Demigods of Smiths & Masons: an Opportunity to Expand the Laranian Mythos?

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

9ofSwords
Woodward
Woodward

Demigods of Smiths & Masons: an Opportunity to Expand the Laranian Mythos?

#1 Post by 9ofSwords » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:58 am

Who made Avarkiel and Hyvrik? Who designed and built Dolithor? I don't picture Larani having done these things herself. These smith and mason demigods may still be in her employ. Given that fine weapons, armor, and fortifications are a noble prerogative, I would expect that the church would dedicate some effort to bringing weaponcrafters and masons into its fold. Even if no such demigods are in Larani's service, there are quite possibly saints associated with them.

If you take Peoni to represent most crafts, not just agricultural professions, then we could well imagine that Dolithor was built thanks to the labor of a dutiful mason demigod associated with her. But, while it is easy to imagine common metalsmiths being devoted to Peoni, she doesn't seem like a natural fit for weaponcrafters.

Most certainly, Larani could have contracted some Khuzan demigods to forge and build for her. To me, it seems the Khuzdul are in desperate need of their own more fittingly dwarven demigods and heroes to rally their spirits and resolve . . . more than the ever-weepy Sereniel. In my p-Harn I am expanding the court of Siem to include a few Khuzan entities and a number of now mostly defunct Jarin demigods (. . . just waiting to be awoken). It would be easy to imagine that stories of the Khuzan demigods were still circulating when the first Laranian missionaries were working their way across Harn. I just don't know if there is enough exposure to the Khuzdul on Lythia to account for them appearing in stories central to the church there.

Krazma
Constable
Constable

Re: Demigods of Smiths & Masons: an Opportunity to Expand the Laranian Mythos?

#2 Post by Krazma » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:19 am

You might find the descriptions of the pre-Hârnic Jarin pantheon helpful. What you describe reminds me a bit of Gobannon/Nailogh.

http://www.lythia.com/hrt/other_gods/ol ... _gods.html

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#3 Post by Targan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:01 pm

9ofSwords wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:58 am
Most certainly, Larani could have contracted some Khuzan demigods to forge and build for her. To me, it seems the Khuzdul are in desperate need of their own more fittingly dwarven demigods and heroes to rally their spirits and resolve . . . more than the ever-weepy Sereniel. In my p-Harn I am expanding the court of Siem to include a few Khuzan entities and a number of now mostly defunct Jarin demigods (. . . just waiting to be awoken). It would be easy to imagine that stories of the Khuzan demigods were still circulating when the first Laranian missionaries were working their way across Harn. I just don't know if there is enough exposure to the Khuzdul on Lythia to account for them appearing in stories central to the church there.
So... Aule and his associated Maiar?
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli

Lord Dynel
Villein
Villein

#4 Post by Lord Dynel » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:43 am

Targan wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:01 pm
So... Aule and his associated Maiar?
There are many, many more knowledgeable folks around here than I, but I seem to recall there being vague connections to Middle-Earth in some spots in lore. This may have originated from NRC's home game, though. I seem to recall being talk about that once. Forgive me, all, if I'm wrong on these points! :)