Sedris Meleken — Again

For GameMasters who want to ask advice of other GMs, get GMing tips, and talk about plot hooks, gaming aids and accessories of all kinds; things that could make a GM's job easier.

Moderator: Spartan

9ofSwords
Villein
Villein

Sedris Meleken — Again

#1 Post by 9ofSwords » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:55 am

I know this has been covered at length in this forum. Much of it is at Sedris Meleken - what do we know, and when?
http://www.lythia.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... en#p133822
With the re-release of Qualdris, and my own recent efforts to work up a scenario for the disappearance of Earl Sedris Meleken, I thought I might bring it up again.

Castles of Harn was my first Harn purchase, back when I was in high school. Qualdris has always been one of my favorite castles of Harn, possibly because the layout looks a bit like some of my favorite Welsh castles. Ah! and Earl Sedris — Where could he possibly be? What could have possibly happened to him? [Aside: RL, nice update to Sedris . . . mostly to his hairstyle which, per my girlfriend's reading-over-my-shoulder quip, was "so metal"]

The new Qualdris adds mention of 6 men-at-arms who accompanied the earl in pursuit of the manslaughterer, Keldirian. So now the disappeared number at least 7. That adds a bit to the prerequisite for any explanation of Sedris' disappearance, let alone the one I've been working up, which I'll now outline, absent the additiional 6.

Special thanks to Arthan_Heavy_Fist for this idea, used below
Arthan_Heavy_Fist wrote:
Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:05 am
http://www.lythia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9878
One of the men sent to talk to the subject falls from his horse during the tussle and is killed. The subject mounts up on the horse and flees.
The other two men look to thier fallen companion and return to the Earl with the body, who then sets off in a hasty pursuit.
. . .

Keldirian is a go-between for the castle's head cook, Myran of Galzath, who is spying for the Earl of Neph, and his handlers, who receive Myran's communications via Keldirian at an abandoned mine in the hills north of Qualdris. One day, with said communications on his person, Keldirian stops off at The Pig & Whistle to deliver firewood, and have a drink.

The earl, accompanied by a man-at-arms, has been out touring the village on horseback. The man-at-arm's horse has not been eating well. An infected tooth is suspected, but the earl bids his man-at-arms to have the ostler at the inn give a 2nd opinion. Meanwhile, the earl is going to pop in for a visit with Tommas of Cuke, down the road.

In the inn's yard, the earl's man-at-arms remains mounted and calls out to ostler Terrance to have a look at his horse's mouth. The horse is not at all in the mood to have its mouth examined. It is at this moment that, as the ostler and the still-mounted man-at-arms try to cajole his irritable horse into being examined, Keldirian emerges from the inn. His presence, directly behind the horse, spooks it, such that it rears sending the man-at-arms head-over-heels to crack his skull on the stone around the inn's well wall.

Keldirian panics. He has an incriminating letter on him. But he also has riding skill (picked up via some backstory I have yet to create). He grabs the reins of the recalcitrant horse, vaults into the saddle, spurs his stolen mount out of the inn's yard and on down the road, north, out of town.

The earl, about to enjoy a nice Tierzoni wine with Tommas of Cuke beneath a trellis in the mercantyler's garden, easily identifies the horse galloping past, but not it's rider. Of course, he thinks nothing of mounting his own white charger and going in pursuit of the horse thief.

Keldirian proves to be a surprisingly good rider. He has just enough of a head start on the earl, and sufficient tricks up his sleeve to remain one stride ahead. At some point he leaves Nubeth road and heads up the bank of the Siloryne, and then perhaps up another tributary. (I hadn't firmly decided where he was going, but he certainly knows the route better than the earl.)

The chase leads to an abandoned mine, where Keldirian can finally call for backup. Two or three mercenaries under the command of Keldirian's handler manage to surround and dismount the earl. He may be seriously injured at this point, but certainly not dead. At first he would be held prisoner at the abandoned mine, but later perhaps transferred somewhere else, further afield.

. . .

Nobody involved ever wanted this! They're all just supposed to be gathering information on the earl, not taking him captive. Now they're really screwed. Do they inform the Earl of Neph, who may likely be just as taken aback by this turn of events . . . if it were ever traced to him. Might he hire another set of agents, to eliminate the fist set of bunglers, and anonymously free the earl? Or might he in fact figure out some way to ensure the earl's safety, but anonymously ransom him all the same? Almost a year has past. If he even knows about the whole mishap, he'll need to act soon.

. . .

