Harncon 2017

A forum to discuss topics replated to the organsiation, running, or post-Con windup of the current HârnCon, wherever it may be held.

Moderators: Spartan, NicktheLemming

St Benedict
Half Villein
Half Villein

Harncon 2017

#1 Post by St Benedict » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:38 am

Greetings, just wondering if anyone is planning to host a Harncon this year and saw that planning was underway across the pond. We have held two in Kansas City and have had a regional gathering here on other years. Not sure I am ready to host again (last one was in 2015), but might if no one else steps up. My good dates right now are July 14-16, 21-23 and 28-30. Any comments, suggestions or offers are welcome.
Peace,
Dave Mareske, Hollis Center

Sageryne
Knight
Knight

Re: Harncon 2017

#2 Post by Sageryne » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:26 am

Hi Dave,

I would love to see HarnCon at the Hollis Center in Kansas City again. I would come. Any of the three dates mentioned would work for me.

- Kerry
Well, my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle. - Mal, Firefly.

bbailey
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by bbailey » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:37 am

I could almost certainly attend any of those weekends, possibly with 2-3 other people as well.

Nemoralis
Half Villein
Half Villein

#4 Post by Nemoralis » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:35 am

Hi Dave,

I'd absolutely make it to Harncon if at Hollis again. Also, it's not set in stone yet but looks like my next posting will be in KC for the Truman Library.

Thanks!

Will

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#5 Post by Krazma » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:08 am

I love Hollis. Pick a weekend; I'll be there.

-Rob

St Benedict
Half Villein
Half Villein

#6 Post by St Benedict » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:44 am

Nemoralis wrote:Hi Dave,

I'd absolutely make it to Harncon if at Hollis again. Also, it's not set in stone yet but looks like my next posting will be in KC for the Truman Library.

Thanks!

Will
Maybe we could put together a short Harn campaign when you are here...if that transpires.
Peace,

Bravesteel
Cottar
Cottar

#7 Post by Bravesteel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:25 am

I would definitely come. I'm just down the road in Leavenworth, so it would be an easy decision for me! :)
"A knight protects those who cannot protect themselves."

St Benedict
Half Villein
Half Villein

#8 Post by St Benedict » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:05 am

Here is what is being planned so far for Harn Moot at Hollis Center Kansas City KS, July 14-16, not a Con, but Harn players or those wanting to role-play together are invited.
We will start off Friday evening about 5 PM with dinner together...cookout, really good hot dogs, chips, sides, drinks

Sessions:
Friday Evening A, Death in the Clouds
System: Star Wars (D6)
Players: 5-7
A continuation of last year’s adventure, this scenario has the crew of the Ascendant Phoenix braving the ion storms of the gas giant Adriana to recover a valuable cargo before pirates or the Empire can catch them.
Friday Evening B, Open

Saturday Morning A, Open
Saturday Morning B, Generate a HarnMaster 3 character...it takes time, go through a short pre-game adventure. 4-6 Players.

Saturday Afternoon A, The Dreaming Isle
System: HârnMaster 3rd Edition
Players: 4-6
Part one of a two-part adventure using the upcoming Ridow article. The PCs find themselves on the island of Gyzem in the Gulf of Ederwyn, trying to make sense of a mysterious artifact and a cryptic warning.
Saturday Afternoon B, Play the characters generated in the morning, 4-6 players

Saturday Evening A, The Lost City
System: HârnMaster 3rd Edition
Part two of the Ridow adventure. The PCs enter the lost city, risking their lives and sanity to unravel the mystery of the Earthmasters.
Saturday Evening B, "Here There be Dragons"
Set in the Ilmen Marsh, six male Ilme (the PCs) gather for a moot and must maneuver their way through an array of interlopers and their own bizarre culture to emerge preeminent among their peers.

Sunday Morning A, Open
Sunday Morning B, Open

What can you do? Let me know you are coming. If you are willing to GM a session, pick a time slot and give me description of the adventure or concept. Bring snacks/food to share.

