Tarrying in Tashal and Environs

A place for members to provide other with game reports; narratives on what happened in their ongoing Hârn games and what kooky things their players did during their sessions.

Moderators: Spartan, NicktheLemming

MDMann
Knight
Knight

Re: Tarrying in Tashal and Environs

#151 Postby MDMann » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:57 am

Math is always fun! :D

I'd now be tempted to kill the king and call a succession council to derail all these plots.
Per Sir Veer.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#152 Postby Rothesay » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:39 am

Session 134 is now available here.

Meden plays quite a few cards, Baris is confronted by math, and Aeomund's crisis of conscience inches closer ...

Enjoy! 8)

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#153 Postby Rothesay » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Session 135 is now available.

Now who could be behind the assassination of Queen Hesena?

Enjoy! 8)

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#154 Postby MDMann » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:38 pm

All hotting up. Another good read.

Suspended animation? That would be Odivshe in application I think... possibly Fyrvian, which borders it on the wheel anyway.

I wonder what will happen to Curos plans from all this? It doesn't suit him at all. Not when there's likely to be a succession council and certainly a council of ministers and peers. Osel probably has the most to gain from this and if not is an ideal scapegoat.
Per Sir Veer.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#155 Postby Rothesay » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:51 am

MDMann wrote:possibly Fyrvian,

:wink:

MDMann wrote:I wonder what will happen to Curos plans from all this? It doesn't suit him at all. Not when there's likely to be a succession council and certainly a council of ministers and peers.

Said council took place the following day. Balim canvassed everyone over the night and while he failed to carry the vote to get the succession placed in the hands of clan Elendsa, they did 'remove the heavy burden of the crown from a sick man.' The council then assumed the royal prerogative until a new monarch could be chosen. By the council, of course. Astaroc sat in for the first time and cast the Elendsa vote. A subset of three: Astaroc, Edine Kynn, and Meden (!) were chosen to handle the 'search' for a new monarch. They all agreed to decide by the middle of the next month, Savor 15. Balim, of course, has a specific candidate in mind and will be spending the time organizing that. Meden will be doing the same for himself.

Ewen proposed (brilliantly) that the council be limited to the nine present. This locks out Vemion, Osel, and anyone else who was late to the party.

MDMann wrote:Osel probably has the most to gain from this and if not is an ideal scapegoat.

And so he became. Under torture, the assassin implicated one of Osel's men. That remains to be played out.

Nightly Knight
Beadle
Beadle

#156 Postby Nightly Knight » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:38 pm

I just wanted to say: I love reading about your campaign. It's practically like reading a novel. The character interactions are fun, most of all though I enjoy your depiction of the different nobles and their attitudes and plans. You really bring it to life. It's also been helpful to me in figuring out how to bring to life my own campaign.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#157 Postby Rothesay » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:11 am

Thanks - very kind! It's always good to know that people are enjoying the notes and find them of use in their pHarns. 8)

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#158 Postby MDMann » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:44 am

Well it's brilliant from Ewens point of view. Those absent are able to contest the council with arms and legitimacy unless it's very quick in deciding. Yet it binds the council members to support the choice. Of course, with the Serekela helping choose it cuts down the opportunity to oppose the choice greatly.
Per Sir Veer.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#159 Postby Rothesay » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:48 am

Session 136 is now available here.

As noted, King Haldan III is deprived of the crown. Orsin Firith is having major second thoughts, but I'm not sure my players have noticed yet. Astounding! 8)

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#160 Postby MDMann » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:23 pm

Who could they propose?

The Earl of Minarsas is a solid choice, probably the best candidate. Not good for Ewen, he'd have to work to prevent that (or lose his Barony if not his life).

Curo of course. Not really trusted. Bur strong. Balim can't accept that.

An Elendsa. It's safest and has most legitimacy. It's easiest to sell to the rest of the nobility and the church.

