HarnCon 2015 - Kansas City - July 24-26

A forum to discuss topics replated to the organsiation, running, or post-Con windup of the current HârnCon, wherever it may be held.

Moderators: Spartan, NicktheLemming

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

HarnCon 2015 - Kansas City - July 24-26

#1 Postby jpm » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:40 pm

We've finalized the weekend for HarnCon this year and are making progress on plans for the event. Here are a few tidbits so far:

1. The event will be held at Hollis Renewal Center again as it is an awesome venue for HarnCon. Close to the airport, Inexpensive, Well outfitted with a full kitchen, plenty of space for gaming, and the proprietor doesn't mind if I bring a bottle of single malt scotch (as long as I share it....) Thanks St. Benedict!

2. We anticipate a good crowd and will have a Saturday evening full session LARP. Kerry Mould has something up his sleeve and I think it has red and white checkered patterns all over it...

3. Gretchen has graciously offered to provide Saturday evening's authentic Harnic Feast as part of the LARP. I'm just glad I won't have to die at the end of dinner like I did last time... Then again knowing Kerry, I may still have to...

Looking forward to it, and watch this space...
The King is dead. Long live the King. All Hail Calsten II, King of Kaldor and Lion of the North!

Krazma
Constable
Constable

Re: HarnCon 2015 - Kansas City - July 24-26

#2 Postby Krazma » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:48 am

Patrick, is the planning far enough along that you know what the time slots will be? One or two on Friday, three on Saturday, and one on Sunday?

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

#3 Postby jpm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:56 am

Planning is proceeding... We should have hotel info to post shortly. If you want to stay at Hollis Center reach out to Hollis directly as there are only a few spaces and they are filling quickly.

Schedule will look something like this:

Friday:
Noon to 4:00 p.m -- arrivals and Con preparations. Possible pick up games etc.
5:00 - 6:30 p.m. -- Weather permitting we'll fire up the BBQ and have dinner. (Weather not permitting we'll fire up the oven and eat anyway).
6:30 - 7:00 p.m. -- Official Open: Welcome, Announcements, Etc.
7:00 - 11:00 p.m.+ -- Session 1 (TBD)

Saturday
8:00 - 9:00 a.m. -- Breakfast (tbd - we have facilities at Hollis or there is likely the option at your hotel).
9:00 - 1:00 p.m. -- Session 2 (TBD)
1:00 - 2:00 p.m. -- Lunch (tbd - again we have facilities.)
2:00 - 6:00 p.m. -- Session 4 (TBD)
6:00 - 6:30 p.m. -- Break
6:30 - 7:30 p.m. -- Dinner [Feast of St. Ambrathas ("Authentic Laranian Harnic Feast")] additional fee
7:30 - ??? p.m. -- The Soylana Council [The Reblana (Kt. Commanders) of the LOP gather at Whyce to discuss matters of import...]

Sunday
8:00 - 9:00 a.m. -- Breakfast (tbd)
9:00 - 1:00 pm. -- Session 5 (TBD)
1:00 - 1:30 p.m. -- Hollis cleanup and farewell.

We're working on a registration page... in the mean time if you want to be notified, please post here.

Let us know if you really want an afternoon session on Sunday... or anything else you'd like to see at the event.
The King is dead. Long live the King. All Hail Calsten II, King of Kaldor and Lion of the North!

St Benedict
Half Villein
Half Villein

#4 Postby St Benedict » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:10 pm

Early arrivals are possible. For those coming on Thursday night, a Friday morning pick up session is possible...maybe even a play test of Ascendant (aka Kaldor in Crisis), the board game that has been in development for some time.
For those of you with families in tow here are a few close to Hollis Renewal Center attractions:
T-Bones single A baseball, home games through July 26.
KC Sporting MLS...could not find their schedule.
http://www.schlitterbahn.com/kansas-city (water park)
Cabelas
Legends Shopping Center
If Hollis is not woodsy enough there is Wyandotte County Lake and Park or Shawnee Lake and Park with fishing and miles of hiking/biking trails
Peace,
Dave Mareske, Hollis Center

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

#5 Postby jpm » Fri May 15, 2015 1:18 pm

The following information on HarnCon is now on Warhorn.net and you can register there.

We of course will need GM's. If you plan to attend and run something, please contact me, Pete (email below) , or Dave (St. Benedict). Similar to last time in KC I expect we will have an on-going tournament with jousting, archery etc. in between sessions, with a battlelust melee session as part of the Ainlana Tournament.

HarnCon 2015
Jul 24-26 in Kansas City, KS, US

The annual event for all Harn enthusiasts is being held for a second time at Hollis Renewal Center, in Kansas City, Kansas, USA from Friday July 24th through Sunday July 26th.
Location & Directions

Located at Hollis Renewal Center (Map) at 11414 Kansas Ave, Kansas City, KS, USA, 66111. Near the junction of I-435 and I-70, close by the Kansas Raceway and the Legends Shopping Area. Take N. 110th south from I-70 until you see the Fire Station and a small brown sign for Hollis. Turn South and head west until you run out of road - Hollis is at the bottom of the Hill.
Fee Structure

$10 for attending the day.

