barbarian rites of manhood and more

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

MThurston
Beadle
Beadle

barbarian rites of manhood and more

#1 Post by MThurston » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:42 am

I'm having little success looking for articles about barbarians or their passage to manhood in the tribes. Any help would be great. Thanks, Marcus

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: barbarian rites of manhood and more

#2 Post by Leitchy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:46 am

I started out by relating those I recall reading in the past by my memory is so unreliable I thought I'd be better to provide a general overview.
:mrgreen:

Rites of passage often involve the traditional way of life of the tribe and a some kind of mystical element as well.

Tribes that rely on horses will require their youths to find, capture and break a horse. The wilder the horse, the more honour they garner.

Fishing tribes might require them to build a boat, or catch a special fish with equipment they made themselves (nets, spears, lines and hooks, etc.)

Pastoral tribes often invoke the hunt as their test of manhood.

There could be trials of strength or endurance or pain tolerance. There could be vision quests involving psychotropic compounds. There could be feats of tracking, or hunting, counting coup, or dispatch of a hated enemy.

Girls usually have different tests because...you know...girls! :) Their test may involve domestic duties; making cloth or leather, weaving, gathering and cooking, preparing kills, etc.

Mystical elements could involve pilgrimages to places of special significance and/or prayer or communion with the supernatural. It could involve ritual scarring, mutilation, or tattoos. It could involve listening to elders tell stories that relay duties of the new adults, or simple rituals undertaken by the tribal holy person.

There is usually dancing and feasting involved in all these rituals, often as a final celebration and culmination of the whole ceremony.

Now I'm pretty certain that the Harnic barbarian tribes use some or many of these. For example, I'm convinced I've read that the Chelni require a boy to locate, track, capture and tame a horse as their passage to manhood. That horse becomes their four-legged brother.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#3 Post by Krazma » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:14 pm

MThurston wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:42 am
I'm having little success looking for articles about barbarians or their passage to manhood in the tribes. Any help would be great. Thanks, Marcus
If you mean canon articles, there's not a lot written on the subject. Any particular tribes you are interested in?

Kubora 12 details the Dynoldeb ritual.

MThurston
Beadle
Beadle

#4 Post by MThurston » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:42 pm

Kath, but I do own the barbarian book.

gunnulf
Woodward
Woodward

#5 Post by gunnulf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:38 am

I always like to take from reality a bit if possible. Often reality is more incredible and harsh than I would think up on my own. I don't recall which tribe does this in particular, but they basically allow Army ants to crawl all over the boy, biting, stinging, which he has to endure. Finally, the men immerse the boy in the river, symbolically killing the boy, a man rises from the waters.

The African tribes that show off how tough they are each year by exchanging blows with sticks on bared flesh in ritualized fighting.

If you are really willing to keep your gorge from rising, a number of tribes do not circumcise males until they are considered coming of age to be a man. A man puts the boy in a full nelson like hold, and uses his legs to hold the boy open to the ritual. No drugs, no booze, just sit there while we get rid of that boyish foreskin and make you a warrior.

One of my players came to the game with a cool concept for the Reksyna. Envisioned as master horsemen in the tradition of Mongolians. The youth is given a pair of boots that has a pattrern of fine thread embroidered on the sole of the boots. The youth is sent out for 3 days and nights, to live from horseback, hunt from horseback, sleep in the saddle and return with threads intact, showing he was clever enough to not need to set his feet n the ground and soil or break the delicate threads.

Pretty cool stuff. I'll take ants over circumcision at 12 any day.