Roland de Ronceveaux wrote:
In my p-Hârn, here's how things are going to go down in Western Hârn (in very, very short). The starting date is not fixed yet, but the action will probably be concurrent with the Civil War in Kaldor, and other happenings in Eastern Hârn.
- Marshall Kronas gathers up enough support from a coalition of the expansionist and Imperial faction, and sends the Ramala Legion against the Gozyda. The hidden purpose is to provoke Kanday into war.
- Being hard-pressed, the Gozyda tribes beseech Kanday for support. Andasin does not want to commit officially, and sends "volunteers" to help the barbarians. The hawkish faction in Kanday howls for war on Tharda.
- Kronas arranges an "ambush", into which the son of a prominent Senator (commanding a company) is killed by supposedly Kandayan troops. In the Senate, Kronas denounces the "treachery" of the southern weaklings and whips the Coranan populace into a patriotic frenzy. The Senate declares war on Kanday, with Marshall Kronas as Commander-in-Chief.
- Kronas invades Kanday, besieging Heroth and Ibonost.
- Andasin leads a Kandayan army to the rescue of Heroth. He is crushed in the field by Kronas's legions and barely manages to escape with his life.
- Heroth falls. Quivum is besieged in turn.
- With his two dangerous neighbours otherwise engaged, King Chafin of Rethem moves against Earl Lynnaeus.
- Quivum and Ibonost are taken by the Thardans. The armies converges towards Dyrisa.
- A Melderyni delegation is covertly send to Tharda, laden with gold. For greater discretion, the delegation is split into three parties. Two will never reach Coranan. The last party does not have enough gold to bribe the Senate into an open majority against Kronas.
- Ohetis surrenders. Kronas starts investing Dyrisa.
- King Andasin is evacuated from the Capital. Crown Prince Anaflas remains to lead the defence of the city.
- From Aleath, King Andasin asks aid from Melderyn. Melderyn refuses, but allows volunteers to go. Many Melderyni knights embark for Kanday.
- In Rethem, the Earl of Tormau has victory on the field of battle snatched from him at the last moment, when his Ivinian mercenaries turn against him. The Earl retreats to his lands in west Rethem.
- Kronas besieges Dyrisa throughout winter. Anaflas repulses every assault on the city.
- In spring, King Andasin leads Kanday's remaining forces, augmented by the Melderyni volunteers, to the relief of Dyrisa. However, Kronas has built a concentric double ring of fortifications around the capital to resist any coordinated attempts at breaking the siege. The Kandayan army fails to relieve Dyrisa, and is forced to backtrack south when news arrive that a Thardan legion, emerging from the Gozyda heartland, has taken Sumon in a surprise assault.
- Chafin slowly progresses towards Tormau, against fierce resistance.
- With many casualties, Andasin recaptures Sumon. The Ramala legion, with drawn-out lines of supply stretching through Gozyda territory, is forced to abandon its foothold on the west bank of the Eryn and starts on its long trek back towards Tharda.
- In a series of daring ambushes, Tormau's forces halt the progress of the royal army. In a rage, Chafin calls on all Agrikan orders within Rethem to join his crusade against the "heathen" Earl.
- Dyrisa faces a second winter of siege. Defenders resort to eating rats and chewing the straps of leather harnesses. Acts of cannibalism are reported.
- After showing preparations to settle down for the winter, the Thardan army springs a surprise assault of the city. Despite a ferocious defence by the Prince, the exhausted and dispirited capital yields. Anaflas is killed in the action.
- In response to charges of heresy, the earl of Tormau uses his Kuboran contacts to hire barbarian mercenaries.
- In Aleath, King Andasin faces the discontent of his barons. The Earl of Selvos and the Checkered shield refuse to send any more men and further weaken the Rethemi border. Many Lords protest how House Milaka has led Kanday to its ruin. Rumours of a plot to overthrow Andasin surface.
- During the winter, the Earl of Sarkum secretly visits Cherafir on behalf of the King. A deal is struck with the Council of Eleven: if Melderyn intervenes, Andasin pledges to appoint his brother-in-law Prince Jevas Toron as the Crown Prince of Kanday, and himself never to marry. Upon the death of Andasin, the Kandayan Crown would pass on to Melderyn.
