Best way to use binders with modules?

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

Lord Dynel
Villein
Villein

Re: Best way to use binders with modules?

#26 Post by Lord Dynel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:13 pm

bbailey wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:11 pm
GeorgeFields wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:03 pm
Is there a list of products sold as binders somewhere?
I believe it's just kingdom modules (Kaldor, Kanday, Tharda, Orbaal, Rethem, Melderyn), HârnWorld, Hârndex, and now Ivinia. Everything else is home-punched for you to put in binders of your own.
Unless, of course, you bug the CGI folks to sell you whole binder! :D
Krazma wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:36 am

I have the following binders:
  • HârnMaster 3
  • Bestiary
  • Adventures
  • Cities
  • Lore
  • Religion
  • Tashal (my campaign is set in Kaldor, so I split this off from the other cities)
  • Guilds & Crafts
  • Barbarians
  • Magic
  • HârnManor
  • Atlas Hârnica (I used to split the maps up by kingdom, but I find it works best to keep them together)
  • Lythia
  • Ivinia
  • Wilderness
  • Castles of Kaldor (split out from the Kingdom binder purely because of volume)
  • Kingdom of Kaldor
  • Kingdom of Rethem
  • Kingdom of Kanday
  • Kingdom of Melderyn
  • Thardic Republic
  • Kingdom of Azadmere
  • Kingdom of Evael
  • Kingdom of Orbaal
  • Kingdom of Chybisa
If I am going to be using a particular set of articles heavily for a short while, I will usually transfer those to a small binder for quicker access.

I put everything in sheet protectors.
This looks pretty good, Krazma, and this is how I kind of see doing it. I bolded a couple of things in your post that I wanted to comment on. At first, I wasn't going to use sheet protectors but I've since changed my mind on them. They do take up more room, but I think in the end protecting the pages from accidental tears and keeping them safe from environmental factors is a big plus.

I also like the idea splitting Kaldor into two binders - it certainly makes it easier to handle. But since I don't have everything, yet, I have to ask - is Kaldor the only one that's so bulky? I've got all of Orbaal, but I haven't sleeved and put it in a binder yet, but it seems pretty hefty also. Do all the other kingdoms fit into one binder, and if so, what size binder do you have them in? Kaldor is pretty huge, especially with sleeves. Kaldor doesn't have the most supplements, but I do think they win on page count. But, again, I do like the idea - I think I might put Kaldor and Tashal (and Oselbridge and Trobridge, too) in one binder and everything else in another ("Kaldor 2"). That puts them both around 90 sheets, or so.

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#27 Post by Krazma » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:37 am

Lord Dynel wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:13 pm
I also like the idea splitting Kaldor into two binders - it certainly makes it easier to handle. But since I don't have everything, yet, I have to ask - is Kaldor the only one that's so bulky? I've got all of Orbaal, but I haven't sleeved and put it in a binder yet, but it seems pretty hefty also. Do all the other kingdoms fit into one binder, and if so, what size binder do you have them in? Kaldor is pretty huge, especially with sleeves. Kaldor doesn't have the most supplements, but I do think they win on page count. But, again, I do like the idea - I think I might put Kaldor and Tashal (and Oselbridge and Trobridge, too) in one binder and everything else in another ("Kaldor 2"). That puts them both around 90 sheets, or so.
That's certainly one option. I've got Tashal and all the fanon expansions for Tashal together, which is enough to fill one standard-size binder. I put the various castles and keeps together in a binder, but I have stuff like Trobridge and Oselbridge classified as "Wilderness," FWIW.

My Orbaal binder is getting a bit thick with all the recent stuff, so I may have to consider splitting out something. Maybe I'll use a thin binder and put the "Jara" articles (Leriel, Gwaeryn, Pethwys) in that.

Beyond that, my other kingdom binders have room to grow.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#28 Post by Rothesay » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:56 am

My Kaldor is in four binders. Tashal, Kingdom/Clans/Major settlements A-G, Major settlements H et seq, and Manors. Lots of material there. :D

estar
Woodward
Woodward

#29 Post by estar » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:14 am

bbailey wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:21 am
Sure, here is the template in InDesign format.
Much obliged and thanks.

Baphomet69
Cottar
Cottar

#30 Post by Baphomet69 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:30 pm

bbailey wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:22 am
Here are the binder cover and spine inserts that I did. I made these a while ago and didn't finish making covers for all the spines. I'll get to that some day.

Like your sock drawer or closet, organizing your Hârn material is a highly personal matter. And no matter how you organize things now, chances are you'll change your mind and redo it later. My advice is to not get too hung up about it. Have fun!