Cost? If you are wanting to stay at Hollis, cost is $50/night, some beds still available. Otherwise, donations for food, facility space and snacks will be accepted at the event or you can PayPal me at: dmareske@gmail.com
Questions?
Peace,

blackhorde
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by blackhorde » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:30 am

Wife and I would be interested in playing some HM if there are seats open.
Fred Ellis aka Blackhorde

Visit Harshlands, 'the' online Harn MUD World
http://www.harshlands.net
"I shower in their tears ..."

St Benedict
Half Villein
Half Villein

#10 Post by St Benedict » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Plenty of seats at the table.
Peace,

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#11 Post by Krazma » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:08 am

Blackhorde and Bravesteel --

Have you confirmed yet whether you will be attending?

Anyone else?

blackhorde
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by blackhorde » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:51 pm

Will be there. :)

balgashang
Reeve
Reeve

#13 Post by balgashang » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:02 am

I might be able to make it

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#14 Post by Krazma » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:27 am

Awesome! Hope to see you there!

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#15 Post by Krazma » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:13 am

Greetings Players and GMs,
We are officially less than one week away. Here is the final, but still alterable schedule for the Moot, July 14-16 at the Hollis Center’s Lodge.
A few general things: bring your own drinks/libations for you to consume for the weekend and some to share. The Lodge has AC, plenty of restrooms, and lots of fridge space. There is no cost for the Moot, but we hope that you could donate and help add to the donation to Hollis for the gaming space. It looks like we will have enough players to have two sessions going at all times. There are a couple people just coming for Saturday. Please be on time for session start times.

FRIDAY

5 PM Cookout. We will provide burgers, dogs and buns. Bring a side to share.

7 PM Sessions

Title: Death in the Clouds
GM: Rob Barnes
System: Star Wars (D6)
Players: 6 is ideal. Can accommodate 7 or 8 if no one objects to playing a droid character. Would prefer to not run with less than 5.
Summary: A continuation of last year’s adventure, this scenario has the crew of the Ascendant Phoenix braving the ion storms of the gas giant Adriana to recover a valuable cargo before pirates or the Empire can catch them.

Title: Hunted Past
GM: Dave Mareske
System: Harnmaster3
Players: 4-7
Summary: A girl has gone missing from a quiet village in Kaldor, but she has been acting strange. Find the girl and avoid any political entanglements. Characters provided.

SATURDAY

Breakfast on your own

9 AM Sessions

Title: Make a Harnmaster 3 Character
System: HM3
Players: 4-6 is ideal, or as few as 3.
Summary: Dave will guide you through a detailed character creation process with the intent that we will play the characters created in the next session. The setting will be in the northern Kanday and southern Rethem regions of Harn.

Title: Here there be Dragons
GM: Patrick McDonald
System: Fate Core
Players: 6 is ideal. See character sheets on Harn Forum in Clan Moot under GenCon. Can accommodate 7 or 8 either an Ergath or Rolyn (crazy flethrane addicted Fyvrian mage)
Summary: Ilme moot becomes a challenge as the players must use their wits to avoid violent conflict with their increasingly violent interlopers in the Marsh.

2 PM Sessions

Title: The Dreaming Isle
Players: 4-6 is ideal. Can accommodate 7-8 if needed, or as few as 3.
Summary: Part one of a two-part adventure utilizing material from the upcoming Ridow article. The PCs find themselves shipwrecked on the remote island of Gyzem in the heart of the stormy Gulf of Ederwyn, trying to make sense of a mysterious artifact and a cryptic warning.

Title: Play your Harnmaster 3 Character
Players: 4-6 is ideal, or as few as 3.
Summary: The characters will be forced into a unique situation where they have to comply or lose their lives. For those not participating in the morning session, prepared characters will be given out.

Dinner
We will take some orders for pizza and all chip in for the costs.

7 PM Sessions

Title: The Lost City
Players: 4-6 is ideal. Can accommodate 7-8 if needed, or as few as 3.
Summary: Part two of the Ridow adventure. Having survived the perils of the Dreaming Isle, the PCs enter the lost city, risking their lives and sanity to unravel the mystery of the Earthmasters.

Title: Ilvir's Eggs
GM: Will Wisner
System: Savage Worlds
Summary: The party is sent to the far northern Kaldoric fief of Falkath to investigate the latest in what appears to be an explosion of Ivashu population in the Meselyneshire.