- King Chunel calls-up the fleet, and the Royal levy. The Melderyni army is comprised mainly of men from the islands, so as not to deplete the mainland too much against events happening in Eastern Hârn. The forces will be led by Prince Jevas.
- As spring arrives, the Melderyni fleet sets sail for Aleath. Kronas has to go to Coranan to defeat a motion by the Senate demoting him, due to the war taking too long. In his absence, the Thardan legions march south and are defeated by the combined armies of Melderyn and Kanday.
- Kronas hurries back to Dyrisa to organise the defences.
- King Chafin finally wins the backing of the Earl of Techen and all the Agrikan fighting orders. He renews his push against Earl Lynnaeus, and defeats his forces. Chafin lays siege to Tormau.
- The allied army lays siege to Dyrisa. Benefitting from inside complicity, the gates are thrown open one night, and the attackers rush in. Kronas is forced to evacuate the city, but retreats in good order.
- Andasin parades in the street of the capital to the cheers of the liberated populace.
- Kronas is removed from command of the Legions by the Senate.
- The allied army marches north. Ohetis is besieged. The disorganised Thardan armies are defeated in battle north of the town. Ohetis surrenders.
- Chafin launches his final assault on Tormau. The castle is taken, but not before Lynnaeus and his retinue escape by ship. A naval battle develops, with Chafin's fleet pitted against the few remaining Ivinian ships in Tormau's service, as well as a mystery fleet of Daks and Niviks, led by a Karune. The Rethemi navy is defeated, and Lynnaeus is evacuated.
- The allied army besieges Quivum. After a long resistance, the town surrenders. Jevas and Andasin march on Heroth.
- Winter sets in. Chafin extends his iron grip on Rethem. For the price of their help, the Copper Hook demands that the King declare war on Kanday and attack Menekod. It is rumored that the King is considering acceding to their request.
- News reach Shostim that Lynnaeus has found refuge somewhere in Peran.
- Riot erupts in Coranan against the mismanagement of the war. On a wave of popular discontent, Kronas seizes the capital and declares himself Autarch. A severely depopulated Senate confirms him in his post.
- With the spring thaw, Kronas leads the legions to Heroth. In a mighty battle, the allied army is forced back from the walls of the town, suffering heavy losses.
- The Copper Hook increases its activities in Northwest Kanday.
- Several Thardan provinces dispute the appointment of the Autarch.
- Tharda and Kanday sign a peace treaty. Heroth reverts to the Kandian Crown, but Tharda retains northern Norea, Ibonost and a large chunk of eastern Daen. The Kandian lords are reportedly dissatisfied with this settlement but are too weakened by the war to protest.
- King Andasin confirms Jevas Toron as Crown Prince of Kanday, in a public ceremony in Dyrisa.
- After consideration, King Chafin decides not to declare war on Kanday, but appeases the Copper Hook by funneling arms, supplies and men to them.
- Earl Lynnaeus rebuilds his power in Peran with his Kuboran friends and Melderyni support. His clan intermarries with Kuboran lines. This could give rise to a new Arlun, or an attack by Chafin on Peran to prevent this.
- Kronas needs to assert control of Tharda. Will he succeed or not? Also the Gozyda conquest is not complete.
- A boosted Copper Hook increases tension along the Kanday-Rethem border. Will there be another Ezar's war?
- Jevas is the new Crown Prince of Kanday, but will Andasin keep his bargain never to produce an heir? Also, are the Kandayan Barons going to let the Kingdom be absorbed by Melderyn?
As a side note, I am struggling through the final phase of my KSC article. This is not a depiction of the KSC, but a guide supplying analysis and ideas for making your own Succession Crisis.
I was initially going to include a Civil War summary in it (in the same style as above), but decided against it to make a separate article. Now I'm toying with the idea of writing a "Future History of p-Hârn" article, since I basically developed similar timelines for all of Hârn up to 730TR+.
By 730+, the following have occured:
- Kaldoric Succession Crisis
- Rethemi Civil War
- Tharda/Kanday War
- The Solora Crusade
- 2nd Jarin Rebellion
- Ride of the K'ron
By 760+, I am planning:
- Wolves of Harbaal
- The Union of the Crowns
- War of the Duels Arcane
- Rise of the Foulspawn
- Rebirth of the Empire
- Khuzan Great March