Harnic adventure - On the Edge

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

GarryHamlin
Villein
Villein

Harnic adventure - On the Edge

#1 Post by GarryHamlin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Calling attention to a newly published adventure (CGI/Kerry Mould et. al., art by Richard Luschek; 52 pages) in the world of Harn involving a murder mystery involving sabotage to a bridge being constructed over a gorge obstructing trade between human and dwarven communities. (Silver Way: Tashel to Azadmere.) If you're looking for something to run in the Harnmaster system, there's plenty here for you: orc raids, prowling barbarians, a ghost story, caravan routes, dwarven/human intrigue, potential precipitous drops into a watery abyss, detailed PC/NPCs, top notch mapping and art, etc. This would make a great single offering for your table and could easily be expanded into multiple sessions or even a campaign. My only interest in the product is seeing more people come into contact with a beautiful adventure and gaming system offering a quality experience beyond what people unaccustomed to Harnworld would have likely come to expect. This isn't something you could run just off the cuff. This is a world that feels real and one that your characters can inhabit on many levels. I wish I could believe that all of us who love Harn would run this at major rpg conventions. The hobby has grown up, and it's time for this experience.

APrewett
Yeoman
Yeoman

Re: Harnic adventure - On the Edge

#2 Post by APrewett » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:45 pm

So teasing without a link

Sageryne
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by Sageryne » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi Allan,

It is the latest HarnQuest. For those on the mailing list, physical copies are currently being shipped. For those who prefer to buy it online, it is available on RPGNow.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/223382/On ... est_recent

A quick caution to players, the PDF preview on RPGNow includes detailed spoilers. Don't read the preview if you want to play the adventure!

- Kerry
Last edited by Sageryne on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle. - Mal, Firefly.

Peter the skald
Grand Master Silly Bugger

#4 Post by Peter the skald » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Whoop hoo. 🎈✨
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

CGI Public Relations
Woodward
Woodward

#5 Post by CGI Public Relations » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:45 am

Sageryne wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:39 pm
A quick caution to players, the PDF preview on RPGNow includes detailed spoilers. Don't read the preview if you want to play the adventure!
Oops! That problem has now been fixed.

The adventure is now available on the Columba Games website (print and PDF) and RPGNow.com (PDF only).
Columbia Games, Inc.
Visit the updated HârnWorld website!

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#6 Post by MDMann » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:06 am

Well I was going to day it would be interesting to have an all khuzdul party, which you can here. I still am.

The rpgnow preview is harder to see now, though you might be able to make it out with effort or something to sharpen zoomed in images, but... instead of three or four pages you can now read the whole article!
Per Sir Veer.

Sageryne
Knight
Knight

#7 Post by Sageryne » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:20 am

Hi Michael,

I checked on my computer. You can see all the pages (which is on purpose), but not make out much text below the heading level (which is also on purpose). The whole article preview is at low enough resolution no one should be able to read any spoilers or make use of it without paying.

And yes, you can have a whole party just of dwarves!

- Kerry
Well, my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle. - Mal, Firefly.

APrewett
Yeoman
Yeoman

#8 Post by APrewett » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:00 pm

I could just make out the name ''Nolah", so we know its following Harn tradition...

9ofSwords
Woodward
Woodward

#9 Post by 9ofSwords » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 pm

I'm curious about Mercantyler and Caravan Master, Jorlak of Falesh.
Is Clan Falesh so large that we shouldn't assume Jorlak has any close relation to Halime?
And has the building owned by this branch of Clan Falesh been located on the map of Tashal?

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#10 Post by Rothesay » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm

9ofSwords wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 pm
I'm curious about Mercantyler and Caravan Master, Jorlak of Falesh.
Is Clan Falesh so large that we shouldn't assume Jorlak has any close relation to Halime?
And has the building owned by this branch of Clan Falesh been located on the map of Tashal?
These are questions I asked of the draft. While I will let Kerry opine definitively, the short answer seems to be no.

