Ritual: Chant
Range: N/A
Duration: Indefinite
Protects one specific piece of information by making it seem an obvious lie to whoever hears it.

Peter the skald
Grand Master Silly Bugger
Grand Master Silly Bugger

#5 Post by Peter the skald » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:53 am

Yep, you could avoid them if using another system.

As a caveat the concept of the pantheon or more accurately multitheism is heavily embedded in Canon; what with all the temples an all..... A glance at any city map tells you what various buildings are according to shape due to peculiarities of religion...

The concept of pvarism is also embedded but less obviously so.... A school for fire wizards as described could fit many magic systems.
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

pfstrack
Beadle
Beadle

#6 Post by pfstrack » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:33 am

I'd estimate that 50% of the page count in Harnmaster Religion is generic content that has nothing to do with Harnmaster. The 18 page Religion article is mostly Harnmaster rules, but the 66 pages of articles on the individual gods is mostly generic, with just a page or two of Harnmaster rules in each article. You would be buying about 44 pages of generic content.

Harnmaster Magic is almost all HM rules, though.

Vonmolkew
Cottar
Cottar

#7 Post by Vonmolkew » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks, folks. Trying to decide whether to buy stuff when you're not exactly sure what it entails is difficult.. Glad I have you all to fall back on....

I'm thinking I'm going to use Swords and Wizardry for the campaign I'm planning. Basically AD&D from the olden days. It will take a bit of converting and some house rules, but shouldn't be too difficult. The less "crunch" there is, the easier it will fit together. Also looking at the 5e stuff....been following some of that in Alternate Realities.

This is a great forum! :D
That is not dead which can eternal lie, but with strange eons even death may die -- HPL

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#8 Post by bbailey » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:24 pm

Vonmolkew wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:26 am
Trying to decide whether to buy stuff when you're not exactly sure what it entails is difficult.. Glad I have you all to fall back on....
Note that Columbia Games has a 30-day guarantee on its products. If you are not satisfied, you can return any purchase for a refund.