Late night Harn talks with single malt…or your favorite beverage.

SUNDAY

Breakfast on your own

9 AM Sessions

Title: Ilvir's Eggs
GM: Will Wisner
System: Savage Worlds
Summary: The party is sent to the far northern Kaldoric fief of Falkath to investigate the latest in what appears to be an explosion of Ivashu population in the Meselyneshire.

Title: Here there be Dragons
GM: Patrick McDonald
System: Fate Core
Players: 6 is ideal. See character sheets on Harn Forum in Clan Moot under GenCon. Can accommodate 7 or 8 either an Ergath or Rolyn (crazy flethrane addicted Fyvrian mage)
Summary: Ilme moot becomes a challenge as the players must use their wits to avoid violent conflict with their increasingly violent interlopers in the Marsh.
Last edited by Krazma on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

balgashang
Reeve
Reeve

#16 Post by balgashang » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:56 am

And work changes my schedule, looking like I won't make it after all

blackhorde
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by blackhorde » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:02 am

balgashang wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:56 am
And work changes my schedule, looking like I won't make it after all
Maybe next time!

blackhorde
Site Admin
Site Admin

#18 Post by blackhorde » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:13 am

Good time had by all. Thanks for hosting, Dave!

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#19 Post by MDMann » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:55 am

So, new fanon? ...
Per Sir Veer.

Darkra
Half Villein
Half Villein

#20 Post by Darkra » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:56 am

I so wish I could have attended this! How did it go?

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#21 Post by Krazma » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:19 am

I thought it went great.

We decided to change the order of events to better suit everyone's schedules, but all the above games got run. I had a great time, and -- at least as far as I could tell -- so did everyone else.

As for new fanon...
The Ridow scenario was partly a play test and will certainly influence the development of the canon article. I believe Pat McDonald has already stated his intention to publish the characters from his scenario in FFF format. I don't know what Will or Dave have in mind regarding their scenarios.

Additionally, as is usual at these gatherings, there was a great deal of wonderful discussion to fire everyone's creativity. I won't be at all surprised if some of that leads to either fanon or canon in the future.

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

#22 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:47 am

How did Haunted Past go? Feedback would be awesome. Lately I've been thinking of revisiting the Bifyrd-Feron stuff and updating the characters for FFF.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#23 Post by Krazma » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Brénan-al-Saél wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:47 am
How did Haunted Past go? Feedback would be awesome. Lately I've been thinking of revisiting the Bifyrd-Feron stuff and updating the characters for FFF.
A Bifyrd-Feron FFF would be great.

I thought it was fun. I played Forissa, so I enjoyed trying to convince various characters to do the right thing. Turns out, that was more successful against other PCs than with the Laranian clergy we had to rely on to arrest the murderous noble. Despite our best efforts, he got away with it, albeit with a deeply damaged reputation.

My only criticism of the scenario was the presence of the Gargun shaman. In canon, Foulspawn don't have religion, let alone shamanic occupations, so it presented a confusing situation where we weren't sure whether we ought to regard that as a part of the mystery. If you update the adventure, clarifying how that fits in might be a good thing.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#24 Post by MDMann » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:44 pm

The shaman could be irreligious, with no clerical overtones, not even animism or totemism.
Per Sir Veer.

Brénan-al-Saél
Reeve
Reeve

#25 Post by Brénan-al-Saél » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:00 am

Krazma wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 pm
My only criticism of the scenario was the presence of the Gargun shaman. In canon, Foulspawn don't have religion, let alone shamanic occupations, so it presented a confusing situation where we weren't sure whether we ought to regard that as a part of the mystery. If you update the adventure, clarifying how that fits in might be a good thing.
Thanks for pointing this out. I see how introducing background material that "stretches" canon might pull players familiar with canon in an unintended direction when they are trying to solve the mystery. That said, my pHarn has always been a bit loose when it comes to Gargun culture. I tend to throw in bizarre twists to keep players guessing, as it makes the Gargun more complex than just combatants. A bit more background info about the shaman would definitely help out the GM in this case though.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian McNeilly
Burnaby BC Canada
bmcneilly@shaw.ca