Out of Character

Forum for the PBEM game "A Shower of Silver".

Moderator: Kettenhund

Kettenhund
Cottar
Cottar

Out of Character

#1 Post by Kettenhund » Wed May 17, 2017 10:21 am

Hail and Well Met! Lets start a muster. Who is here and going to play whom? There are plenty of characters still available as only Goryss and Kalas have been spoken for...

I'll get the In Character up soon so we can begin play.

Thanks again to Leitchy for creating this Forum and allowing me to host the game here.

John

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Out of Character

#2 Post by Rothesay » Wed May 17, 2017 3:41 pm

[Ryssi]

I'm here as Ryssi of Chert!

I know you said you don't have HMR, but I think we can manage depending on how you plan to adjudicate the rules. I'm sure you'll explain that. 8)

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by MDMann » Wed May 17, 2017 7:40 pm

If there's still a spot I'll throw in as Harlin of Kleve, journeyman ostler. Of course were expecting our second daughter any day now so my posting could be ... eratic.
Per Sir Veer.

Kettenhund
Cottar
Cottar

#4 Post by Kettenhund » Wed May 17, 2017 11:42 pm

Two new players! we are filling up fast :D ,

so the roster I have so far is:

zraayan as Goryss

gmkeiros as Kalas

Rothesay as Ryssi

and MDMann as Harlin

still two characters open...If there is more interest than that, perhaps I could work some other characters in.

I'm off to work so some quick thoughts.

To MDMann's comment about a second daughter on the way, CONGRATS! I'll do my best to get in a post a day, once we start. Real life (TM) being what it is with 3 kids and full time work and 4 dogs I'm sure that I wont always meet that lofty goal. For those who are sporadic hopefully in this play by forum medium it will be easier to explain away where they are and what they are doing since we are all not constrained to gathering around the table top.

To Rothesay's point about how I plan to adjudicate the rules: I think the story will move along if you just let me know what you are attempting to do and let me handle the mechanics and dice behind the scenes. I'll then just explain how its working out in narrative as your character would experience it. It's more immersive, moves faster and is a "role" playing experience. If you really want to throw your own dice at home I don't have a problem with the trust aspect because this is collaborative fun, not GM vs players, I just think it slows down what is already a slow medium as it is in play by forum gaming. I'm open to discuss of course. Along with that, giving me several options as you write what your up to will help.

Rothesay, as far as not having HM Religion we can work out in PM's how your rituals and piety work. I'll need some assistance of course. My PHarn in the past has always been very gritty Low, low magic and fantasy with few magical or religious characters so I was able to handle the supernatural and magical through GM fiat. She's an important character to the campaign so we will work together on this. It should go without saying that everyone of you knows her in some way and is friendly towards Ryssi.

On the Interest check thread Rothesay jokingly brought up that I was taking on a lot by having three or so GM's as players. I absolutely believe all of you have way more Harn experience than I do. I'm going to bring enthusiasm and a desire to run a collaborative and fun game for us all in a PHarn that may be slightly different from your collective expectations from time to time. Nothing really wonky like introducing firearms or changing Canon significantly, I like the setting as written. However, if your idea of fun is nit picking every detail because it does not fit in with how you "see" Harn, this might not be the game for you.

Questions, comments, Tomatoes thrown yet?

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#5 Post by MDMann » Wed May 17, 2017 11:53 pm

Thanks. :)

For Firearms in Harn see Bill Gants article on the forum....
Per Sir Veer.

Kaliklak
Woodward
Woodward

#6 Post by Kaliklak » Thu May 18, 2017 12:49 am

I'll join as Lysha if that's acceptable. I'm fairly familiar with the characters as I've recently used them running 3 Brothers Barrow as a one-shot intro to Harn for two different groups of players. These PCs are wonderfully fleshed out and are great for starting a game without the massive time investment of PC generation.
Ia Araka Kalai! Ilvir Fhtagn!

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#7 Post by Rothesay » Thu May 18, 2017 7:12 am

MDMann wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 7:40 pm
Of course were expecting our second daughter any day now so my posting could be ... eratic.
Congrats!

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#8 Post by Rothesay » Thu May 18, 2017 7:17 am

That adjudication is fine by me - it's how I did it. There are online dice rollers these days, but I find them more of a nuisance than help.

I'm also ok with handling the Religion rules that way. I think I can send you a short summary at some point if that's helpful. 8)

On pHarns - I find this a chance to explore a relatively unimportant personage. IMC, I tend to play great and small, but the former are very prevalent. While I have deeply ingrained ideas about their personalities, I can certainly put those aside, and I doubt we'll be socializing with them anyway. :lol:

Kettenhund
Cottar
Cottar

#9 Post by Kettenhund » Fri May 19, 2017 1:05 pm

so the roster I have now is:

zraayan as Goryss

gmkeiros as Kalas

Rothesay as Ryssi

and MDMann as Harlin

and welcome to Kaliklak as Lysha

Man, nobody digs Ondren of Lemra....

Almost full up.

My goal is to get the first post up, In character, this weekend so you all can start play.

Initially you'll just be keeping the Constables peace as fill in guards for the Market day and the Circus on the Ostler's common. Except Ryssi, who will be with you all as she is on friendly terms with everyone for one reason or another and has been offered the hospitality of the Constables of Jedes Hall while he muses on the prophecy she brought him from Bromeleon, by way of the Sheriff at Hutop.

