Hello

This is where new forum members can introduce themselves, tell us a bit about their roleplaying, the style of game they play, and anything else they want to share.

Moderator: Spartan

Peleliu
Cottar
Cottar

Hello

#1 Post by Peleliu » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:17 pm

I have been a lurker for a long time and thought I might finally say hello. I've been following the goings on in Harn since roughly 1983-84. In all those decades I have played only a handful of RPGs with other players, about half of which I was the GM. I have never actually played a game set in Harn or with the rules because I could never convince people to leave their safe zone and dive in. Most of my time in the RPG scene has been spent world building and fussing about with solo play. Besides being in love with Harn for so long, the other RPGs I have experience with include Traveller, Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Star Wars, Role Master, MERP, and of course D&D/AD&D. Most of my time these days is spent playing wargames and historical miniatures and, of course, computer games like CK2 and EU4. Even so, Harn still beckons. I have ideas of contributing to the Nelafayn Hundred project and have toyed around with creating some sort of detailed gazeteer of Kaldor's lesser freeman and peasant clans. I would also love to try out online gaming through Skype or Teamspeak at some point in the future. Anyway, glad to finally say hello and hope to see you all around.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

Re: Hello

#2 Post by MDMann » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:30 pm

Welcome. Try out the free fanon on the site. It's good. Dive into Nelafyn too and contribute your own. It should be well received.
Per Sir Veer.

Munin
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by Munin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:45 pm

Welcome! Yeah, it can sometimes be hard to get people to step outside their comfort zone to try a new game. I am incredibly fortunate to have a group of players who like to experiment with new systems and genres. It helps that most of us have been gaming for 20+ years (35+ in my case).

Out of curiosity, what sort of historical minis games are you into? I've recently (within the last year or two) been bitten by the historical wargaming bug and am a big fan of TFL's Chain of Command.

Peleliu
Cottar
Cottar

#4 Post by Peleliu » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:51 am

My historical miniature interests are mainly Renaissance to Early Modern (Italian Wars through League of Augsburg) and Ancient periods (Bronze Age through Late Roman). Currently using Art de la Guerre (ADLG) for ancients using 15mm miniatures. I used to use DBR and Field of Glory for Early Modern, but am hoping for a version of ADLG for Early Modern. I have a mix of 25/28mm and 15mm armies for the Early Modern era. I also dabble in SAGA for the Dark Ages. Let us not discuss my 6mm Franco-Prussian War fetish...

If anyone out there likes to use miniatures for their HARN games, there are some outstanding 28mm figures out there now that would really work well for gaming. Gripping Beast is a good source, but any search for 28mm SAGA miniatures should point you in the right direction.

Munin
Knight
Knight

#5 Post by Munin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:35 am

Nice! I have tried to limit my historical stuff to just WW2 and the American Civil War. But I'm not gonna lie, the lure of Saga is strong...

Peleliu
Cottar
Cottar

#6 Post by Peleliu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Since you mentioned ACW, I also enjoy ACW Ironclads. Both 1/600 and 1/200.