I had been very pleased by the way I've satisfied claims made in canon, but not literally. Canon states that the earl "left Qualdris in pursuit of a freeman . . . who accidentally killed one of the earl's men-at-arms". In my scenario, Keldirian is VERY accidentally involved in the death of the man-at-arms, and is mostly just a horse thief. The earl may not even know that anyone has died, just that his man-at-arms' horse has been stolen . . . and he fully expects that he can overtake the thief. (No need to bring anyone else with him)

The addition of 6 men-at-arms accompanying the earl very much changes the scope of his disappearance. There's been considerable discussion of various world-traveling scenarios to explain the earl's disappearance. Such explanations could easily deal with an additional 6 men. My preference, however, is to keep this whole affair very mundane. One can still do that with an added 6 men, but it seems that either Keldirian must be much more than meets the eye (more than a surprisingly good rider) and/or there is a much larger conspiracy/power-play afoot against the earl.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

Re: Sedris Meleken — Again

#2 Post by MDMann » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:20 pm

It's a tavern?

The additional men were off duty drinking when they heard they Earl call out and poured out, joining the pursuit.
Per Sir Veer.

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Leitchy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:44 pm

What are you asking again? For reasons why there would be six men-at-arms with the Earl, or reasons why there wouldn't? If you are looking to accommodate canon and account for the six men-at-arms but need to find a reason for them to NOT be with the Earl when whatever thing happens to him, then here's an idea:

The men-at-arms rode out with the Earl in pursuit of Keldirian, but because there are a lot of possible paths to ride down, when coming to a fork in the road, the Earl ordered a man to follow it until he was certain the rider they pursued didn't go that way, and then to try to catch up. This happened a lot...

After three days, the final man-at-arms arrived back at the castle, having failed to find the Earl again.

I don't have the new Qualdris and while it mentions the six accompanying the Earl, I'd be surprised if it explicitly say they don't return. It may be strongly indicated they didn't return, but unless it explicitly states "the Earl and the men-at-arms are still missing", then who's to say they are still with the Earl or not.

Of course, if the article DOES say the six are still missing, then there's a whole bunch of other story that needs to be sorted. :)

I wouldn't have any problems at all accommodating two men-at-arms with the Earl when...the "thing" happens. I like the idea of Keldirian, the Earl, and two men-at-arms all being hurled off Kethira via some random magical event (i.e., an unknown Barasi Point) and ending up...who knows where! Sounds like the start of a campaign to me!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#4 Post by Targan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Leitchy wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:44 pm
I don't have the new Qualdris and while it mentions the six accompanying the Earl, I'd be surprised if it explicitly say they don't return. It may be strongly indicated they didn't return, but unless it explicitly states "the Earl and the men-at-arms are still missing", then who's to say they are still with the Earl or not.
It explicitly states they didn't return. Their barracks room remains empty and the Serolan has no intention of replacing them in the short term.

Now, that's not to say whether they're still with the Earl or not, but as there's no canon explanation of the Earl's whereabouts or disposition, it would be strange if it did explicitly say whether the six men at arms remain with the Earl.
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli

9ofSwords
Villein
Villein

#5 Post by 9ofSwords » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:51 pm

Here are the two passages from the new Qualdris that give us new information re the earl's disappearance:
pg2 Military — The Osel Guard is somewhat under strength but Lady Thilisa is reluctant to replace the men who accompanied the missing earl or those who have been lost searching for him.
pg10 [4] Guard Quarters — The two triple bunks in this chamber usually house six men-at- arms, but are currently empty. The men assigned here accompanied the Earl of Osel when he departed eight months ago.

I'm just looking to discuss the Earl's disappearance in light of the new info. If someone sees a way I can keep the narrative I had been developing intact, while also accommodating the new info, great. Otherwise, either I abandon/modify that narrative or I disregard the new canon. I'd expect that some folks here already have their own narratives, into which 6 missing men-at-arms can be easily accommodated. I'd enjoy hearing about them.

If I were to revise my scenario to accommodate the new info, I'd probably still keep the encounter in the inn yard, but not have the earl visiting Tommas, down the road. Instead, word gets to the castle, the earl assembles his 6 men, and Keldirian has several hours head start. The search party knows only in what direction he rode out of town.

The earl's party never comes close to finding Keldirian. Rather, they wander, following a number of false leads, until they're far afield. Somewhere, either in the hills west of the Pagos Forest or in the Forest of Tamor, they encounter a Paegelin raiding party. They are overwhelmed, the men-at-arms all slain and the earl taken captive. He may now be held at Bejist.

