Traveling Chandler

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

Dan L P
Beadle
Beadle

Traveling Chandler

#1 Post by Dan L P » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:52 pm

Traveling Chandler
Chandlers who travel to tribal villages, manors, villages, and out of the way establishments by pack animals or in a wagon, selling or trading inexpensive nonperishable items.
I hope the following PDFs are helpful to anyone creating a Chandler or trying to randomly generate trade goods for (HM3 Treasure 2 & 3) personal possessions tables.
Making up the Trade Goods tables I went through every Harn price list I could find and listed items under 37d in price. In a different thread it was pointed out to me that inexpensive items would be bought (or traded for) by small villages, farmers, manors, and tribal villages. Larger towns and cities would sell the more expensive items. I also add a few things I thought of that were not included on any price list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dan L P on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

GarryHamlin
Villein
Villein

Re: Traveling Chandler

#2 Post by GarryHamlin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Nice addition. Will definitely use it. Think a guy like this, in Shakespear and medieval England would be traditionally called a tinker, though the activity of tinkering itself involves making repairs, not being a traveling salesman.

Dan L P
Beadle
Beadle

#3 Post by Dan L P » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:50 am

GarryHamlin wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 pm
Nice addition. Will definitely use it. Think a guy like this, in Shakespear and medieval England would be traditionally called a tinker, though the activity of tinkering itself involves making repairs, not being a traveling salesman.
Thank you for your kind response.
Originally I tried to include all the items on the price lists but it took up too much room. Maybe I will try to make a trade goods list for caravans 37d price and above. What do you think?
Last edited by Dan L P on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#4 Post by MDMann » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:57 am

Perhaps there should be some overlap? Items both carry. Or items to bulk out the merchants caravan. Or trade goods for the barbarians (trinkets and beads)?
Per Sir Veer.

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#5 Post by bbailey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:23 am

MDMann wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:57 am
Or trade goods for the barbarians (trinkets and beads)?
The Hunting article includes a page about trading with tribesmen. It describes the trading process, what goods are typically traded, and their relative value to the tribesmen.

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#6 Post by MDMann » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:12 am

Cool. Not one I have.
Per Sir Veer.

Brian_Smaller
Villein
Villein

#7 Post by Brian_Smaller » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:36 am

MDMann wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:57 am
Perhaps there should be some overlap? Items both carry. Or items to bulk out the merchants caravan. Or trade goods for the barbarians (trinkets and beads)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpLfDNCbgYU

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#8 Post by MDMann » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:57 am

Reminds me of New Zealand.
Per Sir Veer.

Brian_Smaller
Villein
Villein

#9 Post by Brian_Smaller » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:50 am

MDMann wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:57 am
It should. Comedy from one of our favourite sons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj34qNf6DHo

pfstrack
Beadle
Beadle

#10 Post by pfstrack » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:02 am

I like this a lot, but some of the items on the list seem impractical for a traveling trader, particularly the bulky items like ladders and wheelbarrows. I think a traveling trader would focus on light as well as cheap items, maximizing the value-to-weight ratio.

Bulky items will probably be made by local metalsmiths and woodworkers. Even if there isn't one in the village, there is probably one in a village nearby.

Also, if you added some numbers to randomly generate categories and items within categories, that would be super useful.

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#11 Post by Targan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:22 am

Brian_Smaller wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:50 am
MDMann wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:57 am
It should. Comedy from one of our favourite sons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj34qNf6DHo
Brilliant. Hopefully I'll be heading home for a visit early next year.
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by Leitchy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:43 am

pfstrack wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:02 am
I like this a lot, but some of the items on the list seem impractical for a traveling trader, particularly the bulky items like ladders and wheelbarrows. I think a traveling trader would focus on light as well as cheap items, maximizing the value-to-weight ratio.

Bulky items will probably be made by local metalsmiths and woodworkers. Even if there isn't one in the village, there is probably one in a village nearby.
The general practice is for the travelling tinkers to take orders for the more bulky items, and then bring those items with them next time they pass...or arrange for the bulky item to be delivered by some other means. For example, a tinker could take an order for a new anvil from a country blacksmith, take the order back to Tashal and arrange for it to be available by a certain date. If the village or local lord has a cart of produce to take to Tashal, they could pick up the anvil. Or perhaps a merchant arranges to bring some kind of cargo past the village, and the anvil could be included in that shipment.

