Help re updating from 1980s era Harn module

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

Moncreiffe61
Cottar
Cottar

Help re updating from 1980s era Harn module

#1 Post by Moncreiffe61 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:23 am

Hi all--

Back in the long-ago, deep in the dim mists of time, when the world was young and I had a lot more hair, I purchased pretty much the entire run of Harn modules. I am now returning to Harn, and want to update those modules that have seen significant revision. Given the expense involved, I would prefer not to purchase materials that I already possess, if they have not seen significant revision or additions.

Some of the modules very helpfully indicate whether the product is simply a repackaging of old material, or has been revised and expanded. But a lot do not. So I am writing here in the hope that the good folks who haunt these forums may be able to assist.

I am interested in particular in the three major polities of western Harn: Kanday, Tharda, and Rethem. From the descriptions, at least to the extent I can figure it out, none of the major kingdom modules has changed since the original 1980s first editions. So at least for now, I should not lay out the $120 to replace all three. Is that correct?

Golotha, Coranan, and Shiran have all apparently been substantially revised. The description for Aleath is ambiguous, but I infer it is still the same as the older material I currently have. So I should plan on purchasing the first three cities, but there is no need to purchase Aleath. Is that also correct?

Many thanks in advance for whatever useful advice you can throw my way.

Best wishes,
Monc

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Help re updating from 1980s era Harn module

#2 Post by Rothesay » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:56 am

Rethem and Kanday have been substantially revised and increased. The Thardic Republic has not. There is some additional TR heraldry, but that's about it.

Golotha, Coranan, and Shiran have been significantly increased. There is also a fanon addition to Coranan on Lythia.com which complements the second version. Aleath is largely just a reprint.

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by bbailey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:16 am

Rothesay wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:56 am
Aleath is largely just a reprint.
I wouldn't say that. Between Cities of Hârn and Son of Cities, Aleath had 12 pages. The current article has 22. There is a lot of additional material in there now.

One note, Monc. While you are moving into the new era, consider changing to PDFs instead of print. If you subscribe to Columbia Games' HârnQuest program, not only do you get 32 pages of new material 4-5 times a year, but you also get 50% off all PDFs while you're a subscriber. That'll make updating your library a lot cheaper. At 50% off, you can get three realms and four cities you mention for around $85.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#4 Post by Rothesay » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:19 am

bbailey wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:16 am
I wouldn't say that. Between Cities of Hârn and Son of Cities, Aleath had 12 pages. The current article has 22. There is a lot of additional material in there now.
I stand corrected. I had understood it to be just rearranged. Haven't been to Aleath in quite some time. :wink:

Moncreiffe61
Cottar
Cottar

#5 Post by Moncreiffe61 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:20 am

My thanks to all who responded. I much appreciate your guidance.

A few brief follow-ups, for those inclined to indulge me further:

There is mention (in the "related products" section of several of the Kanday modules) of a description for Sarkum (#5680). Was that ever published?

Also--has the Cybisa kingdom module been updated as well, or is it still the first edition text (which I already own)?

Many thanks in advance for your patience.

Best wishes,
Monc

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#6 Post by Rothesay » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:28 am

Moncreiffe61 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:20 am
There is mention (in the "related products" section of several of the Kanday modules) of a description for Sarkum (#5680). Was that ever published?
Yes, but I believe it's out of print and in the process of being redone.
Moncreiffe61 wrote:Also--has the Cybisa kingdom module been updated as well, or is it still the first edition text (which I already own)?
A revised version is in progress, but it probably won't be released this year.

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#7 Post by bbailey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:32 am

Yes, expansions/revisions to both are underway. Sarkum will be ready first but I need to find the right slot for it in a HârnQuest. Chybisa will take more time, as it is a big expansion along the lines of those done for Melderyn, Orbaal, et al.