ADMIN EDIT: Post Count 15

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#10 Post by MDMann » Fri May 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Thanks Rothesay!

What's the outcome to a shower of silver and its impact on us?
Per Sir Veer.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#11 Post by MDMann » Sat May 20, 2017 7:49 pm

2nd baby daughter born a few hours ago. 6lbs 13oz mother and baby doing well. Daddy's doing pretty well too (on no sleep)! My posting could be somewhat erratic. :D 8O

ADMIN EDIT: Post Count 1667
Per Sir Veer.

Leitchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by Leitchy » Sat May 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Congrats!
Cheers

Leitchy
Site Admin
FAQs & Links

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#13 Post by Rothesay » Sun May 21, 2017 1:00 am

MDMann wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 7:49 pm
2nd baby daughter born a few hours ago. 6lbs 13oz mother and baby doing well. Daddy's doing pretty well too (on no sleep)! My posting could be somewhat erratic. :D 8O

ADMIN EDIT: Post Count 1667
Nice! :D

Edit: Hey! Post count went up to 5594! Maybe it was singing the song over on the other thread that did it!

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#14 Post by MDMann » Sun May 21, 2017 2:45 am

Thanks both. Super stoked. Super tired. Happy days
Per Sir Veer.

Lazy_Serf
Cottar
Cottar

#15 Post by Lazy_Serf » Sun May 21, 2017 4:23 pm

If Ondren of Lemra is still available, I'd love to join.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#16 Post by Rothesay » Mon May 22, 2017 4:51 am

MDMann wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 3:37 pm
What's the outcome to a shower of silver and its impact on us?
If I read it correctly, we solved a murder mystery where a girl from the village was killed by some circus performers. Took a day to solve? The constable was pleased and gave the group some cushy guard duty and maybe more employment to come. Except for Ryssi, who's apparently cooling her heels in the keep waiting for the constable to read a letter she brought.

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

#17 Post by zrayaan » Mon May 22, 2017 5:10 am

I just realized this forum is for us. Welcome all!
Cheers, Konnel.

Eshâyaél | Green & Pleasant Land

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#18 Post by MDMann » Mon May 22, 2017 5:34 am

Indeed. But was one murderer punished or two? How did the final denouement go? Big fight, chase, blaming each other? Was the gentle giant killed? Have they been hung yet?

Are we employed for the week still or has it been extended?
Per Sir Veer.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#19 Post by Rothesay » Mon May 22, 2017 6:08 am

Good questions for our esteemed GM.

Kettenhund
Cottar
Cottar

#20 Post by Kettenhund » Mon May 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Welcome Lazy Serf, rounding out the Party as Ondren of Lemra!

Congratulations are most in order for MDMann! I'm very happy for the healthy baby you have had! Good Work! :D

So feel free to post what you'd like to do in character and role play with each other, I'll handle any contact you have with the rest of the world

feel free to discuss whos going to do what with whom during this large gathering you are all RESPONSIBLE for keeping the peace at in out of character and start posting in character just to shake out the cobwebs and breathe life into the personalities you are playing.

It's about two hours after sunup, the funeral and then service outside the chapel on the common has just broke up and the hundreds or people are starting to surge north to the circus, Inn and Market stalls and clan gatherings all around the village...

the six of you are in front of #30 the Chapel near the Gibbet trail, its cold, yet warming up as the sun as gone higher with a gentle breeze out of the southwest, rain clouds are slowly building far off to the south as well...

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#21 Post by Rothesay » Mon May 22, 2017 1:56 pm

Just an observation that Hamis of Guinas should not be termed a 'reslava' which is a mendicant. He seems to be assigned to the church at Jedes.

Ryssi, who may or may not be on the path to being a reslava, will have participated in the service as a congregant and not in her office as a priestess (after assisting with the preparations). Young for her position, she has not yet decided what her role in the Order of the Balm of Joy will be. The goddess will provide guidance for her path - or so she believes.

That having been said, Ryssi is committed and devout, and imagines her role to be gentle suggestions on the right thing to do. Beyond that, she does not know, and has the humility to accept that she does not always know what that is.

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

#22 Post by zrayaan » Mon May 22, 2017 3:15 pm

Congrats to MDMann.

I would like to settle the choice of denouement, unless I missed it. Any of the possibilities is fine, but for the sake of simplicity I vote "Flight" and both are in a holding cell.
Cheers, Konnel.

gmkeros
Woodward
Woodward

#23 Post by gmkeros » Mon May 22, 2017 4:30 pm

Oh cool, our own subforum. Sorry for the late reply, I was reading the threads but was a bit preoccupied by work and family this last week.

Kettenhund
Cottar
Cottar

#24 Post by Kettenhund » Tue May 23, 2017 1:52 pm

welcome home gmkeros, feel free to catch up in reading and then start posting as Kalas. :D

zrayaan
Knight
Knight

#25 Post by zrayaan » Thu May 25, 2017 9:01 pm

MDMann, If I understand the geography then Gorrys, Lysha, and Kalas are a bit far afield for conversation.
Cheers, Konnel.