NPC Origins & Clans

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

Peleliu
Cottar
Cottar

NPC Origins & Clans

#1 Post by Peleliu » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:09 am

I have been wondering for a long time how to read NPC descriptions with regard to their listed names. For example, on Olokand Castle 5 the weaponcrafter is Nibinel of Falen. Is Falen his place of origin or clan? If his place of origin, how do I go about finding out where that is? I hope that the 'of" are clan designations because if these are indeed origins it seems really strange that everyone is from somewhere else and not from the listed town or manor.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: NPC Origins & Clans

#2 Post by Rothesay » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:32 am

Most of the time it will be clan. Only rarely will it be a place name.

Sometimes those clans are extended, and the name will show up in several publications. This is often intentional even when it's not explicitly noted. However, most of the time, the names are made up. It is actually pretty hard to come up with dozens of different names for an article. 8)

Peleliu
Cottar
Cottar

#3 Post by Peleliu » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:35 am

Thanks for the input. Odd how noble names seem to drop the 'of' while everyone else uses it.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#4 Post by Rothesay » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:41 am

That too is intentional. It serves a couple of purposes. One, it identifies those who are of gentle birth. So, for example, in an upcoming fanon piece I will refer to "Filen Oppias." This tells you a couple of things: he is gentle; he is of lesser gentry since there is no 'sir'; and that there might be other NPC members of that clan to whom he is connected. It also serves to indicate a certain degree of distance from the top. E.g. In Heru, Dallisen of Curo really is a member of clan Curo, and related (however distantly) to the Earl of Neph, but that he is so far removed that he is not gentle.

Two, it suggests that names are developing, and that the process - in its infancy - has begun with the top of society. This latter can be ignored, of course, as it is neither canon nor stated anywhere.