PS: Lord Dynel, I wish you had introduced identified yourself by your forum name at GenCon. I talked to a lot of people and have no idea which ones are forum folk. Maybe next year (if I even go next year).
My Gods, I love you for this!

Baphomet69
Cottar
Cottar

#31 Post by Baphomet69 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Brian_Smaller wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:56 am
I am also a big fan of sheet protectors. Also allows assembling a game specific set of data.
My only issue with sheet protectors is that most of my 1" binders are already mostly full, I'll have to move everything to 2" binders... 8O

Baphomet69
Cottar
Cottar

#32 Post by Baphomet69 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:38 pm

bbailey wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:24 am
pebran wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:34 pm
bbailey wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:49 am
I'll try to do the other covers soon.
Would that by any chance be HarnDex, HarnManor and Ivinia?

And a big Thank You! for the work you have already done :D

/Peter
No, I didn't include covers for those products because they either came in a binder (Ivinia and Hârndex) or with a cover you can cut up and slip into a binder (HârnManor). Likewise, I also didn't include covers for the kingdom modules, HârnMaster, Religion, Magic, and Barbarians because they fit into one of the categories above.

Not that it matters, but I personally don't have a binder for HârnManor. The four manors are filed in their respective kingdom binder and the Manor rules are in the Lore binder.

The file linked to above now has covers for binders that don't have a corresponding product from CGI: Lythia, Wilderness Locations, Guilds & Crafts, Hârnic Lore, Atlas Hârnica, Thonahexus, Adventures, and NPCs. I left the Bestiary cover in there because I had that one done before CGI put out their Bestiary product.
As devils advocate, I used the card stock front and back covers for things like Religion, Magic, etc., and even used the spines, but as each folder grows (and moves to a thicker size), the spines are looking pathetic. I'd love for someone with more artistic talent than I to make new, thicker spines for binders like these.

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#33 Post by bbailey » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:43 pm

The file already has wide spines for Religion and Magic for just that reason

Peter the skald
Grand Master Silly Bugger

#34 Post by Peter the skald » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:18 pm

I cannot believe this got to a second post let alone a second page 😂
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#35 Post by Targan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Peter the skald wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:18 pm
The ties that binder.
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli

pebran
Villein
Villein

#36 Post by pebran » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:04 pm

bbailey wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:34 am
Better than that, I can give you the tools to do your own spines for however you want to name your binders.
Once again thank you for the Word-version of the spines. Could you possibly provide a Word-version of covers as well? (The kind you have in the PDF-version)

Regards,
Peter

Lord Dynel
Villein
Villein

#37 Post by Lord Dynel » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:19 am

Peter the skald wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:18 pm
Why is that, sir? I had a question and asked for opinions, and I'm appreciative of the input that was received (especially since my question got some cool spine covers and spines posted that seemed helpful to a few...thanks again, Brent!). But I apologize if my post/question was a disappointment to you. I got the impression questions were welcome. I hope that I'm not wrong. :wink:

Peter the skald

#38 Post by Peter the skald » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:26 am

Why sire, apologies if my disbelief was construed as a disappointment! It was merely an expression of joy as in 'I cannot believe it is not butter' or 'I cannot believe that Serenity finally got made!'

For far too long I harboured the suspicion that the denizens on this forum were too louche, easy going, and glitzy to answer a such a micro specific, nay nerdy request in detail. No longer! My faith in anodyne plodding is restored! Long live the forum!
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

Munin
Knight
Knight

#39 Post by Munin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:07 am

You'll have to pardon Peter; his sense of humor takes some getting used to. He is a silly bugger, after all.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#40 Post by Rothesay » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:00 am

Munin wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:07 am
He is a silly bugger, after all.
Indeed, the very Grand Master of the order ... :lol:

Lord Dynel
Villein
Villein

#41 Post by Lord Dynel » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:29 am

Peter the skald wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:26 am
Why sire, apologies if my disbelief was construed as a disappointment! It was merely an expression of joy as in 'I cannot believe it is not butter' or 'I cannot believe that Serenity finally got made!'

For far too long I harboured the suspicion that the denizens on this forum were too louche, easy going, and glitzy to answer a such a micro specific, nay nerdy request in detail. No longer! My faith in anodyne plodding is restored! Long live the forum!
Whew! I'm so relieved! It is I that should apologize for misconstruing your delight as disappointment.

Imagine my surprise when I checked this thread and found that you were joyful at the perseverance of this thread. Long live the forum, indeed!

Now...on to page 3!! :D

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#42 Post by Krazma » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:13 am

Peter the skald wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:26 am
For far too long I harboured the suspicion that the denizens on this forum were too louche, easy going, and glitzy to answer a such a micro specific, nay nerdy request in detail.
Half right is not all wrong, after all...