$25 for the entire weekend.

$35 for the full board medieval feast (Saturday Night). Limit 30 people.

Camping is available for $3/night/person (bring own equipment). There is one RV Hookup at $10/night with Water & Electricity.

A block of rooms has been reserved at the Candlewood Suites - 10920 Parallel Parkway, Kansas City, KS, USA, 66109. Use this Link to reserve a room or contact Cara Galey - 913-788-9929. Group name reference is 'Harn' or 'Harn Convention'. Room rate is $116.99 (Single Occupancy), $124.99 (Double Occupancy) plus applicable taxes.

NOTE: In order to register for this event through WARHORN you must be a member of Warhon. If you do not wish to register with Warhorn then send fees via Paypal to pcgv001@gmail.com
Schedule
Friday

9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m — Early arrivals and Con preparations. Possible pick up games etc.
5:00 - 6:30 p.m. -- Weather permitting we'll fire up the BBQ and have dinner. (Weather not permitting we'll fire up the oven and eat anyway). Hollis Donations accepted to cover the cost of food.
6:30 - 7:00 p.m. -- Official Open: Welcome, Announcements, Etc.
7:00 - 11:00 p.m.+ -- Session 1 (TBD)
Saturday

8:00 - 9:00 a.m. -- Breakfast (Omelets & Flapjacks — Hollis Donations accepted).
9:00 - 1:00 p.m. -- Session 2 (TBD)
1:00 - 2:00 p.m. -- Lunch (on your own - a group usually head to the Legends for BBQ)
2:00 - 6:00 p.m. -- Session 3 (TBD)
6:00 - 6:30 p.m. -- Break
6:30 - 7:30 p.m. -- Dinner [Feast of St. Ambrathas ("Authentic Laranian Harnic Feast") - Additional Fee $35,00. Limit of 30 people.
7:30 - 10:30 p.m. -- The Soylana Council Live Action Role Playing. See 'Activities' below for more details.
Sunday

8:00 - 9:00 a.m. -- Breakfast (on your own)
9:00 - 1:00 pm. -- Session 5 (TBD)
1:00 - 1:30 p.m. -- Hollis cleanup and farewell.
Other Attractions & Events

Artist Guest of Honor

Richard Luschek - Richard is a regular art contributor for Harn Materials. His excellent work can be found in most Harn Materials and Publications. Richard will have some of his original work for sale and has offered to donate art as a prize for the convention. Richard has also offered to give a Art presentation/session during the convention.
Fanon Awards
Live Action Role Playing (LARP)

To be held after the feast on Saturday night. A preview ...

Each year, the Soylana (senior knights) of the Order of the Lady of Paladins (LoP) in Kaldor converge on Whyce Chapterhouse for the Ainlana Tournament. The tournament is capped by the knighting of the successful postulants, the Feast of St Ambrathas and the Soylana Assembly. The Ainlana Tournament occurs at the same time as the Royal Chelebin Tournament of Chivalry in Olokand. This year, Sir Houla (the senior knight-commander of the LoP) was specifically invited to join the King in Olokand. The Soylana await his return to begin the Assembly. There is much to discuss, the Chabla (grandmaster) of the Order has sent a letter ordering the LoP in Kaldor to send troops to support the Solori Crusade. As the feast concludes, a mud spattered squire bursts into the great hall, "My lords, I have tragic news...."

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Postby Leitchy » Fri May 15, 2015 2:35 pm

Sounds fab, Pat. Wish I could make it...
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
Admin FAQs

rob
Knight
Knight

#7 Postby rob » Fri May 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Pat,

I wish I could make it too but.... Still trying to get the retirement economics under control, seems to be spending more than less but if I had done things to my house earlier.....

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

#8 Postby jpm » Sun May 17, 2015 1:29 am

Will miss both of you. Regarding retirement Rob I have two words for you... Alpo diet... at least that's my plan.. :cry:

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Postby Leitchy » Mon May 18, 2015 8:46 am

Watch out for those damn dangerous Irish Setters!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
Admin FAQs

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

#10 Postby jpm » Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 am

Update on the previous schedule. We'll post these to Warhorn with time slots and descriptions later, but here is what we have so far:

Bognor's Folly - Rob Barnes
Pt I Escape from Port Esobran
Pt II: The Spectre of Lorkin
Pt III: Bognor's Island

Rob do you have a short description you can share here?

Seven Swords of Kaldor - Patrick McDonald
Pt I: The Parable of Quarter
Pt II: The Parable of Glory
Pt III: The Lost Parable

The Book of Alamic, a sacred Laranian text, has many parables that teach the chivalric virtues. Several such parables are depicted on the six stone sword monuments throughout the kingdom of Kaldor. Squires often quest to visit some or all of the stone swords in order to “contemplate the moral of the parable”. It is deemed an act of great piety to visit all six swords prior to undergoing Tirannon.
A young squire and his retinue will venture into the harsh barbarian lands to visit the last two sword stones at Homala (deep within Taelda territory), and Lareb Hill, surrounded by the viscous Kath. What they find deep within the wilds will change the kingdom forever...if they can make their way back home....

