Boards to discuss Hârn, HârnWorld, HârnMaster, and RPGs in general.
Links - Home - Kelestia Productions - Columbia Games Inc
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:14 am 
Knight
Knight

Hi all,

Well, HarnCon VIII - San Diego is barely past, and HarnCon IX - Wellington is yet to come. We discussed the topic of the next con over dinner (and a few drinks). I am heartily looking forward to HarnCon IX in Wellington, however not everyone will have the opportunity to go to this special Middle Earth con. North America's next summer is just 12 months away and what is summer without a HarnCon? So, I offered to host a central/east-ish North American con for those who will not be able to join us in Middle Earth, or who (like me) are looking for any excuse to meet up with local Harniacs.

Sometime next summer, exact date and location to be determined (depending on work), I will be hosting a con in sunny Ottawa, Ontario, Canada....

I know of at least three Harniacs here in Ottawa who occasionally visit this forum. There are another three in Montreal and one or two in Toronto...and those are just the close ones. There are more in the mid-west USA and east coast.

I, in no way, am trying to lure people away from attending HarnCon - Middle Earth. I believe those that can attend, will attend...including me. But the fact is, not everyone can afford to go all the way to the other side of the planet. For those folks, and those like me who just want more Harn, I am offering something a little easier to reach (and the first eastern Canadian venue since Trenton).

For those considering visiting my fair city, there is plenty to do besides Harn...perhaps a few things interesting enough to entertain spouses and children while you are off gaming. We have world class museums, art galleries, shopping, historic sites and more.

More information to follow.

TTYL

- Kerry Mould

Last edited by Sageryne on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Count me in Kerry. I can't make Wellington, even though I'd love to go, but ottawa is only a 3 day drive for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:35 pm 
Knight
Knight

I intend to be there as well. I can't afford to go to Wellington, but with a year to prepare, Ottawa is certainly within my budget.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:29 pm 
Yeoman
Yeoman

Ah HA! I won't miss THIS one! Thanks, Kerry!

- Ed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:11 pm 
Knight
Knight

I like the idea of Ottowa 2011 Kerry, but the sticking point as I see it (for my future plans) is the when? I would like to see August 2011 myself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:38 pm 
Woodward
Woodward

I could drive that in a day - definitely possible.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:54 am 
Knight
Knight

It is high on my list of priorities. I have some coworkers in Ottawa, so I may even be able to expense the flight.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have now cleared it with the exchequer and started to save for it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:16 pm 
Woodward
Woodward

I plan to be there myself.

-- Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:28 pm 
Knight
Knight

I plan on being there. Just need dates to prevent the wife from planning a different vacation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:43 am 
Reeve
Reeve

There's a good chance I'll be able to come to Ottawa next summer!

It will be good to see folks again.

Cheers,
Brian

http://members.shaw.ca/harngm/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:24 am 
Bailiff
Bailiff

Sign me up! I can't make it to Wellington, but Ottawa is not that far away!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:45 pm 
Villein
Villein

If I'm alive and kicking, Ottawa sounds like a good place to be next summer. I'll also be in Wellington under the same conditions. Hmmm... Need to find out exact dates in NZ. Probably noted somewhere on this site.

Holland cruises has a trans-Pacific cruise leaving from Seattle. I've never sailed across the Pacific... Expensive. Oh well. It's only money.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:24 pm 
Knight
Knight

I had a few thoughts on this Kerry. First, why not a guided tour of Ottawa? Second, a trip to the Canadian War Museum (really nice place). Third, maybe a trip up to Parliment Hill. Amazing how a Yanqui knows these things......

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:59 pm 
Knight
Knight

I was planning a trip to the civilised part of Canada (Québec :twisted: ) this year, but that fell through. I'm going to reschedule it for next year, so that would be the perfect excuse to go to Hârncon X! I can't guarantee 100% that I'll be there yet, but it's in the planning, so barring any unforeseen problems, I should be able to make it.

I'm also planning to attend Iviniacon V, so if both event could take place at slightly different dates, that would be great.

Cheers,

Roland/Christophe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:31 pm 
Bailiff
Bailiff

Roland de Ronceveaux wrote:
... so that would be the perfect excuse to go to Hârncon X! ... I'm also planning to attend Iviniacon V ...

Making up for missing 2009, Christophe?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:01 pm 
Knight
Knight

Yes. :D

I also need to check out Québec (city), for various reasons, so it's a "kill two birds with one stone" thing. And if we manage cook up something for Lythiacon 2012, I'll also double up as a travelling salesman. :wink:

Christophe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:49 pm 
Woodward
Woodward

In about a month and a half, I'll be 6 hours away in the cold north in Sudbury on a permanent basis, but I suppose I could make it back to the city next summer for a weekend if the timing is right, which would have to be in the first half of June (or earlier) or the second half of August (or after).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:54 pm 
Knight
Knight

Roland de Ronceveaux wrote:
Yes. :D

I also need to check out Québec (city), for various reasons, so it's a "kill two birds with one stone" thing. And if we manage cook up something for Lythiacon 2012, I'll also double up as a travelling salesman. :wink:

Christophe

I'm gearing up for Wellington, don't know about Ottawa. I'd LOVE to hit Lythiacon :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:16 pm 
Knight
Knight

I wish I was going to Wellington but is not in the money situation for me. Ottawa is closer but the time frame needs to be right for me, say next August (hint, hint).... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:45 pm 
Knight
Knight

Is there any update to a possible Harncon X yet? With 2011 around the corner, would like to start lining up my things as it were.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:58 pm 
Knight
Knight

Hi Paul,

I have not yet finalized the details. I have been quite busy with a new position at work and trips to both Afghanistan and Jamaica in the last three weeks. I will probably not have time to do too much planning before I return from New Zealand at the end of January. I know people need to make plans for their summer vacations. Is February too late to know the final date? When MUST you know by?

- Kerry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:12 pm 
Knight
Knight

For me it would the first half of next month, MAYBE as late as the end of the month. Have to make vacation selections then. I was going to select the first three weeks of August (that has an alterior motive). Any body else?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:36 am 
Constable
Constable

It's the opposite for me - I can plan all I want but project needs can force changes close to the last minute.
My company would never stop me from taking a 3-week trip to France that I had long planned for my 50th birthday (Harncon XI)- they're not jerks about it - but the price of that is flexibility on the smaller trips. It's aggravated by the fact that I have no backup - when I am away there is nobody to do my work.
I have enough vacation time to last until Doomsday, so I can probably make Harncon X whenever it is as long as work schedules permit, which is likely.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:55 am 
Bailiff
Bailiff

john wrote:
It's aggravated by the fact that I have no backup - when I am away there is nobody to do my work.

... something that is equally true here!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next