One of the brothers or cousins. Ubael the Younger perhaps. Strong links to Balim and Firith (who he squired for). No strength of his own to bring from his father's weak Barony (though popular). Reasonable, but likely opposed by Curo.

Astaroc himself as a compromise (his age might help as it gives people time to arrange a more stable succession). The person most to object could be Astaroc himself, genuinely strengthening his position.

The Indama boy. Curos man probably.

Ewen as a wild card. Which might actually upset Ewens plans and almost guarantees conflict with Rethem. Which he can't reveal of course. Possibly Melderyn too.

Lenera. Conwans daughter. A thought. Or his sister.

Harabor. Can't quite discount him yet.

Brandis. The same.

Someone else?

The next question would be what price people could expect for their support?
Per Sir Veer.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#161 Postby Rothesay » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:05 am

MDMann wrote:Who could they propose?

Ok, so sneak peek. :wink:

MDMann wrote:The Earl of Minarsas is a solid choice, probably the best candidate.

He has become rather unhinged of late, and not a drop of royal blood. But Vemion before his son's death would have made an able monarch.

MDMann wrote:Curo of course. Not really trusted. Bur strong. Balim can't accept that.

No, yet I think Meden would be a fine king in the Louis XI mold.

MDMann wrote:An Elendsa. ... Ubael the Younger perhaps. Strong links to Balim and Firith (who he squired for). No strength of his own to bring from his father's weak Barony (though popular).

Close, but not quite ...

MDMann wrote:Astaroc himself as a compromise (his age might help as it gives people time to arrange a more stable succession). The person most to object could be Astaroc himself, genuinely strengthening his position.

Nope, though I am letting it hang out there. Firith's comment he didn't know about him is telling.

MDMann wrote:The Indama boy. Curos man probably.

Well, he's married to an Elendsa. It's his underage kids who have the claim, or his wife. And yes, the Indamas are in the tank with Curo.

MDMann wrote:Ewen as a wild card. Which might actually upset Ewens plans and almost guarantees conflict with Rethem. Which he can't reveal of course. Possibly Melderyn too.

No. Nothing like conjuring one's not-dead father and being taken to the woodshed big time. Ewen's player knows Duke of Kaldor is in the cards, but King would upset the whole carefully constructed plan.

MDMann wrote:Lenera. Conwans daughter. A thought. Or his sister.

Dead, dead, and Peonian. His siblings should be in the running, but the council seems to take being Peonian clergy as disqualifying.

MDMann wrote:Harabor. Can't quite discount him yet.

Mirild and Kornuska are very much in the game.

MDMann wrote:Brandis. The same.

Alive, and a wild card.

MDMann wrote:Someone else?

Yes, Serli Ubael the Younger. Queen Chelebin IV! :lol:

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#162 Postby MDMann » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:35 am

I like Serli. A good choice.

I think you've got her as Fyrvian, though I pegged her as Peleahn. With her mother as Lyhavi (a late bloomer). The family also take on the spinster daughter of Kobarney, a major vassal as chamberlain (Savoryan) and maintain the town Odivshe as a tutor, plus his mavari. All on the QT.

Now who doth she wed? And what appointments does she make?
Last edited by MDMann on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Per Sir Veer.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#163 Postby Rothesay » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:48 am

MDMann wrote:Now who doth she wed? And what appointments does she make?

That I do not know. Events need to unfold a bit.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#164 Postby MDMann » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 am

It should nicely mess with your players. They know she's Shek Pvar, but does everyone else? Astaroc probably.

Balim could support her anyway as the daughter of a loyal vassal.

The other nobles wouldn't fear a consolidation of holdings and she's suddenly very eligible.

She's Firiths niece. Her brother was her squire. A cousin is Master of Squires and her other uncle is the able Lord Advocate.

She holds Elendsa blood. Her mother is another candidate, though her frailty might exclude her.
Per Sir Veer.

Return to “Tavern Tales”