There's all sorts of ways that bulky/heavy items can be delivered to remote villages. :)
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

pfstrack
Beadle
Beadle

#13 Post by pfstrack » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:27 pm

Leitchy wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:43 am
pfstrack wrote:

The general practice is for the travelling tinkers to take orders for the more bulky items, and then bring those items with them next time they pass...or arrange for the bulky item to be delivered by some other means. For example, a tinker could take an order for a new anvil from a country blacksmith, take the order back to Tashal and arrange for it to be available by a certain date. If the village or local lord has a cart of produce to take to Tashal, they could pick up the anvil. Or perhaps a merchant arranges to bring some kind of cargo past the village, and the anvil could be included in that shipment.

There's all sorts of ways that bulky/heavy items can be delivered to remote villages. :)
I don't disagree with that, but I was specifically referring to the charts in the PDF of the original poster. Those charts describe random items the tinker is carrying with them, not special orders. It is very unlikely a tinker would lug a bunch of anvils with them on the off chance they might run into someone who might buy them.

Edit: I just realized you were responding to my second paragraph, not the first. In that respect, yes, you do have a good point, though I think most simple items (like ladders) would be made locally.

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#14 Post by bbailey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:54 pm

I read a few books in a series of medieval mystery novels set in 15th Century England about Roger the Chapman, a peddler or traveling mercantyler of sorts who dealt mostly in needles, thread, cheap jewelry, lace, ribbons, bits of cloth, and other small items. He had been educated as a novice in a monastery but found the clerical life not to his liking. During his travels, he uses his "remarkable memory and talent for solving puzzles" to unravel mysteries. The author is Kate Sedley and it looks like there are 22 books in the series. I read the first few and remember thinking they were decent books.

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#15 Post by Krazma » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:07 pm

GarryHamlin wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 pm
To my mind, a traveling chandler (or, potentially, a member of other guilds) would be called a peddler. A tinker is someone who travels around making repairs to metal items (most likely a traveling metalcrafter).

Such itinerant characters would have to be careful of local franchises, but that still leaves them a lot of territory. One thing from the attached lists that I don't think would be found would be various agricultural produce. Chandlers specifically have the right to resell products of other guilds. Manor products are another thing altogether. (Of course, they might well be paid in kind.)

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#16 Post by Targan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Krazma wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:07 pm
To my mind, a traveling chandler (or, potentially, a member of other guilds) would be called a peddler. A tinker is someone who travels around making repairs to metal items (most likely a traveling metalcrafter).
Peddler sounds like a good role for a journeyman mercantyler (if such a rank exists in that guild).

pfstrack
Beadle
Beadle

#17 Post by pfstrack » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Targan wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:59 pm
Krazma wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:07 pm
Peddler sounds like a good role for a journeyman mercantyler (if such a rank exists in that guild).
I think the traveling chandler is a better fit for peddlars than a journeyman mercantyler. Unlike chandlers, the mercantylers do not have the rights for direct sale of guild goods. Mercantylers are supposed to deal in wholesale, not retail.

Furthermore, mercantylers as a guild focus on major, long distance and high value trade. Catering to peasants won't let a journeyman mercantyler build up the contacts they will need to become masters.

I think journeyman mercantylers are more likely to be caravan traders, ship factors or clerks in larger trading houses. I think master merchants tend to settle down and focus on usury and trade financing rather than travel themselves (though there are likely exceptions).

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#18 Post by Targan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 pm

pfstrack wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:59 pm
I think the traveling chandler is a better fit for peddlars than a journeyman mercantyler. Unlike chandlers, the mercantylers do not have the rights for direct sale of guild goods. Mercantylers are supposed to deal in wholesale, not retail.
Whoops. I should have checked the Guilds article. I forgot that Chandlers have their own guild.

Dan L P
Beadle
Beadle

#19 Post by Dan L P » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:54 pm

pfstrack wrote:

Also, if you added some numbers to randomly generate categories and items within categories, that would be super useful.
I will try to add d100 numbers for random generation of items.
And about the bulky items like ladders and wheelbarrows of course they won't fit on a pack animals but they could be tied to the outside of a wagon.

MDMann
Constable
Constable

#20 Post by MDMann » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:30 pm

You know I should have said Australia just to fit with the whole Flight of the Concords thing. Not been to Australia though.
Per Sir Veer.

Dan L P
Beadle
Beadle

#21 Post by Dan L P » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Dan L P wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:54 pm
pfstrack wrote:

I will try to add d100 numbers for random generation of items.
And about the bulky items like ladders and wheelbarrows of course they won't fit on a pack animals but they could be tied to the outside of a wagon.
Well I have updated my PDFs, I hope you find them helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pfstrack
Beadle
Beadle

#22 Post by pfstrack » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Dan L P wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 pm
Well I have updated my PDFs, I hope you find them helpful.
Oh yes, very nice. Thank you :)