Or, I'd want the earl's party to travel to the hills north of Hutop, on the Osel/Thel border. On the other side of those hills, on the river Habim, is where I've located the chapterhouse of The White Rays (Harn Pottage III). I'd enjoy having The White Rays rescue the earl. The problem is that I don't know what the party would encounter there that would have killed, captured, or otherwise incapacitated 6 men-at-arms AND would have kept the earl alive and out of sight for over 8 months.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention: I very much want Sedris to be alive, and to return to Qualdris . . . perhaps to die in battle over the Succession, but not by some accident while out chasing a criminal.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#6 Post by Rothesay » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:07 am

It never occurred to me an earl would go off on his own like the Lone Ranger without Tonto. Six seemed a reasonable number. As to what happened to them, that's beyond scope. :wink:

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#7 Post by MDMann » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:18 am

A few popular places to place Sedris are:

A homeless man with amnesia on the streets of Tashal.

Trapped in a fugue state regaining his youth (together with his target) in the hot springs of the Riddlemaster.

Cursed to be a stone statue in Panagas tower in Yashain.
Per Sir Veer.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#8 Post by Rothesay » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:45 am

MDMann wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:18 am
A homeless man with amnesia on the streets of Tashal.
This is what I did per the FFF character. On the plus side, it means the new Sedris illo can be repurposed for Baran Meleken. 8)

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#9 Post by Targan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:15 am

MDMann wrote:
That's the one I've been strongly considering, but I haven't quite joined the dots as to how he came into contact with Panaga.

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#10 Post by Derfman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:19 pm

I can claim credit for the idea of placing him in Panaga's collection of statues.

Truth is, the idea is far more of a way of pointing out just how useful that spell is (some version of Tovel's Rest, Odivshe) as a 'plot device' for a GM.

The Earl is just one possibility, and don't limit yourself to Panaga victims either.

Only problem with it is that it should not be overused, maybe once or twice is a campaign as a plot device tool.

Derfman
Knight
Knight

#11 Post by Derfman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:22 pm

Targan wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:15 am
MDMann wrote:
That's the one I've been strongly considering, but I haven't quite joined the dots as to how he came into contact with Panaga.
Homeless with amnesia ==AND== frozen with Tovel's Rest in Panaga's gallery???
That's just cruel....

Edit:
On a separate note, as to how Sedris encountered Panaga, they met on the road and Panaga (who has always had some megalomania, but it has been getting a lot worse in recent years) refused to make way for a mere Earl and did not bother to hide his opinion....

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#12 Post by Krazma » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Just a minor side note: Topics like this are probably better placed in the Bazaar of the GM forum, like the original thread you referenced. Maybe a moderator will move it?

In any event, disposing of the men-at-arms seems to me the easier part of the question. The real mystery is, of course, what has left the earl missing for this long. A few of the options are:
  • Dead. Figuring out who or what is responsible (and -- if applicable -- bringing them to justice) could be a campaign by itself.
  • Prisoner (mundane). Some worldly agency has captured the earl and holds him (secretly) for reasons known only to them (and the GM).
  • Prisoner (magical). Same as mundane, but magical or divine powers are involved. Panaga, a lonely dryad, or other culprit can be used for this.
  • Lost (mundane). This is, on the surface, harder to explain without resorting to something like amnesia.
  • Lost (magical). Barasi points, Godstones, or other forces have placed the earl somewhere beyond his ability to get home. In my current campaign, he ended up passing through the Barasi Point of V'Shala to Ssanimar (see the Ilme article).

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#13 Post by Rothesay » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Krazma is right - probably better in the Bazaar.

It does seem to me that the best outcome for the six is to share the fate of the Earl. The more likely is they perished in the event of whatever fate befell him ... 8O

Of course, that could have left some interesting clues. :wink:

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#14 Post by Targan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Krazma wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:26 pm
[*]Lost (magical). Barasi points, Godstones, or other forces have placed the earl somewhere beyond his ability to get home. In my current campaign, he ended up passing through the Barasi Point of V'Shala to Ssanimar (see the Ilme article).
Very cool. Can people normally just pass through a Barasi point without themselves or someone else "activating" it? What were the circumstances (if you don't mind briefly outlining them)?

