Tech Level: 14th Century

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

Husgaran
Cottar
Cottar

Tech Level: 14th Century

#1 Post by Husgaran » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:10 am

Clearly Venarive is in the middle ages. However, the middle ages were a very long time spanning around 1500 years from the Fall of Rome to the Renaissance. In our game we decided to figure out what point in real history we want to parallel the level of technological advancement and proliferation of such technologies achieved in Venarive. This gives the game a sense of consistency. We are better able to picture things like what armor looks like and what soldiers are outfitted with. For our time we chose early to mid-14th century as our parallel to Venarive. Before or around Crecy.

Has anyone else here done this? What time period did you choose?

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Tech Level: 14th Century

#2 Post by Rothesay » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:38 am

That is basically what I use. There are some aspects that are later (certain ships, heraldry) but it fit best for me.

Others see a much earlier time with late 12th century being common.

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by Derfman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:45 am

My impression, and I'm sure I've read commentary on it, is that Harn was 'aiming' at roughly the 10th to 12th centuries for tech level, but truth is that Kethiran tech level is all over the chart.

Plate armor for example...
CANON: Articulated plate does not exist ANYWHERE on Kethira, and earlier versions of plate are 'uncommon'.

But ship technology has reached the early 15th century (The Karune).

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#4 Post by MDMann » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:58 am

I go for mid to late 13th century, but it's not hard and fast. The east tends to be more developed than the west, whilst Orbaal in the north is looking at the 11th century.
Per Sir Veer.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#5 Post by Rothesay » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:26 am

Derfman wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:45 am
My impression, and I'm sure I've read commentary on it, is that Harn was 'aiming' at roughly the 10th to 12th centuries for tech level
This has only been opinion. Robin never (AFAIK) wrote a word on it. But it's important to remember he was a game designer, not a medieval historian. He would have balked at the notion of being straightjacketed into a specific time.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#6 Post by Rothesay » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:27 am

MDMann wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:58 am
The east tends to be more developed than the west, whilst Orbaal in the north is looking at the 11th century.
Yes, I do something along this line as well. My north is definitely at least a century, if not two, behind the rest of Harn.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#7 Post by Rothesay » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:31 am

Derfman wrote:
Plate armor for example...
CANON: Articulated plate does not exist ANYWHERE on Kethira, and earlier versions of plate are 'uncommon'.
One comment here is that non-articulated plate definitely existed in the 14th century. I make it available but quite rare. One needs to be titled, very rich, or both. And not every weaponcrafter can make the stuff. I have one in Coranan that I have deemed can IMC. No one beyond that, although I imagine there are some in Melderyn and certainly in Azadmere. Almost any plate in Kaldor IMC probably came down from the mountain.

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#8 Post by Derfman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:51 am

Rothesay wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:26 am
Derfman wrote:
My impression, and I'm sure I've read commentary on it, is that Harn was 'aiming' at roughly the 10th to 12th centuries for tech level
This has only been opinion. Robin never (AFAIK) wrote a word on it. But it's important to remember he was a game designer, not a medieval historian. He would have balked at the notion of being straightjacketed into a specific time.
And good for him.

For the record, that Kethiran tech is all over the place on matching centuries with Terra is a GOOD thing.
Strongly approve of not being straightjacketed.
In fact, a lot of Kethiran tech seems to be right at 'transitional' stages, allowing all sorts of GM options. Using the ship example again, a GM could just have normal medieval stuff going on, or could just as easily send the PCs to Mafan or Kamerand......

Husgaran
Cottar
Cottar

#9 Post by Husgaran » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:41 pm

We've decided on some things in regards to armor:

Most footsoldiers wear gambesons or boiled leather.

Typical knights and rich soldiers wear chainmail. Along with Azeryani legionnaires whose empire can afford to equip them all so. Not uncommon for these knights to still use great helms that were passed down.

Richer knights have mid 14th century style plate. Pieces of plate over chainmail with pig snout style bascinets like this.

Great lords and princes can sometimes afford Dwarven plate which we decided is 15th century armor.

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#10 Post by Krazma » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Rothesay wrote:
Derfman wrote:
I suspect this is the commentary in question (from page one of HârnWorld):
While Hârn contains unique cultures and creatures, its closest historical equivalent is 9th to 14th century Britain. Elements from this entire period may be found and, with the exception of the unique elements described, the GM may use this historical era as a model.
As mentioned, there's a lot of leeway...

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#11 Post by Rothesay » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:20 pm

Krazma wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:01 pm
Rothesay wrote:
Derfman wrote:
I suspect this is the commentary in question (from page one of HârnWorld):
Indeed - that is the closest NRC ever got. Not even in the same time zone as it were.

I agree with Derfman that this is one of the strengths of Harn. It cannot be so easily pigeon-holed. 8)