Gate of Kendal

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

Dan L P
Beadle
Beadle

Gate of Kendal

#1 Post by Dan L P » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:48 am

Gate of Kendal
How many of you use Gate of Kendal and modified it for your own p-Harn world?
What modification did you make?

I also add an attachment with my own modifications.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dan L P on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derfman
Knight
Knight

Re: Gate of Kendal

#2 Post by Derfman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:20 am

Was hoping others would reply.....

I've never had it come up in play, but I don't like this spell.

Reason why:
The multiple stop (possibly dangerous), and consumed time aspects of the spell are a reasonable offset to its usefulness, however, to do them 'right' dumps a load of work on the GM.
Also, substantial lost time can be disruptive to a campaign unless the whole party uses the gate.

If the GM makes the stops 'simple encounters only' to simplify his work, that sharply reduces the downside of the spell.

If I ever allowed the spell in game, I'd tell the players that if they ever use it, that game session is over, and I'll need a few days to plan out their journey. And the mage PC would know this. Its the sort of spell that should only be used in desperation, even more so than other spells.

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#3 Post by Krazma » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:06 am

It's really an arcane plot hook, designed to get the PC(s) to a series of places the GM wants them to go. NRC wrote a short story about how this spell would play out. If you have a PC who knows this spell, you should be prepared in advance.

Dan L P
Beadle
Beadle

#4 Post by Dan L P » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:29 am

Derfman wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:20 am

I've never had it come up in play, but I don't like this spell.

Reason why:
The multiple stop (possibly dangerous), and consumed time aspects of the spell are a reasonable offset to its usefulness, however, to do them 'right' dumps a load of work on the GM.
Also, substantial lost time can be disruptive to a campaign unless the whole party uses the gate.
I also thought that the time delay to travel to the destination took too long and was one of the first reasons I modified Gate of Kemdal.

“If the spell caster can see his destination (hilltop, across a river, under a tree, etc) he might arrived instantaneously.
Instantly (CS), d3 Minutes (MS), 2d6 Minutes (MF), d6 Hours (CF)
For destinations out of line of sight the caster can visualizes a specific destination, but the gate rarely leads directly there; the spell “calculates” a route to the destination on the first casting, consisting of
1d3 stops (CS), 1d4+2 stops (MS), 1d6+2 stops (MF), or 1d6+3 stops (CF)”

“Each casting for each stop add to the amount of time traveling through the gates.
1d10 minutes (CS), Hours (MS), Days (MF), or Months (CF).”

It could still take a long time to reach the final destination when visualizing distant locations, but not as long as the original spell.
It is good idea to have a high ML before traveling long distances

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#5 Post by Targan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:16 pm

Whether you feel comfortable with the disruption of multiple stops and time lost with Gate of Kemdal as written, clearly its suite of variables (spell level, fatigue, casting time etc) are set at amounts the system designers were intending. So rather than modify Gate of Kemdal, why not just write up a similar spell with a name of your choosing that does exactly as you want and has an appropriate spell level etc?
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli

Dan L P
Beadle
Beadle

#6 Post by Dan L P » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Targan wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:16 pm
So rather than modify Gate of Kemdal, why not just write up a similar spell with a name of your choosing that does exactly as you want and has an appropriate spell level etc?
Wow that is a great idea, and that's what I did. See the attachment on the first post of this thread.
But I was wondering how other people modified Gate of Kemdal teleport spell. Did they remove the multitude stops and time delays, or if the caster is facing east and he casting the spell , he walks through and comes out at the nearest Barasi Points east of the starting point?

I also edit my attachments above by adding a line to the 65+ effects.