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by Leitchy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:42 am

I treat Barasi Points as kinda like a wormhole between one place and another...and both ends of the tunnel like very similar. So you can't pass from a Barasi Point in the glade of a forest into the burning heart of a star, for example. I imagine the point's surface (the event horizon?) will appear to ripple or be just slightly distorted, something that makes curious monkeys like we humans go "What is that? Let's get closer and se....oh, schnouzers!"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There is no "activation" required; Barasi Points in my p-Harn are always on. Anything with animal intelligence will steer clear of it though.

I haven't run the Meleken story but I had been prepared for that eventuality and had given it some thought many years ago; in my thinking, the Earl and his men had caught up to Keldirian, captured him and were on the way back when they were ambushed by Pagaelin with a Navehan priest in charge. The Pagaelin wanted prisoners to sacrifice to the demon of Bejist but the ambush didn't exactly go as planned because of the skill and bravery of the men-at-arms, but the Pagaelin had just too many men. The Earl and Keldirian fled while the last men-at-arms covered their retreat, straight into a Barasi Point they didn't even see...and ended up on an alternative Kethira where magic is MUCH stronger...

...and that's as far as I got. :)
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#16 Post by Krazma » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:38 am

Targan wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:43 pm
Krazma wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:26 pm
[*]Lost (magical). Barasi points, Godstones, or other forces have placed the earl somewhere beyond his ability to get home. In my current campaign, he ended up passing through the Barasi Point of V'Shala to Ssanimar (see the Ilme article).
Very cool. Can people normally just pass through a Barasi point without themselves or someone else "activating" it? What were the circumstances (if you don't mind briefly outlining them)?
Yes, sometimes people are unaware that they have passed through a Barasi point because the environment at both ends is so similar.
Barasi Points are natural portals between worlds. Dozens exist throughout Kethira, although the Shava Forest on Hârn has a particularly high concentration. The environment at each end of a Barasi Point is always very similar. Unskilled users may not realize for some time they have changed locations, and may never discover they have actually changed worlds.
The circumstances in my campaign were that the Earl had run afoul of a Pagaelin tribe under the influence of a Navehan "augur" and barely escaped with his life into the Ilmen Marsh. He was assisted first by the Ilvirans on Krog Island (see Tontury Lake 7), and then by Rolyn of Dremel (see Ilme 2). Rolyn used his influence with the meredragons to take the wounded knight to an elder Ilme named Bhalavishram Dreamwalker at the Gate, who had taken up residence at V'shala. Bhal healed Sedris; however during the earl's convalescence, he was able to discern enough about V'shala and Ssanimar from the assortment of lies and misdirections of the Ilme (and a little experimenting with Ssilvatha -- see Ilme 7) that he understood that V'shala was a gateway between worlds. Having learned of the threat posed by the Ahnaka to Hârn, the earl passed through to try to stop it. Later, my PCs (who had been tracking down the earl) followed suit, and are currently in the process of "rescuing" him from Ssanimar.

I've got a nice Atlas Map of Ssanimar that Oddgeir Drevdal made, if anyone's interested. I've been holding off posting it as fanon until after my players completed their adventures there. However, I suppose they're far enough along at this point that I wouldn't be giving anything away by making it available. I'll try to get that sent to Leitchy soon.

Targan
Yeoman
Yeoman

#17 Post by Targan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:22 am

Krazma wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:38 am
I've got a nice Atlas Map of Ssanimar that Oddgeir Drevdal made, if anyone's interested.
Yes please :)

9ofSwords
Villein
Villein

#18 Post by 9ofSwords » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:18 pm

An encounter with the Paegelin is indeed an excellent way to get rid of 6 men, and passing the earl from tribe to augur, and then on to Bejist is an easy way to eat up 9+ months. I'm toying with an idea that would have him simply show up, back at Qualdris, seemingly the same old earl, but unable to recall any of the details of his absence. In truth the Navehans have bent him to their will, to carry out some mission, planted in the earl's subconscious and not evident even to the earl until correct circumstances arise.

Use of a dryad would be another useful way to explain a scenario where the earl returns of his own accord. Though I don't imagine that a year-and-a-day dalliance with a dryad is usually accompanied with amnesia, so he should be able to offer an explanation for the missing 6. Admission of such a dalliance to his wife might have interesting consequences for any chance of domestic bliss inside Caer Qualdris!

I could keep to my original abandoned mine locale. The earl's party would have tracked Keldirian to the mine, but a tunnel collapse kills the 6, leaving Keldirian and the earl alive, but trapped . . . but with 9 months of food available (??) . . . it all seems a little far-fetched.