I imagine Jorlak's house is in one of the the districts abutting the eastern walls, but probably not Eastside. Weavertown would be my choice. 8)

Sageryne
Knight
Knight

#11 Post by Sageryne » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:18 am

Hi 9ofSwords,

Matt did ask about Jorlak's relation to Halime. My position on this is...it depends. If the GM might find it useful for the two to be closely related, then they are. That could raise all sorts of interesting questions about his involvement in the bridge project :twisted: If the GM wants to keep things simple, they could be distantly related and have no real interaction.

I had not specifically located his home. Again, that is up to the GM. I like Matt's suggestion of the house being in Weavertown.

If you want to play up the relation to Halime, it could be the building next to the Spurs (Halime's Inn). Where Nalror Street dead ends just behind the Spurs, the street is wide, with the city wall on one side. It would be a great place for preparing a caravan, marshalling and loading mules.

Or, he could be further down the street.

If was asked... 8) I would suggest the large L shaped building facing Malshi Way, bounded by Ibuthine Way and Nalror Street...

However, I deliberately did not locate Jorlak's House, so the GM is free to put it anywhere they like :D

The longer I have been writing for Harn, the more I like to add in nuggets without explanation. Early Harn was great for that... Leaving these question marks opens up all sorts of options for GMs. As I get older, I like the mystery and intrigue that comes from the unexplained. It stimulates GMs' and Players' imaginations, and that is a good thing in my opinion.

- Kerry

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#12 Post by Rothesay » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:39 am

Sageryne wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:18 am
That could raise all sorts of interesting questions about his involvement in the bridge project :twisted:
Halime has his fingers in all sorts of interesting pies - some of them legal. He is one of the great unexplored characters of Tashal (though I have tried to do so from time to time IMC), with a lot of potential as a patron, adversary, ally, or even a combination. Certainly the LK angle is commonly invoked, but Halime is also a major holder of real estate and owns Galopea's Feast.

A couple of other Faleshes are in Tashal:

Joular, a cousin
Ardail, Halime's younger brother

Both are involved in the LK operations.

Involving Halime in the bridge project could be in this vein - perhaps he is one of the investors. Or, he could be looking to profit in some way through increased opportunities for illegal activities (graft, extortion, protection - all the old favorites) that might arise from the changes the project would bring.

For my part, I think I'd have him do both. :lol:

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#13 Post by MDMann » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:52 am

Unrelated relations. I have Falime marry Perla of Rabita in a sumptuous Halean ceremony. It's clearly a business deal as the two prominent innkeepers retain their respective businesses...
Per Sir Veer.

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by Leitchy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43 am

Sageryne wrote:
The longer I have been writing for Harn, the more I like to add in nuggets without explanation. Early Harn was great for that... Leaving these question marks opens up all sorts of options for GMs. As I get older, I like the mystery and intrigue that comes from the unexplained. It stimulates GMs' and Players' imaginations, and that is a good thing in my opinion.
Oh hell yeah; so much +1 on this!

:)

The key thing this does is that it allows GMs with different ways of thinking and with different game styles, or the type of game they want to run in mind (murder mystery vs action adventure, for example), to come up with different scenarios using the same written material. Half the battle of running a good game, where the players can suspend their disbelief long enough to become immersed in the story, is that the GM is firm in his own mind about what's going on. He (or she) has internal justifications for telling his players that X is just so. This comes across as firm (in-game) "facts" and players can pick that up from the way the GM describes things. All this makes the atmosphere of the game more believable, and therefore more enjoyable for everyone.

That's why my writing philosophy for Harn as always been "Less is more!"

There you go, a bit of gaming philosophy for a Thursday morning!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#15 Post by Targan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:29 am

Sageryne wrote:
As I get older, I like the mystery and intrigue that comes from the unexplained. It stimulates GMs' and Players' imaginations, and that is a good thing in my opinion.
Hi Kerry. It was I you were talking to earlier today on the Friends of Harn Facebook page about Dwarves and their pipe smoking, etc :)
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli

Sageryne
Knight
Knight

#16 Post by Sageryne » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:52 am

Hi Targan,

Good to see you here too!