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#11 Postby Krazma » Mon May 18, 2015 11:00 am

jpm wrote:Rob do you have a short description you can share here?

Bognor’s Folly is set on the periphery of the kingdom of Orbaal in northern Hârn. Here, in the Anoth Delta, the rule of the Ivinian overlords is weak. Pirates, rebels, and barbarians prowl the marshes, as do more mysterious things. In this bleak wilderness is hidden an esoteric jewel: the lost sanctum of the great mage Bognor.

Bognor’s skill was legendary. His knowledge of living things, especially the green and growing, was without compare. But so too was his pride. He delved too deeply into secrets best left alone, it is said, well past the limits of his understanding.

Nearly a quarter century has passed since Bognor’s demise. Many have tried to find his marvelous home, to uncover his secrets, or plunder his treasures. None have returned. Will the player characters be able to succeed where others have failed? Can they find the wizard’s famous abode and unlock its mysteries? Or will they, too, become victims of Bognor’s folly?

Graham
Beadle
Beadle

#12 Postby Graham » Mon May 18, 2015 11:41 am

Sadly I won'd be able to make this, but I'm hoping that one or both of the scenarios (My preference would be for the second.), will be made available to the wider community after the Con.
'Westron wynde, when wilt thou blow,
The small raine down can raine.
Halea, if my love were in my armes
And I in my bedde again!'

Trad.

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

#13 Postby jpm » Mon May 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Graham wrote:... but I'm hoping that one or both of the scenarios (My preference would be for the second.), will be made available to the wider community after the Con.

You mean I have to write it down? :oops:

john
Constable
Constable

#14 Postby john » Sat May 30, 2015 1:29 pm

I'll be (hopefully) just back from 3 weeks in Italy & France, so unless my homeward flight is disastrously and miraculously off-course, I won't be with you :(
Heroes should be uncommon. They just happen to be the PCs.

blackhorde
Constable
Constable

#15 Postby blackhorde » Sun May 31, 2015 5:21 pm

Huh only an 8hr drive from Dallas. Maybe me and the missus can attend and immerse in the Harnic atmosphere for the weekend.
Fred Ellis aka Blackhorde

Visit Harshlands, 'the' online Harn MUD World
http://www.harshlands.net
"I shower in their tears ..."

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

#16 Postby jpm » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:25 am

Shame on you John! Where will you find a good steak in France and Italy? :lol:

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

#17 Postby jpm » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:26 am

Blackhorde - hope to see you. We'll definitely make it worth the trip...

blackhorde
Constable
Constable

#18 Postby blackhorde » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:00 pm

Alright things are shaping up for the trip. What is recommended to bring along? Do people dress up renfest style for the Larp or Feast? Are there any spots left open for the 30 person feast?

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

#19 Postby jpm » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:32 am

Still slots for the feast. I think I have verbals on about 15 or so. Gretchen who is doing the feast is an SCAer, and she and her assistants will likely be in garb. Most of the rest of us will likely be in shorts or blue jeans and various Con or otherwise fandom related T-shirts. Your welcome to bring more appropriate attire. Nothing wrong with starting a new tradition. I'd welcome any thoughts by attendees on the matter. I just figured no-one really wants to see me in tights anymore.... :lol:

blackhorde
Constable
Constable

#20 Postby blackhorde » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:22 am

Yeeeeeah I don't wear tights but my wife says I look great in a kilt. I go for loose pants/shirt with boots and long belt with stuff dangling. Sometimes a tabard if I am feeling fancy. :) Is it $25 for weekend plus $35 for feast or $35 total for weekend and feast? Just want to know what to paypal ya.

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

#21 Postby jpm » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:43 am

Really wanted to get a Kilt when I was in the old country a few years back but wasn't ready to spend the $1000.00 it would have cost me to get what I wanted...

It's $25 for the weekend plus $35 for the feast or $60 for both the weekend and feast.

blackhorde
Constable
Constable

#22 Postby blackhorde » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:30 am

Keen. Paypal sent and room booked.

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

#23 Postby jpm » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:10 pm

HarnCon 2015 is rapidly approaching. If your planning on attending and haven't booked your room yet I recommend you do so soon. The block of rooms at the Candlewood suites will be released in the next two weeks.

A block of rooms has been reserved at the Candlewood Suites - 10920 Parallel Parkway, Kansas City, KS, USA, 66109. Use the Link (see above in this thread) to reserve a room or contact Cara Galey - 913-788-9929. Group name reference is 'Harn' or 'Harn Convention'. Room rate is $116.99 (Single Occupancy), $124.99 (Double Occupancy) plus applicable taxes.

blackhorde
Constable
Constable

#24 Postby blackhorde » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:57 am

Still spots open at the feast? Bringing a friend on our road trip.

jpm
Reeve
Reeve

#25 Postby jpm » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:11 pm

Still a few slots left for the feast. Also Wednesday the 24th is the last day to register rooms at the reduced rate at the Candlewood Suites. If you need a room and haven't already confirmed space at Hollis please book your room asap.

Also if you haven't registered for events yet at the Warhorn.net site please do so using the link above.

Return to “HârnCon”