In any of these scenarios, I'd want to consider the fate of all the horses in the earl's party. Anyone searching for the earl would certainly listen for stories of horses found wandering without riders, etc., and the earl's white charger isn't likely to go unnoticed. I know very little about horses. Would the horses of the men-at-arms be warhorses? Would they also be easy to distinguish from other horses (once all the barding has been removed), say in possession of a Paegelin tribe, or put up for sale somewhere in southern Kaldor?

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#19 Post by Krazma » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:43 am

Discovery of one or more of the horses would certainly be a major break in the search for the missing earl. There could easily be an Ostler's mark on any gear, and/or a distinctive brand on the animal. Tancindar (the earl's white changer) is going to be a valuable prize for someone, if he yet lives. The other horses are arguably warhorses in the sense that they are meant for battle (vs a typical palfrey), but certainly not of the level of quality reserved for a wealthy knight.

As for dalliances with dryads, see Spirit Folk 5 for details.

9ofSwords
Villein
Villein

#20 Post by 9ofSwords » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Ah yes, branding! That hadn't occurred to me. Thanks.

And now I'd like to contemplate what is either an add-on to my various scenarios above or a different reason for the earl's disappearance altogether.

I'm sure many have played Merik Elendsa's death in 719 as murder. I can't find any claim in canon as to the exact month of his death. If we place it early in the year, it will have come just months before Earl Meleken's disappearance. An idea is to have Sedris investigating Merik's death, perhaps at the behest of Miginath himself. Would that seem credible?

The earl's disappearance could still be completely unrelated to his investigation. But if the two are connected, then Keldirian and Myran Galzath could be spying for whoever had Merik murdered. Seems to me the most likely candidates there would be Earl Dariune or Maldan Harabor . . . or possibly Maldan's wife, Areta Alkinil (Maldan may have been too fond of his uncle to have carried it out himself, and Areta took matters into her own hands).

If Keldirian and Myran were actively trying to foil an investigation rather than casually collecting info, then Keldirian could very well have had a force to call to his defense, sufficient to kill and/or capture the earl +6. Then it remains for me to figure out how Sedris is left to live, what he might find out about Merik's murder during captivity, how his escape/rescue is managed, and what the fallout is for Merik's murderer and for the Succession Crisis.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#21 Post by MDMann » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:07 am

Balim doesn't really have motive for Merik’s death as it hurts his position, precipitating a succession crisis. If you'd like a major peer than the Earl of Neph is possibly the best candidate as he stands to gain the most from any chaos. He's also positioned his son for the vacancy for sheriff.

For the horses, they're likely light warhorses, rounceys or hunters. Something light horsemen might ride as scouts. Trained for battle but not heavy melee.
Per Sir Veer.

9ofSwords
Villein
Villein

#22 Post by 9ofSwords » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Now that I've done some more reading on the Succession, I agree that Dariune doesn't stand to gain by Merik's death. Curo could stand to gain, but I don't see him having the motive to go so far as to murder an Elendsa. I could find only one passage suggesting he might:

Gardiren pg28 -- Sir Halach Nytarun
Sir Halach manages the earl’s considerable resources to ensure Clan Curo is a contender for the throne after King Miginath’s death. . . . Both men intend to reverse Clan Elendsa’s “theft of the throne” in 603.

But that's an outlier for any characterization I've seen of Curo, as shown earlier in Gardiren:

Gardiren pg4 -- Succession Politics
Earl Curo has a distant but good claim to the throne should Clan Elendsa fail to provide an agreeable heir. He would, however, likely support the next legally selected Elendsa clanhead if he was assured of sufficient benefits for his own clan. His great desire is for the return of the clan’s former holdings. He also wishes for his sons to be granted the offices of Rekela of Serelind and Sheriff of Oselshire.

Yes, he wants his son to be Sheriff of Oselshire, but that's given that the seat is vacant. I don't think he would have had Merik murdered for it . . . Unless Curo had been in negotiations with Merik re the succession, and Curo came to discover that Merik was double-dealing -- promising the same things to Dariune, for instance. There's a possibility!

Still I'd say, hands down, Maldan Harabor stands to gain the most from Merik's demise.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#23 Post by MDMann » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:26 pm

Maldan has good motive but I'm not sure he'd do it. He could be ruthless enough but it's a high risk gambit without sufficient reward. He'd be better off killing him off after Miginath’s death. He may even have had plans or agents in place to effect such. His son Mirild though is just vicious and stupid enough to try it.
Per Sir Veer.