Forest Hundred

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related. Ask questions, discuss in-game situations, talk about the setting, the rules, whatever. Newbies welcome.

Moderator: Spartan

phderiksson
Beadle
Beadle

Forest Hundred

#1 Post by phderiksson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:40 am

Is there any vills within the forest hundreds jurisdiction?
It seems to me that in medieval england there was settlements wthin the forest hundreds. None seems to be present in Harn.

Moreover, Harn has Forest Wardens and Foresters but no Verderers. As far as i understand it, verderers seems to me to be a person in between the warden and the forester, and which in reality was the person who held the forest court. Something like the bailff of the hundred (B/H).
The Arbalester

Peter the skald
Grand Master Silly Bugger
Grand Master Silly Bugger

Re: Forest Hundred

#2 Post by Peter the skald » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:45 am

Not as far as I know :D
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#3 Post by MDMann » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:07 am

In the very good Asolade Fanon, there are verderers. They're a holdover from the days of the hundred kingdoms (not that there were anywhere near a hundred petty kingdoms).

In Kanday, there are several fanon forest vills, that have only been partly been incorporated into the kingdom. I think there may be some canon ones too.
Per Sir Veer.

phderiksson
Beadle
Beadle

#4 Post by phderiksson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 am

MDMann wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:07 am
In the very good Asolade Fanon, there are verderers. They're a holdover from the days of the hundred kingdoms (not that there were anywhere near a hundred petty kingdoms).

In Kanday, there are several fanon forest vills, that have only been partly been incorporated into the kingdom. I think there may be some canon ones too.
Thanks, I see the Kanday forest vills now. Since the vills were not tabled under the forest hundred I totally missed them.

Regarding the verderers of medieval england, I believe the best explanation is that they are equivalent with the forest wardens of Harn.
The Arbalester

pfstrack
Beadle
Beadle

#5 Post by pfstrack » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:44 am

The forest population of each Harnic kingdom would be tiny, at most a few thousand people scattered over a huge area. I agree that the wardens would be the official admistrators of law in the forests, but kingdom law in the forests would be very weak. That is where the barbarians and brigands live.

Krazma
Baron
Baron

#6 Post by Krazma » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:37 am

There aren’t any forest hundreds with settled manors. That doesn’t mean no one lives there, of course.

Salman
Reeve
Reeve

#7 Post by Salman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:37 am

Krazma wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:37 am
There aren’t any forest hundreds with settled manors. That doesn’t mean no one lives there, of course.
Try Airth manor in Kaldor and there are probably more.

I don't see why there couldn't be few small villages hacking a livelihood on edge of civilization. Head taxes give additional income for forest warden and provides more eyes and ears against brigands and etc.

phderiksson
Beadle
Beadle

#8 Post by phderiksson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Salman wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:37 am
I don't see why there couldn't be few small villages hacking a livelihood on edge of civilization. Head taxes give additional income for forest warden and provides more eyes and ears against brigands and etc.
My opinion as well. There are is a significant amount of settlements within the Aleur Forest Hundred bordering Horkand and Aleta Hundred of Kanday. I think there could be a jurisdiction conflict there. An opinion I got from reading the novel For those who hasn't read the novel. In short, the local verderer is murdered and replaced with a corrupt verderer. The overall plan is to install distrust on the sitting Forest Warden. To do this the foresters extort the inhabitants within the forest hundred, which has no recourse for justice within the local lords court.
The Arbalester