I am glad you are enjoying the adventure. I am also enjoying the observations people are making about the little details and easter eggs in the adventure. I can't take credit for the dwarves smoking pipes though. That idea came from the amazing Richard Luschek, I just took his amazing illustrations and ran with them!

Good to see you here on HarnForum as well as our Facebook page.

For those who aren't members, I started a Facebook page called the Friends of Harn. Everyone is welcome to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7250630 ... =bookmarks

We have also been having some good discussion about On The Edge on that site as well.

Cheers

- Kerry

9ofSwords
Woodward
Woodward

#17 Post by 9ofSwords » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Sageryne wrote:
The longer I have been writing for Harn, the more I like to add in nuggets without explanation.
Oh I completely understand and appreciate that sentiment, particularly where canon is concerned. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed out on some piece of fanon, like Ubiquitous-But-Not-So-Great Clans of Kaldor, where all that might have been set down.

And many thanks to you and the others who worked on this. In my p-Harn that chain bridge is going to get built, one way or another!
Leitchy wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43 am
That's why my writing philosophy for Harn as always been "Less is more!"
I am now consciously observing a variant on this: "Everything does not need to be connected!"

Sageryne
Knight
Knight

#18 Post by Sageryne » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi 9ofSwords,
9ofSwords wrote:And many thanks to you and the others who worked on this. In my p-Harn that chain bridge is going to get built, one way or another!
Amen to that! And after Guthe, on to Fana and Axxon....

- Kerry

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#19 Post by Rothesay » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:48 pm

9ofSwords wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:31 pm
Ubiquitous-But-Not-So-Great Clans of Kaldor
I think the guy who's been working on Cheeses of Northern Kaldor Vol. 2 has this planned right after. :D

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#20 Post by MDMann » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:11 pm

Would that be Great Cheeses of Northern Kaldor Vol. 2?
Per Sir Veer.

Asik
Woodward
Woodward

#21 Post by Asik » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:42 pm

I am on page 11 right now (I have glanced at the remainder). Wow, this is great! I am going to read more as soon as I post this. 1) I am very happy to see a new adventure, it was a long time since the last one. I cannot wait to run this. 2) I never much cared for Azadmere (or Elshavel) but now I cannot wait to get some player characters over there to check out Guthe Gorge and On the Edge. 3) The adventure takes place during the year of 720 -- bold, I like it. A question perhaps of morbid curiosity, why not set it in 719? I am wondering if there is a specific reason. 4) Fully detailed characters, several of them. This is so helpful, thank you so much. It is so much work to detail these folks, to have the work already completed is wonderful. 5) Names of NPCs, so many names. This is extremely helpful. It may not seem like much, but for me as someone who is going to run this, having those names saves me a lot of time. 6) Details about caravans, we have been lucky with some good information about caravans lately including the Salt Rout article. On the Edge has even more good information about caravans. Very helpful. I try to calculate these types of numbers (feed, cost, profits) myself and I am never really sure if I am in the ballpark or not. 7) The premise is the best, a project that makes so much economical sense it is impossible to ignore. The premise feels so real, so believable, it is undeniable (and you accomplished this level of believability with a bunch of Khuzdul running around! -- amazing).

Never before has my suspension of disbelief been less insulted when in the presence of Khuzdul.

Thank you. 100 times -- thank you everyone who put this adventure together.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#22 Post by MDMann » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:30 pm

Well for being set in 720 I can answer that. Everything's meant to be a snapshot in time. It's so there's a consistency, so everything is set in amber. Things are static until pc's change the world, so every pHarn is unique.
Last edited by MDMann on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Per Sir Veer.

Peter the skald

#23 Post by Peter the skald » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:18 pm

I thought it was a rule that everything Canon was set in 720?
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

Asik
Woodward
Woodward

#24 Post by Asik » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:14 pm

I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that Nuzyael 720 was the cut off. But it sounds like maybe it is actually Nuzyael 721? To be clear, I think it is great the adventure takes place when it does. It just surprised me.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#25 Post by MDMann » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Most things start in Nuzyael, but some things need to start later (because of the seasons say), so start later in that year.
Per Sir Veer.